TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc.

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-14-2009, 09:39 AM   #41
TLRam1

Re: Adventure Quest - NW Arkansas May 23-24, 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
It would be great on the dirt part of the ride. As long as the paved parts were 55mph or less then it would do just fine.
Because of vibration or the motor wouldn't have much left above 55? Raise the front sprocket as you did, how much will that help?

My mama always told me never put off till tomorrow people you can kill today.

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 04 WR450
TLRam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #42
WoodButcher
Administrator

I find that if I gear the bike for consistent speeds over 55mph, then first gear is too tall for good offroad riding. I think I'm running at 7k rpm at 60mph. The bike will rev to 13k and I don't mind reving some, but I just don't like running that high for a long time. So no long highway stretches for me.

So, not a vibration issue, that's fine, but a rpm issue.

When I walk along some railroad track and find
That you're movin' on the back roads
By the rivers of my memory
And for hours you're just gentle on my mind
"Gentle On My Mind" - Glen Campbell

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:46 AM   #43
TLRam1

Is there a charge or fee to go on this trip other than the normal, fuel, hotel food, etc?

74 Suzuki GT750 / 74 Suzuki T500 / 75 Suzuki GT380 / 01 Honda Magna / 03 Kawasaki KX250 / 04 WR450
Old 04-15-2009, 06:42 AM   #44
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLRam1 View Post
Is there a charge or fee to go on this trip other than the normal, fuel, hotel food, etc?
Good question. There are no fees or other registration costs this year.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net
Trail Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:44 AM   #45
dfwrider
Forum Supporter

I am booked for this trip, and it will be my first group trip. I will be bringing my plated KTM 450 XCW, which from the pictures/videos appears to be the proper choice (I also have a GS 1200). Looking forward to the trip.
dfwrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #46
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwrider View Post
I will be bringing my plated KTM 450 XCW, which from the pictures/videos appears to be the proper choice (I also have a GS 1200).
You bring up a great point.

Based on my limited experience and the information I've gathered from other riders that have ridden there, it appears there isn't much in the way of class 2 roads in northwest Arkansas. All the county and national forest gravel and dirt roads were basically class 1 and the unmaintained roads are class 3.

I'm riding my DRZ, not my Wee, because class 3 on an adventure bike is just too much work and not much fun.

Anyone planning on riding off-paved on one of the big adventure bikes should give some thought to this.

On the other hand, the pavement riding in NW Arkansas is not only superb but is destination worthy in its own right. And is a heck of a lot of fun on one of the adventure bikes.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

www.texasadventure.net

Last edited by Trail Boss; 04-15-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #47
PigTrail

There are literally hundreds of miles of roads in NW Arkansas that look like this. Perfect for the wee's and heftier adv riders of the world.

On the other hand, the less maintained stuff is a lot more fun on a small bike.

This and others are not very wee friendly!

Not warloop, but still enough to make you pucker.

www.DualSportDispatch.com

Last edited by Tourmeister; 04-15-2009 at 03:46 PM.
PigTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:49 PM   #48
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

The route we did the first day of the trip I posted earlier in this thread would NOT be one you'd want to do on a Vstrom 650 or any of the other "Adventure" bikes. It was pretty rough even for the KLR 650's and XR 650's. There was this one guy on a little green two smoker that seemed to be having some real fun!! The route we did for the second day had a few spots that would not be good for Stroms and other Adv bikes, but for the most part it was twisty versions of the first image in the above post.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #49
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Based on my recon several weeks ago, I've updated my recommendations as to the most appropriate type of bike to ride during this event. Below is the update I've posted on the first post.

Additionally I've come up with 6 routes for the groups to explore and have linked to them in .gpx format.

What should you ride? Your dual sport bike. Will there be routes suitable for both the big adventure bikes and the dual sport bikes? Not really, at least not in my limited experience. The non-paved roads in the area seem to consist of easy class 1 dirt / gravel roads and hard, rocky class 3 dirt roads. There isn't much class 2 riding. For this reason, if you want to ride off-pavement I recommend a dual sport bike, not one of the big adventure bikes. While you can ride an Adventure bike on class 3 it is a heck of a lot of work and not much fun, in my opinion. I'll be on my DRZ-400, not my Wee, for this very reason.

What if all I have is a big Adventure bike? Should I stay home? Well, you could stick to the pavement. Seriously, the paved roads in northwest Arkansas are world-class twisties and are destination worthy all by themselves. Or, if you don't mind riding class 1 dirt/gravel, then there are ample dirt roads to play on. But, if you want more of a challenge and are looking for class 2, then this isn't the ride for you.

My intent is not to discourage adventure bike riders from attending. It is simply to let you know that the non-paved stuff in this area is pretty much either easy or hard, with little moderately difficult (i.e. class 2) available.

Routes: I've planned 6 different routes for us to explore. I haven't ridden any of these routes yet, so this will be a ride of exploration. Here are the routes in .gpx format. Right click and save to your hard drive. When you open any of the routes, don't recalculate them. Quite a few of the roads are not on the map so I used direct routing (vs auto routing) on these routes. If your GPS recalculates the route you will most likely not display correctly. The 6 Routes

www.texasadventure.net
Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 PM   #50
TLRam1

I take it you need a GPS to use for these routes or hook up with someone who has a GPS, correct?

Is this too difficult to print maps off and follow?

Old 04-23-2009, 11:58 PM   #51
TLRam1

I see I can't edit the last post....

After getting my WR250 dual sported out last weekend, I bought a WR450, I will be switching all my items to that bike if all is good mechanically, that will be the bike I would be taking.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #52
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
Routes: I've planned 6 different routes for us to explore. I haven't ridden any of these routes yet, so this will be a ride of exploration. Here are the routes in .gpx format. Right click and save to your hard drive. When you open any of the routes, don't recalculate them. Quite a few of the roads are not on the map so I used direct routing (vs auto routing) on these routes. If your GPS recalculates the route you will most likely not display correctly. The 6 Routes
It would really help if you put in more way points so that it is more obvious which roads you intend people to travel. I am sure, that you intend this to be used in conjunction with written directions, but it is easier if we just have more breadcrumbs on the route so that the straight lines more closely follow the route.

Also, my experience is that the stuff NW of town is more difficult that the stuff to the NE. The NW stuff was the first day of that report I posted, definitely class 3 in many places and I would not want to see anyone in there on a Strom or other "Adventure" bike. KLR's can do it but it will be tough in places for inexperienced riders, especially if there is any rain right before the trip. The stuff to the NE is mostly the nice graded stuff that any bike could ride. Even though it is not real technical, a lot of it is still really fun just because it is twisty and scenic.

I also found that just because the maps show there being a numbered forest road, it does not mean that you will in fact be able to access that road. We ran into quite a few locked gates and dead ends. This will definitely be an exploratory trip. For anyone running a GPS, PLEASE save your tracks! If you get them to Richard after the trip, he can use them to better plan events for the future

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #53
TLRam1

Will the Quest work with breadcrumbs and these routes?

Old 04-24-2009, 06:56 AM   #54
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Hey Guys,

I'm planning on providing maps for each group of riders.

I'm using the Ozark National Forest map as it is the best map I've found. It not only seems to be quite accurate but it appears to be appreciable more accurate than City Navigator, Google Maps, or the DeLorme Atlas. Because it seems to be the most accurate map I used it for planning the 6 routes.

I'm making copies of the pertinent sections of this map and will be bringing them with me to pass out to you guys. I think/hope that when you cross reference the map and the GPS routes you will be easily able to navigate the intended roads.

If anyone wants the full map, give the forest service in that part of Arkansas a call and I think they can sell you one over the phone and mail it to you. I suggest buying one now so you can scope it out prior to this ride. Call the main office in forest service office Russellville at 479-968-2354 and ask if they can send you an Ozark National Forest map.

Alternatively, you can purchase a map during the ride if the route you are on goes by one of the forest service offices and that office has one in stock.

Using Hwy 21 out of Clarksville as the demarcation line between east/west, 3 of the routes are in the NW area and 3 of them are in the NE area. My recon last month was all in the NW area and the unmaintained roads were class 3. I haven't ridden the NE area yet (but I will this trip) so I refer riders to Scott's comments as to the level of difficulty of the unmaintaned roads in the NE area.

And, finally, Scott hit the nail squarely on the head - this is an exploratory trip. So, bring your sense of adventure and exploration with you and know that you will be blazing a trail for the dual sport adventure riding community during this ride.

www.texasadventure.net
Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #55
cdc1

A suggestion: if you contact the Forest Service or any other "official", do not tell them you are part of a group or organized ride. Many parts of that area of Arkansas is National land and any "organized" group may be required to have a permit. RL Lemke put on the Fall Color Tour for many years in that same exact area and found it harder and harder each year to be granted a permit. Finally, the last couple of years, he just said it was riders who happened to show up at the same time and place to ride and there was no organized intent.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #56
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

cdc1,

Thank you for the info. That's good to know.

www.texasadventure.net
Old 04-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #57
hamish54

Richard,

Please help my ineptness. Right clicking on the route files only gives the option of saving file as an .hml file type. What am I doing wrong? Could you post the actual gpx files with the gpx extension?

Thanks,
Bill
hamish54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #58
WoodButcher
Administrator

Probably an issue with associated file types on your side. The files actually have a gps extention. Just manually change extension when you save. If you have Windows set to hide known file extensions that can mess you up a little too.

When I walk along some railroad track and find
That you're movin' on the back roads
By the rivers of my memory
And for hours you're just gentle on my mind
"Gentle On My Mind" - Glen Campbell

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #59
mike j

Two for arkansas. Norton Mike and Norton Steve
Thanks.
mike j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #60
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Bill,

Did you get the issue worked out on the gps files?

www.texasadventure.net