• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

pie run IX: New Waverly ride reports

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
well some folks have started the pie run a day early and they wanted a ride report thread to post pics in and they don't know how to start one. so here it is.:lol2:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411756398.053427.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1411756413.304069.jpg

iPhone Tapatalk

Sites 57 & 59 on either side of us are open.
Come and join us.
BigDave will be joining us around 8pm tonight.

iPhone Tapatalk

hmm I would have figured there would be a lot of reports up by the time I got home:-?

well this was pie run #60 for me and the 35th in a row.

pretty good turn out, we had ten more than had signed up so it was a bit of a cluster.

once again, Thank you Erik!:clap::clap:

Rich and my self took the express route down I-45 but a more interesting return route that included some off pavement adventure riding, all the more fun with Rich on his goldwing:eek2: well it was due for a wash anyways and the oil lubricates things not routinely lubed. :doh::mrgreen:

despite bringing a new camera I unfortunately didn't get many pics.

yep he is Scott's boy alright!
IMG_0013_zpse639330b.jpg

angry bike!
IMG_0018_zps82572298.jpg

early birds
IMG_0012_zpse37e7548.jpg

Leon and I had a great ride today. The weather was great all day. I wound up with 450 miles for the day.

I think the Wing is now dirtier than most of the dual sports that were at lunch! LOL

A BIG thanks to Erik.

No big miles here, 8 miles up the road but did add a few for 79 miles.

Thanks Leon for the pic of the Guzzi as we see few of them. I did get mine back together enough to start it and will get in a test ride in the morning. Glad ya'll had a good ride and you helped Rich have something to do tomorrow.

Great ride! This was my new girlfriends first ride with me, and I couldn't have asked for a better introduction for her. Weather was overcast most of the way, keeping the temps down, and our ride leader, Chad chose a very scenic route. Food was excellent, and our service was fast and accurate. We got to visit around some, and she was so impressed with how friendly everyone was. Thanks to all who made it, and we're looking forward to the next one already.

Had a nice ride out there and back with Steven, Jeff and Rusty. We met at Ken's place in Austin and left from there. Thanks for leading the ride out Jeff and for leading the ride back Rusty. Put about 346 miles on the bike, so a pretty decent ride; especially with the threat of rain. Good to see so many riders, but since we got our food so late, most were gone by the time we finished eating, so didn't get to meet many. Pie was good! :eat:

Sorry I missed one so close to home. I had other plans in College Station for the whole weekend. It was a rare gathering of a whole gang of guys I have been friends with since high school. For all eight of us to have the same weekend free is too good to pass up when it happens.

A BIG thanks to Erik.

No big miles here, 8 miles up the road but did add a few for 79 miles.
Tony,
It was great meeting you and talking in the parking lot after lunch with me and WhiskeySmith. Really enjoyed the Waverly House accommodations and excellent food:eat: as well as the camping in Huntsville SP. It was also great to get over to see an area I had not before had the pleasure to visit. Hope to see you in the not too distant future. Take care.:rider:

well some folks have started the pie run a day early and they wanted a ride report thread to post pics in and they don't know how to start one. so here it is.:lol2:

Good to finally meet you at the Pie Run Saturday. WhiskeySmith and I had ridden over and it was a great time visiting new folks and camping at HSP. Hope to catch you again at the next and congrats on your consecutive PR streak!:clap:

Another yummy Pie Run. Thank you Leon! Excellent weather on the ride over. I counted 26 motorbikes when Need2Tour and I arrived (a bit late). At least four more Pie Runners arrived after us...so at least 30 bikes. Nice turnout. Got to visit with BlazerRalph (hadn't seen him in over a year) and meet Hemibee. Great to see you guys.

A pano-shot of the parking lot, taken after many had began their ride home...
pierunpano1cropped.jpg

After the Pie Run, Need2Tour and I joined TossingLead, RedDogBMW, and BigDave at their campsite at Huntsville SP.

A snack before the dinner meal...
ry%3D400.jpg

BigDave had a Lasagna/Casserole concoction rigged up on a timer so that it cooked while they were out playing in the SHNF trails. Just before sundown he added some garlic bread for good measure and then rang the dinner bell...
ry%3D400.jpg

After dinner, as TossingLead has already mentioned, we watched a movie. The selection was "On Any Sunday"...
ry%3D400.jpg

Great weekend!

Last edited:
Left the house while it was still dark. Rode through some on/off light drizzle.
Almost 8am with 152 miles to go.
P9277111.jpg~original

Sun trying to break through the clouds. I ran on 290 for a short bit but for the most part took back roads. A wonderfully delightful ride. Even had to pass a wagon train on 149. Sorry I didn't get any pictures of it, was too busy watching out for the horseback riders and horse drawn wagons. Wonder what event they were headed to?
P9277113.jpg~original

Riding through the SHNF was great!
P9277115.jpg~original

P9277116.jpg~original

Quite a crowd when I arrived. (panorama picture)
P9277118_stitch_r.jpg~original

P9277128.jpg~original

The "back room" was full so some of us ate in the main dinning room.
P9277124.jpg~original

I had (a very long wait) the grilled catfish.
P9277125.jpg~original

and a salad. Why is it that I never remember to take the picture BEFORE I start eating :-(
P9277122.jpg~original

The check-out line.
P9277126.jpg~original

The group mingling prior to leaving. (panorama picture) Notice how someone was merged 3 times into the single shot.
P9277130_stitch_r.jpg~original

Back through the SHNF
P9277134.jpg~original

Across Lake Conroe
P9277135.jpg~original

About the half way point back to Austin I stopped by this stand. Their last day open for the season. They must of had 60 flavors lsited.
P9277137.jpg~original

Was surprised to see so much cotton still in the fields so late in the season.
P9277140.jpg~original

Rode past a polo match.
P9277143.jpg~original

4 miles from home, low gas warning light on, running on reserve and now it rains.
P9277145.jpg~original

All in all a wonderful day. Great seeing everyone again.

Tony,
It was great meeting you and talking in the parking lot after lunch with me and WhiskeySmith. Really enjoyed the Waverly House accommodations and excellent food:eat: as well as the camping in Huntsville SP. It was also great to get over to see an area I had not before had the pleasure to visit. Hope to see you in the not too distant future. Take care.:rider:

Great meeting you too. Now that you've been to the area, don't be a stranger. I hope to ride over in y'alls neck of the woods before too much longer. I've been over there a bunch of times but never on the bike.

The group mingling prior to leaving. (panorama picture) Notice how someone was merged 3 times into the single shot.
P9277130_stitch_r.jpg~original

Looks like ReddogBMW.
Brian, who now has photo proof of being able to be in three places at the same time, must consider just how strong any alibi he might have is if its ever needed in the future.

Looks like a good time was had by all. Sorry to have missed it.

Back