• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Got a GoPro Hero 3+ Black...

Uhhh Ohhh... LINK

gopro1.jpg

Haha I told my wife yesterday, that I hate my gopro (3+ black) now because it's junk :Rolf:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uhhh Ohhh... LINK

gopro1.jpg
As awesome as the H4 Black is, the H4 Silver is the one that's tempting me.
Sure 4k30p is awesome, but more than a little overkill.

That said, I want four H4 Blacks :deal:

And the 'plain' Hero is awesome for it's price point! Cheap camera with all the cool things that GoPro has become.

As awesome as the H4 Black is, the H4 Silver is the one that's tempting me.
Sure 4k30p is awesome, but more than a little overkill.

That said, I want four H4 Blacks :deal:

And the 'plain' Hero is awesome for it's price point! Cheap camera with all the cool things that GoPro has become.

The touch screen LCD on the back of the silver is sweet. Decent price too.
4k30 is way more than 95* of the users out there. The files would be HUGE and take forever to load, edit and render.

I was in Fry's the other day and was amazed at the number of competitors. Seems like I saw four different manufacturers, each with a small unit in a plastic case and also offering poles, chest harnesses, floaty backs etc. With that many other offerings, this has to be a HUGE market for small quality portable and durable video offerings.

The h4 black's 1080p/120 is worthwhile for me. I may finally pick one up. Should do some nice slow mo's of naps. The 1080p/60 and 720p/120 of the h4 silver isn't shabby either.

So thinking a bit with no solution, how do you tether the camera to something in the event of a mounting failure? I was thinking 8" fishing leaders somehow. I'd hate to mount it only to see its not there after some period of time.

So thinking a bit with no solution, how do you tether the camera to something in the event of a mounting failure? I was thinking 8" fishing leaders somehow. I'd hate to mount it only to see its not there after some period of time.
What mount are you using?
What are you attaching it too?
What activity?

My HD Hero came with a suction cup. I've had that on my motorcycle, SUV, and car at nearly 100mph (closed course, professional driver, of course :trust: ) with no troubles.
I've had the same mount on the side of a Bell JetRanger. Again, with no troubles.

I've seen countless MTB guys ride with the handlebar or seat post mounts with zero problems.
I'm sure they do fail, but I think it's largely a non-issue.

Mine busted off on a gravel road somewhere south of Junction.
You just have Red Brown go back and he'll find it. :thumb:
Works every time, so far...

i-ZFqzKGz-M.jpg

Got this book and I recommend it if anyone has zero background in using a GoPro or similar camera. This is for you if you want to use your camera to post videos to YouTube or Vimeo.

If you're that someone who has put out a dozen or so edited videos this book may not seem all that revolutionary, but it's a great intro for the new video maker/GoPro owner.

The one thing I keep telling people is don't select a setting on your GoPro that you get ahead of your computer power. I limit myself to 720/30 because 1080 and above, well, that's just not needed for videos to be viewed on the net. Remember, the newer GoPros have high powered resolutions that are used for major television and cinema work - YOU don't own the type of processing power studios have.

The other thing to remember is that everyone with a GoPro is just a few steps away from going from crap droning on videos to something people might actually want to watch. That's why I recommend this book.

Start with a basic clip editing program and don't go balls to the wall as far as resolution is concerned. Those are my two best pieces of advice.

Was just wondering how after seeing cheez's tire gator hit and someone elses (xoze?) where it came off but was tethered somehow.

I was thinking about a sticky mount on my textured jessie side cases

i-ZFqzKGz-M.jpg

Got this book and I recommend it if anyone has zero background in using a GoPro or similar camera. This is for you if you want to use your camera to post videos to YouTube or Vimeo.

If you're that someone who has put out a dozen or so edited videos this book may not seem all that revolutionary, but it's a great intro for the new video maker/GoPro owner.

The one thing I keep telling people is don't select a setting on your GoPro that you get ahead of your computer power. I limit myself to 720/30 because 1080 and above, well, that's just not needed for videos to be viewed on the net. Remember, the newer GoPros have high powered resolutions that are used for major television and cinema work - YOU don't own the type of processing power studios have.

The other thing to remember is that everyone with a GoPro is just a few steps away from going from crap droning on videos to something people might actually want to watch. That's why I recommend this book.

Start with a basic clip editing program and don't go balls to the wall as far as resolution is concerned. Those are my two best pieces of advice.

Thanks for this Trice!

I just picked it up with some credits i had that were going to expire. Looking forward to reading it.

His teaser video:

[ame="http://youtu.be/jF0z9k93Y9Q"]How to Shoot Video that Doesn't Suck: OFFICIAL Book Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Been playing the past few days with 5 to 15 second clips on the bike from different perspectives. Hoping to combine that with some stills I've been shooting too. No earthly idea how it will turn out, but I'll try.

I just joined the Go Pro Hero 3+ crowd last night. I had played with a 2 a year or so back. Finally got rid of my Sony A57 W/ 18/250 lens set up that I hardly ever use cept for parades and such. Just too much hassle to carry on the bike. Got a brand new 3+ and 200 bucks cash for my Sony set up. 600 is Bout the same as they are going for on ebay.
Corse, I still have a little point and shoot in the boat, an old Minolta in the truck and the G15 in the tank bag and everywhere else. then the last resort Galaxy 3 in my pocket most of the time. ;-)

I've got this over in Trip Reports/Riding Videos too, yet since we have a GoPro thread here thought it appropriate. But here it is if you haven't seen it. My third attempt at using this little bugger. I can see a progression in how the videos are taking shape, and what I need to do additionally to make them better than a previous version.

Assembled from a recent trip to NM last week with SpiritAtBay (Gina). A mix of GoPro Hero3 Black/Nikon D90 and cellphone pics...

[ame="http://vimeo.com/110101928"]2014 New Mexico Trip via Motorcycle on Vimeo[/ame]

Last edited:
OK, I've spent way too much time over at vimeo and youtube on the GoPro channel. I've come to the conclusion the ones that make the Staff Pics generally all involve air shots with a UAV/drone of some type. My rudimentary analysis is the reason these are so 'good' is that it's a perspective we've not become used to seeing. ie: it's different. VERY different. And cool. WAY cool.

I will NOT go buy a quad to hang this thing off of
I will NOT go buy a quad to hang this thing off of.....

OK, I've spent way too much time over at vimeo and youtube on the GoPro channel. I've come to the conclusion the ones that make the Staff Pics generally all involve air shots with a UAV/drone of some type. My rudimentary analysis is the reason these are so 'good' is that it's a perspective we've not become used to seeing. ie: it's different. VERY different. And cool. WAY cool.

I will NOT go buy a quad to hang this thing off of.....
Since you're not buying one, this link won't tempt you :deal:

http://www.dji.com/products

As I understand it, there are far superior quads out there, but the DJI's have a huge following and are very simple to operate.

I still have in my head that I'll scratch-build a quad to fly a DSLR or some kind of real video camera. But with the GoPro not being so fisheyed (I have the original HD) and at 4K you can crop/zoom a lot without having the weight of a lens/camera that can zoom.

Pfft... So last year. Now in are drones with tracking. Just think, flip a switch, toss in the air and ride off.

http://hackaday.com/2014/11/06/3d-printed-drone-follows-the-leader/

Man, all I could think was that was one HUGE mosquito stalking those two operators. :rofl:

Yeah, I've been reading about the UAV's that tag into your iPhone's bluetooth capability and you set the altitude constraints then take off and it follows you with a programmed center/behind, right and left angles as you specify. Cool stuff fo-sure.

All I can think now is blasting down a nice road, getting awesome footage, and then SMACK! Low tree branch, dead drone.

Talking about the gopro and editing, myself and others have mentioned only filming in 720. It's plenty high def enough and the file sizes are manageable. I've played with 1080 and it just bogs any normal machine down quite a bit, and I can't imagine what the 4k30 of the new Hero4 would do to my MacBook.
I saw this on Instagram (posted by Ken Block), and it gives you an idea of what the pros use to edit the highest setting.

fef7438c0575eac91bbff8d07b29c88c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's pretty wild to have all that horsepower to do video. I couldn't begin to even guess how it's used.

I wonder if video is like digital pictures in that if you capture it at 1080, you can always render it at 720 so you get to keep the original large source in the event you get a better/faster processor at some point down the road.

I know I kick myself for shooting a LOT of digital images at 640x480 when dial up was it and HD space was costly. Man, if I only had those same shots in RAW or even high-res .jpgs now. :giveup:

Here's another nagging question I have.....

IF you have a story of some sort you want to tell, is the standard process something like this?

1. Develop story line
2. Create a shot list of "Must Have" or "A" film
3. Create a shot list of "Nice to Have" or "B" film
4. Create a script or dialogue that will accompany the footage and narrative
5. Determine if a music selection will be used and source it
6. Begin the creation process of laying down the "A" stuff while incorporating the music or spoken dialogue
7. Repeat

And that shot list basically is a literal shot by shot sequence of what you have in your head of what you want to portray, present or tell?

Just trying to wrap my head around the amount of work to do a good job and do it right.

If you are talking fiction, then,in general, yes. Even big movies, however, have a lot of wiggle. A screenplay is very heavy on description and shot lists.

Remember that if you're filming a conversation, just film all sides of the scene. This can mean filming different angles at once or doing the scene lots of times.

If you're talking documentary, most of the story is developed in editing. You just shoot everything, from every angle, interview everybody you can, take a billion "set" shots, and then, while you shoot, you begin to get an idea of what exactly the story is, and how to tell it. Then, in editing, you cut everything that isn't what you want. Some documentaries only use 0.5% OR LESS of the film they shoot.

Back