• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Turtling thru New Mexico w/no plan

Tim,
I was looking hard for a place to stop. was desperate to warm up and dry out a little somewhere. anywhere would have done. Just luck that it was a great little place.

Ummm, i don't have a memory of rough pavement descending into Red River...

I use a Frog Toggs rain suit that goes OVER my mesh jacket, and always have ny goose-down jacket liner and ski pants w/bib (Cheap from Lands End). In driving rain at 40*, I was fine. (Of course, I DO have that Windjammer.) Boots are Justin and waterproof.

Red River is one of our favorite places. Tim, I don't remember any rough pavement. Keep the report coming, folks.

White wine with steak? Silly girl...

;-)

I remember Carizozo from my trip back in '71. It was windy then, too.

We continue with the next-to-the-last day.

Day 7: 19oct sun
We were at the park shortly after it opened at 9. Hey, we are starting to get this “get up and get moving thing” down pat!
DSC_3305-90-L.jpg

DSC_3306-91-L.jpg

DSC_3310-94-L.jpg

A long day ahead as we “plan” to camp at Guadalupe Mountains Natl Park in Texas tonight. But first, we enjoy a scenic ride down to Ruidoso and then discover the delight that Hwy 244 is as it winds thru the Mescalero Apache Indian Reservation. (Huh, does that sound familiar? Hey, we did plan on riding this highway, see day 2 notes--and now, days later, we are! How about that?)

Hwy 244 just begs to be ridden properly (i.e. not at 45 blessed mph.) So I scooted ahead and partook of its pleasures.

PS: Earlier in the trip, Scott had seen an elk that had been shot and it took up the whole bed of a small pickup. Now I glimpsed one who had met the same fate in Ruidoso. The size of the animal was astounding. The antlers reached across the width of the truck. How do you get such a large, heavy animal into the truck? Even if the thing was standing next to your truck when you shot it…?? I can see if you field dressed it and packed out the meat, but i'm pretty sure this was the "whole hog" (so to speak.)

The plan to camp at Guad Mtns NP is scrapped when the logistics of it smack us in the face. It is kind of remote, with no water, or convenience stores nearby. The plug was yanked for sure when I read that fires were not allowed. (Cook stoves are ok.)

New destination: Balmorhea State Park. This park proved ideal. Although we had to push it to get there in time to set up camp before dark. It worked out wonderfully. I definitely want to return there and spend a few days exploring the area and the Davis Mtns.

Scott here..... Gina resting in Artesia, NM. Gina here...resting, and stuffing my face!
IMG_5775-2-L.jpg

A concrete water flume built in the early 1900's in Carlsbad (photo credit: Gina!)
WP_002253-2-7-L.jpg

Crossing back into Texas
DSC_3327-103-L.jpg

And securing a bit of grub for the night at Balmorea (note firewood strapped onto the Beamer)
DSC_3328-104-L.jpg

The sky that night was captivating so I pulled my bed out of the tent, snuggled into the bag and just enjoyed the stars, listening to the coyotes and the burbling aqueduct that was nearby. Meanwhile, Scott shot some night pics.
DSC_3345-109-L.jpg

Alas, the real world was tapping it’s foot and pointing at it’s watch. Come morning, we would have to slab it back to reality.

Hard data: Day 7, Capitan to Balmorhea SP: 337 mi. accomos: Balmorhea SP

To be continued....
:rider:

Last edited by a moderator:
Enjoyed the write up and great pics! Never been, guess I need to go sometime!!

nice writeup and pics. brought back some nice memories of a NM/CO trip.
I've ridden with tall kitchen bags over socks and inside boots/pants before as a desperate waterproof workaround.

Day 8: 20oct mon
Come morning, we had to pack up and slab it back to reality.

According to radar, we were about to get rained on. But the rain held off.

Scott heated water for tea and we ate the last of our energy bars for breakfast.

Sunrise over the mountains…
DSC_3361-112-L.jpg

WP_002258-2-8-L.jpg

Just about ready…
DSC_3384-118-L.jpg

On the way out, we stopped at the springs. We had the place to ourselves.

The springs…
DSC_3388-120-L.jpg

DSC_3395-124-L.jpg

DSC_3406-131-L.jpg

Scott dipped his GoPro in the water and got some video of a soft shell turtle and fish.

We filled our tanks and our bellies in Ozona.
DSC_3408-132-L.jpg

We arrived Kerrville late Monday afternoon. I got busy unpacking and cleaning the bike. RTB5 is next weekend!

DSC_3412-136-L.jpg

The trip was an unmitigated success. We lucked out with the weather and fall colors. We did just what we intended, which was to take advantage of the sudden offer of a week off from work, have a relaxing, enjoyable time, ride some excellent roads and see a part of the country which is unique and beautiful.

Thanks Scott, for being the perfect travel companion! Thoroughly enjoyed our time together.

You cleaned your VStrom? You can do that?????

Sounds like a great trip. I've heard about Balmorea for years, and used to occasionally pass through there in my Army days, hopping between El Paso and San Antonio. But alas, I never stopped to check out the springs. Maybe you've given me the incentive.

Thanks Scott, for being the perfect travel companion! Thoroughly enjoyed our time together.

You're welcome!

Indeed, this was a fun week and I'm glad to have been a part of it. You did most of the work in all the planning and logistics, and you should be proud of your accomplishments. You spent a week on the scooter with little more than imagination, a tent and credit card. You're ready for anything your imagination allows you. :rider:

I hear Labrador NF is a nice ride.... :ponder:

Labrador/Newfoundland is an AMAZING ride...but if you go all the way there and don't spend time in Nova Scotia (Cape Breton especially)...and the Gaspe Peninsula...you are cheating yourself :)

Labrador/Newfoundland is an AMAZING ride...but if you go all the way there and don't spend time in Nova Scotia (Cape Breton especially)...and the Gaspe Peninsula...you are cheating yourself :)

So noted! ;-)

Glad you were able to ride the Enchanted Circle,one of my favorite roads in the world. Plenty of nice spots to pull over and take pictures along it. Nice to see these great ride reports for those stuck at work.

Part of my vast family (6 brothers and 3 sisters) live on the enchanted circle. We all lived in Carlsbad as children and we rode our bikes across the 2' wide outer wall of the flume. It seemed a lot taller then. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Great report!
Enjoyed the writing and pictures.

I just read your ride report. Congratulations to both of you on making the big decision - that is riding to New Mexico. I wish you many years of happiness.

icon_beerchug.gif

RB

DSC_3302-88-L.jpg

From the pic above, I just wish I could get Gina to return that Mile 33 sign she has in her hand :rofl:

Right now, some OCD person is stuck between Mileposts 32 & 34, and is going absolutely freaking nuts! :rofl:

Did you get anything from the vendors at the bridge? My avatar pic is from the rest stop scenic overlook area right there to the left.

Drew,
No, didn't buy anything. Talked fossils with one guy who had a beautiful "opalized" ammonite.

I would have never realized that pic was taken from there. How cool!

Drew,
No, didn't buy anything. Talked fossils with one guy who had a beautiful "opalized" ammonite.

I would have never realized that pic was taken from there. How cool!

There are some good views from up there. It is on the opposite side of where most of the vendors are. Nice place to take a few pictures and veg for a few minutes.

Back