• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Veteran Rider in Magnolia

Desmo

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Tanner
It is real slow at work so here goes. I purchased my first motorcycle at age 12. Slowly progressed up in size and moved from dirt to street. Now hooked on sport-touring on a red Ducati . Below is the bikes I have owned (and can remember) over the years, in chronological order:

Suzuki 90
Suzuki 75 (purchased new)
Suzuki 125
Suzuki 100 (drove everyday to high school)
Yamaha 400 (enduro)
Honda CB550 (four)
Kawasaki KZ1000
Kawasaki GPz550 (purchased new)
Maico 250 (motocross)
Honda 1000 (Hurricane)
Kawasaki KX250 (motocross)
Honda CBR900RR (purchased new, sold with over 20k miles)
Suzuki DR350L (purchased new)
Ducati ST4 (current)

The only real wreck I have had was on the GPz550 in 1984. It was a tank-slapper and I spent a week in the Huntsville (TX) hospital. I was smart enough to wear a full face helmet but got plenty of road rash everywhere else. Because I was not wearing gloves, all the skin from my hands (palm and fingers) was in a wad in the center of my palms. Talk about painful when the ER doctors cut that off! You may hear me preach about wearing protective clothing, please listen. Also, if your bike’s steering is not stable (handlebars wiggle when you remove your hands) get a steering damper before you find out about tank-slappers. I did not have the money for a $200 damper but found the money for a $30k hospital bill. Two lessons learned.

This accident gave me a great respect for the sport. I now rarely ride without protection and never exceed “The Pace”. I have ridden with Scott and a few guys from the TWT board, plus attended a few Thursday night meets at Kings Café. I am a weekday cager but ride most Sunday mornings (while my wife goes to church to pray for me!) so anyone in the Magnolia area drop me an e-mail and we can meet somewhere.

Steve

Back