• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Event changes starting in 2010

You sure Bob?
You looked kinda Hot and Disgusted in some of the pictures! :lol2:

Wish I could have been there!

Hot and disgusted? I should have looked DEAD the last part of the Dia de los Muertos rides on Friday!!! lol! The Dual Sport God handed my my butt and gave me a certificate to boot!! lol :eek2: :rofl:

PS If Richard doesn't name that ride Dia de los Muertos - Day of the Dead, then my nickname for it will always be Dia de el Muerto - Dey of the Dead (me)! Lol!

Richard,
You mention going to AR over Memorial Day weekend in your post above. Yet the MexTrek registration and itinerary on your website says that it will happen the weekend before Memorial Day. Likely the latest dates and destinations for 2010 are to be found here somewhere, but would you mind providing the info one more time?
Thanks much,
Richard, too

Richard,

I'm planning on Arkansas on Labor Day weekend. My apologies if I said Memorial Day. I meant Labor Day (if I haven't gotten these 2 holidays mixed up).

Here's the 2010 schedule:

Around the Bend: Feb 25-28
MexTrek: May 27-30
Arkansas: Sep 2010

Richard,

Just a thought. Why dont you schedule your New Mexico ride using the CDT. I am sure you can come up with an interesting route. Of course it means camping but it will be the real deal. One of my buddies rode the CDT and the TAT this summer/fall and he said he really enjoyed the NMex portion of the CDT. Even moreso than the Colorado portion. The NMex route was rougher and to him more scenic. Carry on.

tx246,

Great minds think alike. I was just discussing the same idea today with my buddy Jammin' Jerry. I like the idea and would just need to figure out all the logistics.

I the NM CDR is a great ride as chronicled in our ride report. It is one of the best multi-day ds rides I've done. You don't have to camp; we moteled it.

Richard:

Had you considered the (NM) National forest up by Sipapu and Tres Ritos? Carson National Forest....I think.

Richard,

I see that you have the Junction TAR posted for April 8-11, 2010, but the registration form is that of 2009. I also thought Junction was off for this year. Not sure what is going on, please advise.

Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas

All of you enthusiasts egging Richard into the tour business should sit down with a cup of coffee and talk to Skip Moscorro of Motodiscovery. It looks all romantic from the outside looking in. There is much more than meets the eye.....the administration end of it is huge. Skip's wife Nancy holds up that end of the business model like a rock star, but she works her rear end off.

Skip is the pioneer, he's been going to Mexico since the early 80s and now, around the world. But he himself will tell you how much work he puts into it. The crux of the issue is, do you want to balance organizing these rides and riding them too, or cross the Rubicon into the full time tour business, where you'll find youself tied to the computer, phone, website, and file cabinet to make the business function and make a profit. Then, to go into the field, you'd have to have your wife or a hired gun run the phones while you go out into the field to have your own riding fix.

I'm not saying it can't be done, or that you can't do it and have fun and/or make money. I am saying that anyone thinking about following this path should take stock of the dues paid by those who currently make their living in this field.

Richard,

I see that you have the Junction TAR posted for April 8-11, 2010, but the registration form is that of 2009. I also thought Junction was off for this year. Not sure what is going on, please advise.

Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas

Russ,

There isn't going to be a TAR in 2010. My three rallies for 2010 are Big Bend in Feb, Mexico in May, and Arkansas in Sep.

I thought I had deleted all TAR pages off my web site, but I must have overlooked one (or you have the old page cached). Can you post a link to the page so I can delete it? Thanks.

Russ,

There isn't going to be a TAR in 2010. My three rallies for 2010 are Big Bend in Feb, Mexico in May, and Arkansas in Sep.

OK, that was my understanding but a friend and past rider sent me the link. Shows the April dates but nothing more. Here's the link:

http://www.texasadventure.net/TAR/TARHome.htm

Thanks Richard, good luck with the rides. I wanted to do MexTrek but had already scheduled a ride to AZ to meet up with old friends.

Russ

Are you going to start a thread on mextrex 2010? I would like to start chatting up anyone who wants to go down early. To me, it's too far to drive for 3 days. I work for myself (and I'm a very good boss). I have either time or money but not both. So time in Mexico is precious and I want to take advantage by going down Sunday or Monday. Anyone else? This time, for variety, i plan on trucking to mcallen and riding. jeff and I had too many hassles with the whole truck thing, so it's not my turn to take a truck. I hope somebody else does, we really used the trucks well to get Don and his bike back.

db

Dave,

Yes, I'll be posting a MexTrek 2010 thread shorty. I was waiting till most of the Around the Bend rally stuff was done.

Last edited:
I thought you would. Forgive me for my impatience but these trips are the high points of my year. As a lot of people look forward to their birthday, Christmas, and New Years, I look forward to riding down a potholed, washed out, rock strewn river crossing whilst dodging a burro and some dogs, the heady odor of burning trash (the national scent of Mexico) wafting through the otherwise pristine air. I will wait patiently in the background........

I may be the only one, but I am sorry to hear that Mexico may only happen every two years. I mean, at age 61 I've got a few years left and want to take advantage of every opportunity to ride Mexico, which is my favorite. I guess I'll have to get together with one or two people and go on my own...

Dave-

You're welcome to ride with me and the gang from Oak Cliff (pun intended) when we head towards Mexee-ko...

Give me a holler.

Richard-

You can most likely count me in for Galeana this year. Thanks for all the work you do for the DS Community in Texas.

Back