TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc.

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 10-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #21
Aanarchy

Re: Event changes starting in 2010

I scoured the ride report from Mex Trek 2008 and would have loved to go in 2009. I've travelled extensively in Mexico and always loved the country and the people. My only riding in Mexico was in the Baja 2000 and reading about your event brought back the memories of some great riding. But my second biggest deadline of the year is October 15. I had hoped the 2010 ride would be after that date - but not in 2011!.

Any US destination is likely to be crowded on holiday weekends. That's the great thing about Mexico - July 4th, Mem Day and Labor Day mean nothing. And at the higher elevations you escape the Texas heat.

One man's vote - 4th of July or Labor Day in Mexico.

Oh, yeah...1999 Gas Gas TX270

Maybe it was Utah. - H.I. McDunnough
Aanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:51 AM   #22
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Toltec,

I will be making additional changes to the 2010 calendar. Enough riders have made the point that lodging on holiday weekends can be very challenging for a large group, so I'm going to re-work the schedule.

I am planning on hosting MexTrek again in 2010. I just need to decide on a date (as of now, I'm considering if moving it to late spring might be a good time to have it).

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net
Trail Boss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #23
tricepilot

Let's just all move to Mexico and Mextrek 24/7/365
Old 10-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #24
bigdon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Let's just all move to Mexico and Mextrek 24/7/365
You sure Bob?
You looked kinda Hot and Disgusted in some of the pictures!

Wish I could have been there!
bigdon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #25
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I am glad to hear that there will be a 2010 MexTrek. At the rate I am going, I need every possible opportunity to make that event Perhaps a different time of year might break my string of bad luck for making it in Oct. What about some time in May?

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #26
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon55 View Post
You sure Bob?
You looked kinda Hot and Disgusted in some of the pictures!

Wish I could have been there!

Hot and disgusted? I should have looked DEAD the last part of the Dia de los Muertos rides on Friday!!! lol! The Dual Sport God handed my my butt and gave me a certificate to boot!! lol

PS If Richard doesn't name that ride Dia de los Muertos - Day of the Dead, then my nickname for it will always be Dia de el Muerto - Dey of the Dead (me)! Lol!
Old 12-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #27
yelnif

Richard,
You mention going to AR over Memorial Day weekend in your post above. Yet the MexTrek registration and itinerary on your website says that it will happen the weekend before Memorial Day. Likely the latest dates and destinations for 2010 are to be found here somewhere, but would you mind providing the info one more time?
Thanks much,
Richard, too
yelnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #28
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Richard,

I'm planning on Arkansas on Labor Day weekend. My apologies if I said Memorial Day. I meant Labor Day (if I haven't gotten these 2 holidays mixed up).

Here's the 2010 schedule:

Around the Bend: Feb 25-28
MexTrek: May 27-30
Arkansas: Sep 2010

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

www.texasadventure.net
Old 12-23-2009, 05:20 PM   #29
tx246

Richard,

Just a thought. Why dont you schedule your New Mexico ride using the CDT. I am sure you can come up with an interesting route. Of course it means camping but it will be the real deal. One of my buddies rode the CDT and the TAT this summer/fall and he said he really enjoyed the NMex portion of the CDT. Even moreso than the Colorado portion. The NMex route was rougher and to him more scenic. Carry on.
tx246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:03 PM   #30
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

tx246,

Great minds think alike. I was just discussing the same idea today with my buddy Jammin' Jerry. I like the idea and would just need to figure out all the logistics.

www.texasadventure.net
Old 12-24-2009, 06:09 AM   #31
mcrider

I the NM CDR is a great ride as chronicled in our ride report. It is one of the best multi-day ds rides I've done. You don't have to camp; we moteled it.
mcrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #32
Zugg Zugg

Richard:

Had you considered the (NM) National forest up by Sipapu and Tres Ritos? Carson National Forest....I think.
Zugg Zugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #33
McRuss

Richard,

I see that you have the Junction TAR posted for April 8-11, 2010, but the registration form is that of 2009. I also thought Junction was off for this year. Not sure what is going on, please advise.

Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas

"A gun is like a parachute: if you need one and don't have one, you may never need it again."
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #34
tricepilot

All of you enthusiasts egging Richard into the tour business should sit down with a cup of coffee and talk to Skip Moscorro of Motodiscovery. It looks all romantic from the outside looking in. There is much more than meets the eye.....the administration end of it is huge. Skip's wife Nancy holds up that end of the business model like a rock star, but she works her rear end off.

Skip is the pioneer, he's been going to Mexico since the early 80s and now, around the world. But he himself will tell you how much work he puts into it. The crux of the issue is, do you want to balance organizing these rides and riding them too, or cross the Rubicon into the full time tour business, where you'll find youself tied to the computer, phone, website, and file cabinet to make the business function and make a profit. Then, to go into the field, you'd have to have your wife or a hired gun run the phones while you go out into the field to have your own riding fix.

I'm not saying it can't be done, or that you can't do it and have fun and/or make money. I am saying that anyone thinking about following this path should take stock of the dues paid by those who currently make their living in this field.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #35
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss View Post
Richard,

I see that you have the Junction TAR posted for April 8-11, 2010, but the registration form is that of 2009. I also thought Junction was off for this year. Not sure what is going on, please advise.

Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
Russ,

There isn't going to be a TAR in 2010. My three rallies for 2010 are Big Bend in Feb, Mexico in May, and Arkansas in Sep.

I thought I had deleted all TAR pages off my web site, but I must have overlooked one (or you have the old page cached). Can you post a link to the page so I can delete it? Thanks.

www.texasadventure.net
Old 01-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #36
McRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
Russ,

There isn't going to be a TAR in 2010. My three rallies for 2010 are Big Bend in Feb, Mexico in May, and Arkansas in Sep.
OK, that was my understanding but a friend and past rider sent me the link. Shows the April dates but nothing more. Here's the link:

http://www.texasadventure.net/TAR/TARHome.htm

Thanks Richard, good luck with the rides. I wanted to do MexTrek but had already scheduled a ride to AZ to meet up with old friends.

Russ

"A gun is like a parachute: if you need one and don't have one, you may never need it again."
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:50 AM   #37
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Russ,

Thanks for the link. I'll get that page fixed.

www.texasadventure.net
Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #38
Dave Bell

Are you going to start a thread on mextrex 2010? I would like to start chatting up anyone who wants to go down early. To me, it's too far to drive for 3 days. I work for myself (and I'm a very good boss). I have either time or money but not both. So time in Mexico is precious and I want to take advantage by going down Sunday or Monday. Anyone else? This time, for variety, i plan on trucking to mcallen and riding. jeff and I had too many hassles with the whole truck thing, so it's not my turn to take a truck. I hope somebody else does, we really used the trucks well to get Don and his bike back.

db

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...513844260&ap=1

Iron Butt Member #22319

Gen I KLR with DMC Enduro Sidecar
Honda ST1300
Dave Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:05 AM   #39
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Dave,

Yes, I'll be posting a MexTrek 2010 thread shorty. I was waiting till most of the Around the Bend rally stuff was done.

www.texasadventure.net

Last edited by Trail Boss; 01-28-2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #40
Dave Bell

Red face Re: Event changes starting in 2010

I thought you would. Forgive me for my impatience but these trips are the high points of my year. As a lot of people look forward to their birthday, Christmas, and New Years, I look forward to riding down a potholed, washed out, rock strewn river crossing whilst dodging a burro and some dogs, the heady odor of burning trash (the national scent of Mexico) wafting through the otherwise pristine air. I will wait patiently in the background........

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...513844260&ap=1

Iron Butt Member #22319

Gen I KLR with DMC Enduro Sidecar
Honda ST1300
Dave Bell is offline   Reply With Quote