• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Finally back on a metric.

Marc B

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Briggs
A year and a half back I bought a sportster 883 standard, I had a sporty in the 70s and it brought back some memories but as time went by I realized it just wasn't the same anymore, sportsters are heavy little bikes these days, I even did the 1200 conversion and kicked the HP up to a whopping 58 :yawn: I also never rode it more than 20 miles from home because I didn't trust it, oil always seemed to find a way out either thru the carb, rocker covers or cam cover, I know some folks can ride an HD across the nation without issue, my hats off to them, anyway I had everything buttoned and right as can be before posting it for sale, running like a top but not a single bite anywhere, fact is there are a gazillion sportsters for sale out there and short of giving it away I felt stuck with it for a while, being on a tight budget (if I can't pay cash, I can't afford it) I ended up taking a little bit of a beating and traded in at the dealer for a new to me 05 FZ1 with 25k on it, new tires, chain and sprockets, when I test rode it I almost threw myself over the bars with the great brakes, I've been riding with wooden brakes and forgot how good they can be, I had an 07 1250s Bandit and wished I could have it back (and my Wee Strom) the two best bikes I've owned, my Son had an 01 FZ1 and I enjoyed riding it back in the day so I knew I would like one, I need to make a few adjustments to her and looking forward to riding more then walkie talkie range from the house now.;-)
87fc6247-95b0-416a-9542-b9de6b4852a5_zpscffa4b6b.jpg

That fizzy might not dust many trails with you but we will look forward to seeing you on the highways and byways.

Sweet ride. What does that perforated bar running from the rear brake to up behind the exhaust do?

:rider:

I've ridden all of the Fazers products a bit but the first generation FZ1 like yours is my favorite. Tons of aftermarket goodies to make it long-distance friendly.

RB

The brake bar is a support for the caliper or a "stay", it allows the caliper to be swung down to replace the pads I think and thanks guys, I'm excited to have it.

The brake bar is a support for the caliper or a "stay", it allows the caliper to be swung down to replace the pads I think and thanks guys, I'm excited to have it.

Nice Fz1, as for your stay,

It is called a stay because without it the caliper would rotate around the wheel locked to the disc until it got to the end of the brake hose when you applied the rear brake.

The caliper is free floating on the rear axle and needs a stay or link to keep it in place

I'm pretty sure my next addition will be a FZ1.

Any thoughts on this vs the Bandit?

I'm pretty sure my next addition will be a FZ1.

Any thoughts on this vs the Bandit?
From my personal experience : The Bandit 1250S (100hp)had a slightly more forward and lower footpeg location, fuel injected 6 speed, tons of low end torque, wheelbase feels shorter and the bandit loves to wheelie without trying, power seems to fade as rpms rise demanding more shifts.
FZ1(1st gen) has a claimed 140hp and you can feel it, it's carbed and needs time to warm up, wheel base feels longer or the seat is positioned a little further back, both bikes put off extreme heat to the shins, FZ1 can be had for less $$
Note: the comparison test above is the newer FZ1 (not the same animal)

If your not doing anything Sunday come join us. How is it on the highway vibration wise?

Thanks for the invite, I'm waiting on some parts that should be here this coming weekend and then I need to get to know her for a month or so before I venture too far away just yet, as for vibration on the highway there is a slight buzz in the grips, nothing compared to what I just got rid of.

Back