• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rain fall and flooding

Aspear

Reaction score
First Name
Samuel
Last Name
Hastings
Hope everybody is safe and dry. Us Texans are getting hammered all across the our great state. Even here in stockdale my creek rose two feet.

Prayers are out to those in the hard hit areas.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have a rear entry garage and a downslope to my property from the yards behind me. Despite a well laid French drain, I've had water in my garage a few times &, during that 6 inch rainfall 3 weeks ago, was 1/4" from water getting from the garage into my house. This weekend I dug a hasty trench along the side of the house to lead water away from the garage area; no problems since. My buddy Brian (Bluehammer67) will be doing some more permanent fixes next week or so.

Others haven't been so lucky. SW Arlington has been flooding in areas that have never in my memory had issues.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj4kYYdFBvc"]Bridge over Llano River collapses during massive flooding - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c-pimiUNE0"]Incredible video of Llano River flooding under Inks Bridge - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I wonder if the Inks bridge is open? I'd sure have 2nd thoughts going across it.

I sure hope its closed off. Saw videos yesterday of people nbn filming while driving across bridges that had water flowing up to the top.

I wonder if the Inks bridge is open? I'd sure have 2nd thoughts going across it.

I doubt it will be if the other taller bridges have water cresting on them. I saw foolish people down in the lower hill country kayaking. Hopefully they have no regrets about doing that. Never know when a tree or house is going to come downstream and take you out in flood waters.

At about the 2:00 mark, you can see LEO's blocking the street where you enter the bridge. So I suspect it is closed.

Given how dirty the water is, I wonder how many millions of cubic yards of dirt/soil are being carried down stream... by just this ONE river!? Now think about all the other rivers, creeks, and run offs that are carrying away loose soil... If you could get a clear satellite view of the Gulf Coast right now, I bet you could see all that dirt spreading out from the mouths of the rivers and bayous.

At about the 2:00 mark, you can see LEO's blocking the street where you enter the bridge. So I suspect it is closed.

Given how dirty the water is, I wonder how many millions of cubic yards of dirt/soil are being carried down stream... by just this ONE river!? Now think about all the other rivers, creeks, and run offs that are carrying away loose soil... If you could get a clear satellite view of the Gulf Coast right now, I bet you could see all that dirt spreading out from the mouths of the rivers and bayous.
Paging bigman, Go take a look at the water!

Looks very bad, any idea which dam this is.

Attachments

• 44240903_10156029911908693_4896094715499249664_o.jpg
    44240903_10156029911908693_4896094715499249664_o.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 149
Looks very bad, any idea which dam this is.

Pretty sure that is the Max Starcke dam on the Colorado just east if US281 at Marble Falls. May look worse than it really is, I have read they have all 10 spillway gates wide open.

Still very hard on the dam itself as far as erosion is concerned.

We'll be going to Austin via 281 on Friday. Anyone know of any issues we'll have

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

that is lake LBJ flood gates i go to horse shoe bay every summer that is the marina by the boat ramp i use pretty sure kinda maybe

Last edited:
We'll be going to Austin via 281 on Friday. Anyone know of any issues we'll have

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Check the map at www.drivetxas.org for road closures and problems. Why 281 looks good now, but we are forecasted to get quite a bit more rain down here on Thursday. Having made the Dallas-hill country run quite a lot over the last 5 years my experience is that 281 does not flood easily and is the best choice if you have to travel.

I saw foolish people down in the lower hill country kayaking.

If you live in Texas and you want to white water kayak, you go during flood stage. :eek2:
But you better know what you are doing. :zen:

Check the map at www.drivetxas.org for road closures and problems. Why 281 looks good now, but we are forecasted to get quite a bit more rain down here on Thursday. Having made the Dallas-hill country run quite a lot over the last 5 years my experience is that 281 does not flood easily and is the best choice if you have to travel.

Thanks for the heads up and link.

281 was in good shape yesterday. Drove it from Johnson City to Hico with no issues. All the rivers and creeks were overflowing their banks, but nothing across the road yet.

Saw lots of high water one road closed today and about 20 vehicles that Hydroplaned off the roads and crashed.

This was leaving New Braunfels at 7am, heading to Midland to see a customer then on to FtWorth to the motel

Went floresville-gonzales-leander(130-45-183)-floresville. Fm1116 had 1ft of water over the road(it was "closed"). The rest was normal. Had to do some work in a newly build drainage channel that the engineer who hired us just couldn't wait any longer for.
05a8775514efe7c4beafb36b84874e49.jpg

Back