• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 MexTrek Galeana #5, Oct 19th - 23rd 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't check TWT for years and what a surprise to find this threat, wow!
I was there in 2008, rode my 1150gs, the first day I did the Gold standard, a group of 6 left around 8am or so and didn't make it back to galeana till 11:30pm that night, the most challenging part was crossing the Sierra Mesa de Oso, well that was bc my bike was to heavy, suitable for a 650. Truly remarkable ride, a good part of the trip is in the middle of nowhere literally! there is nothing for miles!
The second day up to the Potosi 13000ft + over the sea level "Top of the World" indeed!
I have travel to Mexico most of my adult life and love it. Last year I did Cabo San Lucas, in Nov. 4000 miles loop I was able to watch baja 1000 at different stages.
I Know this North Mx. area pretty well, and rode all over solo most of the time, but not any more, situation have become intangible in every way.
In any case, I wasn't aware that these bunch of nuts were venturing to Nuevo Leon and specially to Tamaulipas which are the nest of the worst narco crime going on in Mexico!
So with that said, I'm joining in, Let me try to get the ball rolling here to see if I can make it, glad I checked!

I Know this North Mx. area pretty well, and rode all over solo most of the time, but not any more, situation have become intangible in every way.
In any case, I wasn't aware that these bunch of nuts were venturing to Nuevo Leon and specially to Tamaulipas which are the nest of the worst narco crime going on in Mexico!

Well that is comforting!

I always get asked if im crazy going to Mexico, I always replied; when is time to go it does it matter what you're doing, taking a crap or sleeping, when is time is time.
When I was coming back from Cabo last year, I crossed the border at Tecate around midnight, the US border agent at port of entry said; are you ****ing crazy? you could get kill down there man? Apparently he does read the news, here we just no sensationalized so much.
I wanted to get back to Galeana, just did want to make the trip alone specially in this area, that's all.

I've not done a trip before that was mostly off of pavement. Would you veterans recommend a full face street helmet, or a dirt bike helmet with a pair of goggles?

It will be dusty. Some wear goggles. I use a dual sport helmet and back off when I'm not leading. No reason to ride in the dust.

Yeah, I've got a Shoei Hornet DS that I really enjoy. Has a fold down visor so you can wear regular glasses or sunglasses with it. Check it out!

Gang I hate to say this but I am going to have to back out of the ride, appears I am going to enjoy some back surgery instead. Think its time to a couple lower discs fused together.

No need to refund the paypal keep it and send me the ride guide. Hopefully I can make it next year.

My brain is foggy now, I forget the name of the guy that booked my room in Mexico for me, but can you go ahead and cancel my room please.

Hope everyone has a safe and fun trip, look forward to some ride reports.

Gang I hate to say this but I am going to have to back out of the ride, appears I am going to enjoy some back surgery instead. Think its time to a couple lower discs fused together.

No need to refund the paypal keep it and send me the ride guide. Hopefully I can make it next year.

My brain is foggy now, I forget the name of the guy that booked my room in Mexico for me, but can you go ahead and cancel my room please.

Dangit, gonna miss you Mike.

Well, shoot. We will all miss you Mike. Praying for skillful surgeon and speedy healing.

SAY IT AINT SO

I WOULD BE GLAD TO TAKE YOUR AT DOWN THERE SO IT DOESN'T MISS OUT

I forget the name of the guy that booked my room in Mexico for me, but can you go ahead and cancel my room please.

That was me, Mike. I'll cancel your room.

Hate to hear you're not going. I was looking forward to meeting the legend. Godspeed on your recovery.

Earlier in this thread I asked that I be put in as "interested" but it seems that
never "took" ... I never showed up in the list. No worries though, I can't
make it as I am leaving Wednesday for the Philippines to guide a few offroad
trips there. I guess that is better than bailing on Mextrek due to problems
at the office! :rider:

In light of this, myself and the wife went to Galeana on our own for four days
and just returned. Had a great time. Can't wait to go back!

Some notes that may be of interest to folks going there:

We carried the bike on the truck (hitch hauler) and am glad we did. That
ride from the border would not be much fun on a dirtbike. Having the truck
was great as we were able to carry everything we needed and still travel
comfortably. Hotel Magdalena has parking in the back so it worked out
well. Another nice thing is we brought a gas can and filled it at the Pemex
on the way into town. That allowed us to fill the bikes at the hotel and not
worry about riding through town to the gas station. The parking at the
hotel is small though, so if a ton of guys decide to show up in trucks it ain't
gonna work :trust:

Border was pretty drama free. Importation permit for the truck and the two
"towed vehicles" (actually in/on the truck) was easy and done entirely
online. They checked the permit at the border, and confirmed the serial
numbers of the vehicles matched it. Then inside the building for the tourist
permit and we were on our way. There was no 20km checkpoint, and the
only time our papers were ever looked at again was when a police pulled us
over after China. He asked for the papers see if the bike was on it. I think
he was just more interested in checking out the bike stuck on the back of a
truck than anything else. Quick and friendly encounter and back on our way.

It rained on and off during the stretch from Linares to Galeana as we
ascended into the mountains. Our entire stay in Galeana was on and off
rain, with some gorgeous "severe clear" periods. We took advantage of one
of the clear times to buzz up the hill to the golf ball atop Cerro de Potosi.
There was zero dust during our stay due to the wet weather. Trail
conditions were perfect, with very little mud.

Trip back was uneventful. Two checkpoints on 40 between China
and Reynosa, one military and the other police. We were waved through
them both. We cancelled the vehicle permit at the border, the girl in the
booth takes pictures of the vehicles and serial numbers to prove the vehicles
that left are actually the correct ones. She gives a receipt and that is that.

First time going to Galeana, but have been through Monterrey before about
7 years ago.

I have been to Baja many times, and it used to be rather "loose" as far as
border control but they are tightening it down and it is almost the same as
access on the mainland side now.

A few pictures to maybe get you excited about the trip:

20161003_144146.jpg

20161003_103041.jpg

20161003_143915.jpg

20161003_130459.jpg

For those who are interested in the legal minutia of things, a friendly reminder that transport of motorcycles in, on or behind a four wheeled vehicle renders those motorcycles as recreational vehicles under Mexican law.

What this means is that under Mexican law, those motorcycles may be ridden off road only, and by off road, dirt roads do not qualify.

The end result for those following statistical odds may mean little risk, but however small it may be, know the following:

(1) Insurance claims can be denied if it is discovered that the vehicle was not registered as a the primary on the TVIP. Which as a carried or towed vehicle it will not. In other words, if you press to test on your Mexico motorcycle insurance, know the hand you're playing if you make the call.

(2) Legal consequence increases even though the risk of legal involvement may remain statistically close to nil. In other words, you probably might not hit anybody, but if you do and get caught, know the hand you chose to play and play accordingly.

(3) Checkpoint Charlie: will your TVIP be inspected and will you be discovered to be technically operating a motorcycle outside the law? Again, the chances may be very low. Again, if you're caught, the advice is to remember you are in a disadvantageous position so you won't be able to play the haughty high road with the cop.

Having said all of this, I rode an unregistered dirt bike off road from Durango to Mazatlan and back again. But I knew the risk outright and chose to take it.

It's those who have no idea of the risk they're taking that I'm addressing this to, however small in reality that risk may be. If you choose to truck your bike to Galeana and then ride it on a road dirt or not, you are taking some measure of risk. How wide that risk aperture is to you and whether you choose to take it is up to you.

For those who are interested in the legal minutia of things, a friendly reminder
are taking some measure of risk. How wide that risk aperture is to you and whether you choose to take it is up to you.

Good follow-up to my post. Unfortunately I neglected to mention the legal
aspects of carrying the bike to Galeana, which you articulated quite well. I
agree with you on the points that you make. It is good data to know for
those that may be considering trucking versus riding.

I also want to clarify that we did not just go blind or "wing it" ... I have
ridden in many foreign countries and extensively in Baja. My experience with
mainland Mexico is quite a bit less and even though many will tell you that
Baja is a different world than mainland it is in fact quite similar in many ways
related to what we do.

So, we understand the risk of trucking bikes to Galeana. The risk was assessed
to be "statistically close to nil" as you stated. Granted, that is not the same
as zero risk, but close enough that we accept it and proceed. Also, as
responsible riders we take steps to further minimize that risk by riding in a
sane and respectful manner when on paved roads or in populated areas. We
rode by many cops in Galeana and the surrounding area and what we got
from them was smiles and waves as we passed by. I expected nothing else,
because of how we conduct ourselves.

Because it has been used as a base for dual sport and offroad riding for some
time now I believe the situation in Galeana to be somewhat similar to Baja in
that they know why we are there, and unless we do stupid acts such as ride
wheelies through the town square or spray roost and dust all over kids
walking to school they are just not going to mess with us. They have better
things to do than check our papers without cause.

If you give them cause, well that is a different story. You can be the judge
on how likely that is to happen based on how you normally act, and of course
nobody can predict if an accident will happen. But riding at 10 mph through
town to get to the dirt trails leading to the middle of nowhere I consider the
chances of that to be quite low also.

I guess the point of all this is if you are the straight-arrow type that is
uncomfortable with any legal risk the best advice is ride the bike from the
border to Galeana.

It will be dusty. Some wear goggles. I use a dual sport helmet and back off when I'm not leading. No reason to ride in the dust.
same here, and a dual sport, u can eat n drink n show ur face to that mexican federal agent who relates better than talkin to ur eyes n a muffled voice

Peter, did you happen to send me the maps? I know i told you i already had the guidebook, but i don't have maps..

The parking at the hotel is small though, so if a ton of guys decide to show up in trucks it ain't gonna work :trust:

There was no 20km checkpoint...Trip back was uneventful. Two checkpoints on 40 between China
and Reynosa, one military and the other police.

We park tow vehicles in Mission. Bikes only to Galeana. The local police allow us to park all bikes in front of the hotel in the main square where they are well lit, secure, with 24/7 police milling about as the police station is on the corner.

The 20 KM checkpoint is hit or miss. Near China there have been many reports of military and police checkpoints. They skip the paperwork and are just looking for gang activity and contraband.

Glad you had a good trip to Galeana. And thanks for the ride report.

P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back