• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

May 2016 Medina Pie Run Reports here...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
We're here!
12c55b40b752aeeb2809a06308a2af26.jpg

Re: Pie run V: The apple store, Medina 5/28/16

Full bellies ready to ride
4541757c7edad8f954b683a97e8787e1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I almost didn't make this Pie Run.... Stayed up way too late processing a clients images and on four hours of sleep hit snooze a lot this morning. To the point I said "I'm staying in bed". Then I just thought that was silly, got up, geared up and headed out.

A very quick blast out 290 through Johnson City, Fredericksberg, then 16 South Kerrville and then 173/2828 to Medina - I had great weather for all of it except South of Kerrville and on into Medina from the South. Drizzly mist was the order of the day at that point.

Arrived at The Apple Orchard and a couple folks were already there. A table was secured and the rest of the troops arrived. I think there were about 14 or 15 of us. Great conversations were had, some lunch and then now what? "Hey - let's all go to Vanderpool to the Motorcycle Museum"!

So out from Medina we went. Just a couple miles down 337 I spied these hoodlums.....

Fred
i-VkLPSBr-XL.jpg

(fred can be such a squid at times... ;-))
i-GPjRFqJ-XL.jpg

Leon
i-W66m8J5-XL.jpg

Rusty
i-XHRm3t6-XL.jpg

Carolyn
i-B7PDjFT-XL.jpg

Jeff
i-rPTdhFh-XL.jpg

Robert
i-VVJLf9g-XL.jpg

Bob and Thee Saint
i-jSRpVpq-XL.jpg

We arrived at the museum and feasted our eyes on the goodies inside. I opted for the details this time around... Here's a few snaps:
i-8Qc3QVp-XL.jpg

i-9n6wx8w-XL.jpg

i-4FpXXGS-XL.jpg

I think I could ride a Whizzer... :duck:
i-t8H2DQN-XL.jpg

i-j4vRVtc-XL.jpg

i-rVdV3rd-XL.jpg

i-ZZCbNm9-XL.jpg

i-f7JLdgG-XL.jpg

i-LVbLWsM-XL.jpg

Ever wonder your fuel pressure? (or is it volume?) Try to read this dial...
i-dDVrw3s-XL.jpg

i-8Pbt59V-XL.jpg

Old school pannier
i-TH5Cq5H-XL.jpg

i-5NXNhQH-XL.jpg

i-wLQTBbW-XL.jpg

When we were done with the museum, Gina (SpiritAtBay) figured out how to convince Rusty (Woodbutcher) to get her GPS working better. (after all, he IS the master as GPS technology)
i-psFBMRb-XL.jpg

Not naming names, but somebody really should tell this rider to peel the sticker off first.
i-JFDZ6wQ-XL.jpg

There were some pretty cool posters hanging on the walls and in the mens restroom I might have to try and re-create with a newer/modern twist. :deal:

...and finally for those who just want 'different'
i-GCJz7wp-XL.jpg

And with that, the gathering was about over
i-W4J9phH-XL.jpg

Carolyn headed out for fuel with Gina chasing her, Bob and Thee Saint left ahead of everyone for Hunt for fuel which is where Rusty, Fred and I headed. A really nice meandering along the river into Hunt, then on into Ingram, Kerrville and Fredericksberg where I split off back through Johnson City and on into Austin. Right at 336 miles for me. OK burger, better company/conversation. Till next time - :rider:

Last edited:
Nice write up, Scott.

Carolyn and I followed everyone into Hunt, completely missed the stop at the General Store. Those camping all regrouped at the park and enjoyed hamburgers off the grill and more conversation. The weather made for a quick end to the festivities though.

As i type, I am snug in the Riveteer while it is steady raining, thundering and lightning outside. I hope those who are tenting it are snug and dry as well.

Hail was expected (hail the weather phenom, not Hail the riding phenom) but so far has not happened. fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Leon, thanks for organizing Pie Runs!

BBob and Thee Saint, thanks always for your generosity and hospitality.

Ron, thanks for the steaks Friday night and cooking.

gina

I departed Austin just a little past sunrise. I experienced patches of heavy fog with mist just like last weeks Texas Adventure sponsored ride. The result of all the heavy rain the past several weeks has made for glorious riding in the Texas Hill Country but it also has resulted in treacherous low water crossings (see last week's dual-sport water crash-fest). I arrived in Medina about an hour early, so I walked across the street and had several cups of coffee at the Core Coffee House. They have a very inviting interior and a good selection of specialty drinks.

After a jolt of caffeine, I walked over to our planned meeting location. I found the TWTEX management already sitting down eating lunch. It was great to see everyone! After lunch, we did a group ride to the Motorcycle Museum in Vanderpool. Scott raced ahead with Gina and took pictures of the group as we passed along highway 337. Excellent pictures Scott!

We spent about 40 minutes looking at the large collection of vintage bikes. My knees buckled when I saw the Vincent. It was truly a design ahead of it's time! After the museum, Scott, Rusty and I slowly made our way back home. We experienced very little traffic on the next 40 miles slice of asphalt ecstasy, adding to the already pleasant terrain; scenic, elevation changes, sweepers, beautiful vistas, wonderful tree covered tunnels and gorgeous, clear rivers that invite the occasional wading party.

I look forward to our next outing!

Cheers,

Fred

28tc80p.jpg

The sport-touring delegation.

kapmjr.jpg

The gnarly dual-sport crowd.

24y2wx2.jpg

Last edited:
Back