• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yamaha SCR950 Scrambler

philipbarrett

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I'm liking the look of this one (minus the pipe, that has to go).

http://www.cycleworld.com/2017-yama...1&spJobID=821398859&spReportId=ODIxMzk4ODU5S0

2017-yamaha-scr950-vrc1_usa-can_1_rgb.jpg

I'm liking that ...

Wet Weight 547 lb.
- a tad chunky for a "Scrambler" hearkening back to the 250 and 305 "Big Bear Scramblers" of the 60's, but those looked a LOT better, IMO.

Attachments

• Yamaha-Big-Bear jpg.jpg
    Yamaha-Big-Bear jpg.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 218
That bike reminds me so much of my '82 XV920RH. I think I'm in love , again. Of course I had to paint it blue, add a fairing and different exhaust system. We are at the top of Pikes Peak here in '82 when the top half was gravel/dirt/rock. The gate guy almost didn't let up go up.

XV920RHPikesPeak1983.jpg

Last edited:
As to the "scrambler" moniker, I think that's really marketing hype, like the Triumph no one (except a few brave souls) is going to take these further than a graded forest road. What I do like about these designs is that they harken back to a practical, daily use design which has become somewhat lost in the increasingly specific categorization of bike types over the years.

I hope that these will attract new riders.

oh wow, check that funky backwards brake pedal.

foot peg mount is different, wonder what the left side mount is like.

It's a Bolt with a few mods but nicely done, the paint work pops.

I had one of those, the 250 Big Bear

Got a Campfire Tale for ya re a Big Bear, the SE Idaho foothills, and Tom Dice's nuts. Remind me at a Ghost Rancho get-together sometime. :trust:

As to the "scrambler" moniker, I think that's really marketing hype, like the Triumph no one (except a few brave souls) is going to take these further than a graded forest road. What I do like about these designs is that they harken back to a practical, daily use design which has become somewhat lost in the increasingly specific categorization of bike types over the years.

I hope that these will attract new riders.

Weren't they all, always? "Scramblers" were built, not bought, as far as I know. Wish I still had my '65/'66 (don't remember) Honda CL77!

It is a sharp looking bike but the Bolt cruiser bones underneath worry me a little bit. Geometry and engine character are likely still a lot less "scrambly" and a lot more "starbucksy". IT DOES look good though.

It is a sharp looking bike but the Bolt cruiser bones underneath worry me a little bit. Geometry and engine character are likely still a lot less "scrambly" and a lot more "starbucksy". IT DOES look good though.

2 shocks on the rear and a rear tail light that looks as though it will rip the fender and fall off and round gauges and a headlight pod and disk brakes ... it is missing "burn yer calf" pipes out the side.

Still nifty ...

For reference, this is a proper scrambler ...

maxresdefault.jpg

Back