• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arkansas trip report

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
Thanks to Ron and James for inviting me along when my trip to a Norton Rally in Colorado fell through. My wife had planned a "girls night" with all her hoodlum girlfriends and was told I was going somewhere. Ron and James gave me a destination.

This will be the first "long" trip for me in over 30 years. Last time was a trip to Arkansas in the early 80s. I recall that trip vividly and cannot believe time has flown by so fast.

I had no travelling gear. There are so many options it was hard to focus and be realistic. I bought stuff I'll rarely use and wish I had bought more of other stuff.

Wound up with Leader duffel bags. 1 will fit in my top case if needed, sit sideways on my pillion seat and I can still open my side cases. They are wide enough to hold lots of gear and act as a nice backrest.

So the night before, I have everything ready to go. Meeting James in Weatherford at 0615.

0615_01_RTG.jpg

I had posted earlier about bad karma and I should just stay home. I didn't heed the warning signs.

At 820/35W construction zone traffic was just creeping along and before we realized the normal mess was complicated by a bad accident at the 35W/287 split, I was trapped between barricades with nowhere to escape, legally or illegally.

The RT got flippin' hot. I had warning lights flashing and tappets were clattering loud. We finally bullied our way over and got under some shade to let her cool down. I thought my trip was over before it even started.

0616_01_Cooling.jpg

But after about 1/2 hour, she had cooled and quieted down. Thank you Mobil 1.

Met with Ron and finally got going around 8:30. Ron led us through some beautiful country roads leading to Paris and then blasted through Oklahoma, arriving in Mena, AR before 3pm. We stopped about every 60-90 minutes for saddle breaks and hydration. It was pretty daggum hot.

Captain Ron filed the primary flight plans, but there were several deviations on the fly. It made the trip not so much destination oriented, rather a very relaxed. Made the trip extremely enjoyable as the schedule pressure to get to an anointed destination wasn't looming.

Weather was cloudy and hovered around 80 for the most part. Found a few sprinkles, but it was very nice riding weather. Traffic wasn't bad at all and we made pretty good time.

Travelled north on hiway 7. I recall travelling 7 30 years ago and it is still a great ride. Highly recommend.

Reverend Ron has a sixth sense about places and we stopped to gaze at Umpers Knob. :trust:

0617_05_UmpersKnob.jpg

And James thought it a bad idea either follow or lead the belching logging truck and band of Deliverance refugees dragging scrap-laden "trailers". So we peeled off and waited ... with a view.

0617_06_LogTruck.jpg

We were bound for Harrison for the night. But plans changed at lunch in Jasper.

Shameless picture post for Drew, the Chicken Fried Steak Grand Poo-Bah.

0617_07_CFSJasper.jpg

Courtesy of the Ozark Cafe, Jasper, Ar

Good stuff ....

Slacker Ron wanted to stay the night in Clinton. I think he just came out of the closet. Appropriately named, Clinton was a dump. so we pressed onto Conway.

The day's route ...

Day1.jpg

Awesome ride, fellas. By 3pm the clouds were gone and replaced by high temps and humidity. I was done by the end of the day.

Next morning, we stopped for fuel before leaving Conway.

Meet Dalton ...

0617_03_Dalton.jpg

Dalton is from Virginia and several months ago, sold everything he owned, packed and headed west. Stopped in Santa Barbara, Ca. Headed up the coast and turned back east through Montana, Colorado and then east when we met him.

Said he stopped along the way and worked on farms and ranches for room, board and a little spending money.

From here he said he was going home and back to school. What an adventure. Good luck to you Dalton.

We had decided to ride the Pig trail, go back to Mena for the night, leave early, ride the Talimena and hot-foot it back home.

While Ron made physiological adjustments ...

0618_01.jpg

James made a quick call and found the Inn was full in Mena. So the meander to the Pig Trail was cut short by about an hour and the target was Talimena ride that evening and stay in Talihina.

After the 72nd missed turn, we had Ron's head on a platter ...

0618_02.jpg

He didn't see the issue. He confessed he misses airports all the time. :rofl:

The Pig trail is a definite must ride. Canopy covered twisting and winding road has plenty of scenery. And lots of great photo ops ... none of which I took. Guess I was having too much fun. I think James and Ron got a few.

Rode south on 71 and then west to get on the Talimena Scenic Byway.

Entrance to the Talimena was interrupted by a quick rain shower at the base of Rich Mountain where we found this treasure ...

0618_03_waiting%20out%20the%20rain.jpg

Rich Mountain Country Store doesn't take credit cards, there is no cell service, but once you walk inside, its a whole 'nuther trip. Multiple lies ... I mean stories ... are told and only about 10% of the "stuff" is for sale. Great place for a Moonpie and Creme Soda, though.

I'll let Ron tell the rest of the story. :lol2:

After the shower had passed, up the mountain and onto the Talimena.

0618_04_Talimena.jpg

0618_06.jpg

Folks, this is an easy 1/2-day ride from DFW. Just sayin' ...

Here was our trek on Day 2 in Arkansas ...

Day2.jpg

Ate a great meal at Pam's Hateful Hussie Diner :eat:

PamsHatefullHussie.jpg

Its a stolen image, but the food was great and the portions were monstrous. Bring an appetite ... :giveup:

Next day, we said good-bye and hot-footed it home.

0619_01_Homeward.jpg

Random thoughts:

Weeks could be spent driving meandering back roads.
Unbelievably nice folks.
It gets hot, but a well placed cloud cools it off fast.
Lots of places to take a saddle break. Should have taken more.
Wish I was there today.

Thanks for the report.

Hopefully I'll get to head East soon to see waht all the hype is about. So far all my pursuits have been out West.

So far all my pursuits have been out West.

As was the plan rev 2.
But smarter people than me mentioned 12-14 hours of dedicated saddle time to get to coolness while 6 hours of leisurely riding heading east.

so back to Ron's original plan and a good plan it was.

Nice report,thanks for the CFS reference.

On the plate was a scoop of bacon-laden potato salad ... a very nice compliment to the CFS.

Last edited:
Nice, Mitch. :clap: Four days of fun and games. We need to go again in the fall. 1290 miles in 4 days. Pretty fair for old guys.

There are sure some nice roads there. I've ridden to Mena on the Talimena trail, but never further into the state. Need to plan that.

What was your favorite road out that way?

The Pig Trail was great as was the Talimena.

But trailing very close behind were the roads that seemed to just pop up on James' or Ron's GPS. Those were just as epic.

The three musketeers. It was an awesome time and nice for me to be the youngster... for a change.

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_0751_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0751_1024.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Very much enjoyed your trip report. Thanks. Got me all excited for my tip to AR this coming weekend.

nice report mitch. i hope to make the fall run.

btw, it takes a half a day just to get around dfw....:twitch:

Looks like you guys had an awesome ride.

I got home from up there today. Rode back home this afternoon after attending the Bonus Pie Run at the Oark Store today.

After spending a fair amount of time in AR, and still haven't covered all the cool roads, I consider it a nice close place when I want to get away. It's not CO however, which I need to do this year!

Enjoyed the pictures and the maps on roads covered. Great ride! I miss being able to make runs like that anymore. Use to do Ark 2 to 4 times a year for 20 yrs and still never done every fine road in that state , paved and gravel. Go back and get ya'll some more.

Great ride and story. As far as 35W through Ft Worth, I try to avoid at all costs. Even if it takes longer to detour I will do so just to avoid the traffic.

I'm ready to head there now! Great report!
Probably heading that direction in a little over a month.
I usually head to Mena for my first day then a little farther NE the next day.

No bad roads there unless you miss the barricades when the rain occasionally washes out half the road!

I was up that way about a month ago, rode several of those roads and more besides. I loved it too, great roads and lots of them. Seemed like I could get lost for weeks and never ride a bad road!
Glad you had a great time up there.

Back