• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Moving On

Reaction score
I was on a Colorado trip with my son last week when I went down on a tight curve on my Ninja 1000 and bounced off a guard rail in Custer County. The area near the curve is called Rattlesnake Gulch. The name's appropriate as I got bit there :lol2: We'd trailered our bikes to Raton (first time I'd done that) and rode from there. Although it wasn't the intent, having the trailer to haul back a wounded bike was a lifesaver.

It's a beautiful area I'd recommend visiting, fantastic roads and surfaces, the area is kinda remote but that was what I found great about it. I'd love to have a summer place right near Silver Cliff. Found some really nice places, might have to take a trip with my wife (in a car) to look about.

I'm OK (gratefully so), the gear did it's job, the bike is waiting diagnosis from the claims adjuster. Now I know this drives my wife batty, but I'm already checking out replacements :loco:, if need be. I'd not be getting another Ninja, as much as I loved it. When it came to replacement time I knew I'd be interested in the Kawasaki Versys 1000 LT.

I'd like to get Versys owners reviews/comments. Nothing technical needed, observations and opinions are fine. I think the V-LT would be a great all-rounder, provide good carrying capacity, not too heavy, with some sport ability to keep it interesting. And, although she doesn't do it much, provide a nice perch for a passenger (if she ever gets on a bike with me again :trust: :lol2:).

Anyway, looking forward to what I'll read on any feedback. Thanks.

Last edited:
I've had my Versys for about 4 months and a little over 3000 miles. I tend to think of it as a tall Ninja 1000. The best way I've seen it put, is that the C14 is a Sport Tourer, the Ninja 1000 is a Sport tourer and the Versys 1000 is a sport Tourer.

I commute on it. I've done several short day trips, both solo and two up. So far only one 500+ mile over night trip, that one was two up and fully loaded. The Versys has handled everything well from commuting, to freeways and interstates to twisty back roads.

One of the best things about the Versys is the suspension. It really soaks up all the bumps and pot holes on poorly maintained secondary streets, county and FM roads. I came off a cruiser with short suppression travel. During the first two up ride on the Versys, I commented on how bad one of the bumps would have felt on the old bike, and got the reply "what bump?"

I ordered a Baldwin sport touring seat and it is excellent. The stock seat isn't bad, probably a step up from the Ninja 1000. My biggest complaint and one of the most common of Versys owners, is that the stock seat slopes forward pushing you into the tank under breaking.

When you titled this "Moving on" and talked about a crash, I figured you were hanging up your helmet. Enjoy whatever new bike you get, and go back to Colorado and conquer that curve.

Your wife was on the bike when you went down?

I had an '08 Versys 650. It was one of the most FUN motorcycles I've ridden on the road. Let me season this opinion with some fessin up. I'm not much of a street rider and have very limited reference to draw from or compare to so YMMV. But, it never gave me a moment's mechanical issue. The FI parallel 650 engine is bullet proof and will flat jump out from under you. I can only imagine what the 1000 will be like...

Styling was definitely influenced by euro and it did look different. I had no problem passing it on to the next rider at a fair price.

When you titled this "Moving on" and talked about a crash, I figured you were hanging up your helmet. Enjoy whatever new bike you get, and go back to Colorado and conquer that curve.

Yeah that was misleading :doh:, I musta still had that ringing in my head when I posted the thread title :twitch: :lol2:. and I don't know how to change a posted thread title :shrug: I meant to mean moving on to another bike. Not giving up yet :rider: I'm a big believer in getting back on the horse (literally, horses used to be my profession). I've pretty well figured what I did wrong and probably go back on that trip and face/make that curve next year.

Your wife was on the bike when you went down?

Oh thank the Lord no. I've been blessed to have never had an accident with a passenger. I took my son all over the country on the back of my motorcycles and always kept it upright. I don't think I could forgive myself if a pillon hit asphalt because of my mistakes.

Thanks for the responses. It'll be a while before I fill the empty spot in my garage. I'm riding the Shiver the the pie run next week, the closest it's been to my place this year.

Last edited:
Glad you are OK Mark. I hope to see you at the pie run.
Rick

Thanks Rick. Hope to see you also on Saturday. Good to see you still have the Duck.

Very sorry to here about your spill Mark, but quite pleased to hear that you came through unscathed.

I can't speak first-hand for the 1 liter version of the Versys, but the 650 is quite the fun bike. I sometimes regret selling the '08 I had (there was this '03 FZ1 I ran across in the TWT For Sale forum). From everything I've heard, the 1000cc Versys is much like Skip's Tiger 1050.

The Versys forum is a pretty active place if you haven't check it out already. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/2-general-kawasaki-versys-discussions/112298-sat-versys-1000lt-today.html

Update on my Ninja.

Talked to Longview Cycle & Ski today. They're doing the estimate for my insurance company. I've already gotten a check for my helmet coverage.

Cycle & Ski estimate is $10,500+ to repair. $8,000+ for parts, 2,000+ for labor, also add tax. To put this in perspective, I paid $9,500 OTD for the Ninja in 6/14 :argh:

I'm expecting the bike to be totaled out. Shame that, it's a really nice bike. Would've easily owned and enjoyed it for another couple years. Not sure how it'll all turn out financially. I still owe some $ on the Ninja, so I gotta pay off that note before I start thinking about a replacement bike.

Definitely will be getting a Versys 1000 LT when that time comes, that would've eventually been my plan when it came to a replacement for my Ninja.

Last edited:
Yep, that's about how it works. My old first gen FZ1 with 50K miles on it wasn't worth more than about $3-4K. Was problaby $7k about when new. Estimate based on damaged frame for parts and labor was coming to around $14K IIRC. All that parts and labor add up fast.

MCRyder - First of all let me say that it sucks that you are having to look for a new bike under these conditions. The good news is you are ok and will get to ride again soon.

It is not a secret that my wife and I love the new Versys. I came off a C-14 (65K) and we loved that bike. With that being said, the Big V has never made us regret the choice to slim down. The Versys is a great Versatile machine that hauls ***. You can read about my thoughts on the versys here:

http://www.motoadrenaline.net/2015/04/the-ultimate-sport-touring-machine.html

You can read my wife's thoughts here if you do any two up riding;

http://www.motoadrenaline.net/2015/01/pillions-perspective.html

We have over 19K on our Versys and it has been great! We look forward to more trips on her.

IMG_1714-XL.jpg

IMG_3985-X2.jpg

IMG_4509-XL.jpg

IMG_5682-X2.jpg

lobo10s. 19K in less than a year? You definitely have the intel on the V1LT. Thanks for the pics and links. I do wish Kawasaki had migrated the front brake setup from the Ninja. The radical mount brakes had great performance, one of the reasons I replaced my Bandit 1250 with the Ninja. Might be a couple/few months before I can move on any purchase, but the V1LT is still #1 on my to-buy list :rider: The side-by-side with the N1K made me a bit :-(, still regret losing mine.

Last edited:
I have the twin bike of Lobo10s. The big Versys will do anything you ask of it. And there are heavy discounts right now on leftover 15s.

a99c9083d23d4d179369204622b35ccc.jpg

I've got my eye on a '16 black/silver model at a great OTD price. Hoping it'll last till I can make a move on the purchase. But I wouldn't turn down a deal on a '15 if I can find a good deal

My insurance company is totaling the Ninja, just got the official word yesterday. Even though I expected it, it's still a bummer. The Ninja was a great bike. I was looking for sport with comfort and the Ninja delivered it. Only 7K on the engine, brand new PR3's mounted. But I've learned, in 60 years of living and more than half of that riding, to expect potholes in life's road and either ride through or around them, just try to keep it upright and moving forward.

Had my last accident/total in October, 1993 and I've covered more than a quarter million miles since on some fantastic riding roads without a scratch to me or a bike. My '93 accident was the same scenario. Riding down a downhill left hand 20mph curve, though in '93 I hit a tree. Same outcome. Totaled bike, but no personal injuries. So I'm still in the black in life's ledger.

Now I've got to do all the "stuff" needed to get the claim worked out and paid. Sign this, verify that, check that box, etc :argh:. Then get the bike paid off and start negotiating for a new bike (with wife and dealer :lol2: ).

Read a great article about the Versys 1000 in a Motorcycle Daily review. They stripped off the luggage rack, saddle bags, center stand and replaced the stock battery with a Shorai. That shed 40lbs off, which got the Versys down to 510lbs. Install an Akrapovic slip-on and it's down to nearly 500lbs with 114hp/73tq. Those numbers are close to my Ninja, nice! Strap on a tail bag and tank bag and it'll make a fun weekend sport rider.

Probably be October before I get a Versys. I've got one spot-lighted at a good OTD price (but keeping my eye on any others) hoping it'll hold till I can move on it. And grateful that I've got the Shiver and the RT to keep me on the road.

Last edited:
Make sure you are negotiating now. That total price IS negotiable. Do some reading, ask for the CCC report and make sure you are getting the amount you deserve.

Back