• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Any good reason why I should not

Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Chesley
Really considering a Sony Alfa SLT A57 and Sigma 18-250 lens for one do it all set up. Will be in a motorcycle tank bag so don't want a bunch of glass and etcs to carry about.
Any good reasons not to pull the trigger on this set up? All suggestions invited.

No good reason not to. I used a very similar set up in my tank bag for several years, carrying a Canon XSi dslr with a Tamron 18-270 on it as my do it all set up for motorcycle travel.

The major downside for me was the camera took up a lot of space in my (necessarily) small tank bag. I recently bought a micro four thirds version of the above - an Olympus E-M5 with a 14-150 lens - specifically to use as my travel camera since the image quality was reported to be as good as most modern DSLR while being almost half the size of my Canon rig.

If space or camera size is an issue for you, then I suggest you have a look at the mirrorless interchangeable lens class of cameras before you make a buying decision. So far I am very happy with the image quality and overall handling of the Olympus rig (but, to be fair, I haven't tried it on action shots yet). If space and/or camera size are not a concern at all then the Sony A57 with 18-250 lens is a fine choice.

Last edited:
Back