• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Places for a six year to ride near Houston

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Held
My son has been showing interest in riding but I'm hesitant to buy him a bike with so few places in the city. Anyone know of somewhere safe and friendly to a new rider near Houston?

Where in Houston are you located? It's a big place, so "near" is a VERY relative term ;-)

My kids learned in our back yard. It's not quite an acre, but I do have a nice big space along the back of the yard where I was able to set up small cones to teach them basic skills like starting, stopping, turning, braking, etc... The problem is that it does not take long for the back yard to get boring.

After they get tired of the back yard, you are left with hoping to find property that might belong to someone else but who doesn't care about kids riding on it. When I was growing up in the 70's, this was no problem. In our current law suit oriented society, that is MUCH less common, if not non-existent. So if you are lucky, you know someone personally that has decent property and is willing to let you ride. After that, you are left with the trails in the Sam Houston NF or various private parks. The trails are cheaper than private parks, but they are up on the North end of Lake Conroe, so not real near for much of Houston. Private parks often require an annual membership fee and sometimes even a per use fee on top of that.

Back