• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hill Country Adventure - a guide to adventure riding the Texas hill country

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Riders,

I've just completed work on a new guide called Hill Country Adventure, a guide to adventure riding the Texas hill country.

It is a 56-page guide to dual sport adventure riding in the Texas hill country. The guide includes:
  • 8 recommended day routes, ranging from 200 miles to 350 miles, with route descriptions, directions, overview map, and ride notes.

• THC 500 - 2 day, 500 mile adventure tour of the hill country with route descriptions, directions, overview map, and ride notes.

• THC 11100 - 5 day, 1100 mile adventure tour of the hill country with route descriptions, directions, overview map, and ride notes.

• Top 10 dual sport roads in the hill country

• Top 10 hill country paved roads

• In-depth discussion of pertinent topics such as navigation, GPS, terrain, roads conditions, preparation, packing, weather, and group riding rules.

• Routes in .gpx format for use with a GPS

In short, this guide contains all the relevant information needed to go adventure riding in the Texas hill country.

The cost of the guide is $20 via check or money order or $22 if paying via paypal. Get more information and an order form [http://texasadventure.net/cool-stuff/ride-guides/]here[/url]

Basically I took the TAR guide and rewrote it so that it is not event specific. If you have a TAR guide, then the significant differences between this guide and the TAR guide are:
1. Overview maps are now included for each route in the book. I finally figured out how to include overview maps in the book without violating copyrights.

2. I added 2 tours - a 2 day, 500 mile tour and a 5 day, 1100 mile tour - for those who would rather tour than do day rides out of Junction. If you have a long weekend and want to explore the hill country, then the 500 mile tour should be just about right. If you have about a week off and want to do some riding in the hill country, the 1100 mile tour would seem to be a good fit.

3. Reduced the number of day routes to eliminate overlap. I tried to make each of the 8 day routes as unique as possible, with different roads on each route.

Last edited:
Will you have them at Terlingua in a couple weeks? If so, I'll buy one there; otherwise, color me "in" for when they're ready.

Yes, I'm planning on bringing about 20 with me to Big Bend.

Bring an extra for me Please! I would also like a T shirt in XXL if you have extras.
Do you take CASH?

I ordered two extra XXL shirts. Catch me early before they are gone.

Yes, cash works for me. (Except Connie thinks I should give it to her :-P ).

I would like one also when I see you in Terlingua, thanks Jeff

The books are in! Thank you to the Jerry for printing them for me - I really appreciate it. I got them yesterday afternoon and will mail out all the pre-ordered ones tomorrow. I'll bring all the extras to Big Bend with me.

Hi Richard, just sent in a payment for one.
Thanks,
John

Thank, John. I got it and will mail your guide out tomorrow.

Trail Boss said:
Thank, John. I got it and will mail your guide out tomorrow.

Richard will you have any guides with you at BB this year? If so please save one for me OK

I usually bring extra ride guides with me. Please catch me early as they tend to go quickly.

thumb.gif

Great to hear about the new version. I hope to purchase one the next time I see ya....

RB

I hope that all is the same since last year....I have PayPal'ed you $22.00 for the "Hill Country Adventure - a guide to adventure riding the Texas hill country "

Jerry

Thank you Trail Boss for the guide...I apologize for the trouble in getting you the money:doh: This guide is GREAT...exactly what i am looking for. Hope to see you on these roads sometime.

Is there a way I can purchase this guide Face to face here in Austin? I'm planning to ride this weekend and can't wait for it to be mailed.
Thanks

Is there a way I can purchase this guide Face to face here in Austin? I'm planning to ride this weekend and can't wait for it to be mailed.
Thanks

Yes, there is. The easiest way is to go to Lone Star BMW - they carries copies of the guide. Or you can stop by my house one evening and buy a copy. My cell phone is 512 203 6143.

Rich

I just received the Hill Country and Mex Trek guides and wanted to commend you on the content, lay out and illustrations
Well done sir :clap:

Hoping to put both to good use this year :rider:

Sounds like a great deal. I'm in, Thanks Richard! Should I see you in Terlingua or send in an order form?

Hey Richard,
Got the guide and the maps. I've had a chance to read it and it really is a great resource for someone who has never ridden dual sport in BB. We are doing this ride in later April and will follow your guidance for our first trip. Thanks for doing this. Highly recommended.

Back