• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Event changes starting in 2010

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Edited: 1/17/2010

Starting in 2010 I'm planning on making some significant changes to the yearly events I organize.

I've had a number of requests from riders to rotate the location of the events. I like the idea and after discussing it with some fellow adventure riders I think I have figured out a way to reasonably make that happen.

I plan to rotate the ds adv rallies between Junction, TX; Clarksville, Arkansas; Cloudcroft, New Mexico; and Galeana, Mexico

Going forward I'm planning to run 3 events per year and 1 tour. The Around the Bend event will still be in Feb. The other 2 annual events will be on Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day weekend, but the location will rotate year to year.

For 2010 I'm planning MexTrek on Memorial Day weekend and an Arkansas rally on Labor Day weekend.

I'm also working on an annual 8 day tour of Mexico during Thanksgiving week. Each year the tour would visit a different part of Mexico. Over the next 3 years I'm wanting to tour Copper Canyon, Sierra Gorda, and Espinoza del Diablo. I haven't worked out all the logistics of the tour yet, so I don't really have any additional info about it to share right now.

My goal continues to be to contribute what I can to the ds adv community. Hopefully these changes will be well received and will help keep the rallies fun and interesting.

Last edited:
Starting in 2010 I'm planning on making some significant changes to the Texas Adventure yearly events.

I've had a number of requests from riders to rotate the location of the events. I like the idea and after discussing it with some fellow adventure riders I think I have figured out a way to reasonably make that happen.

I plan to rotate the ds adv rallies between Junction, TX; Clarksville, Arkansas; Cloudcroft, New Mexico; and Galeana, Mexico

Going forward I'm planning to run 3 events per year and 1 tour. The Around the Bend event will still be in Feb. The other 2 annual events will be on Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day weekend, but the location will rotate every other year, rotating between Junction, AR, NM, and Mexico every 2 years.

For 2010 I'm planning an Arkansas rally on Memorial Day weekend and a New Mexico rally on Labor Day weekend.

For 2011 I'm planning on TAR on Memorial Day weekend and MexTrek on Labor Day weekend.

I'm also working on an annual 8 day tour of Mexico during Thanksgiving week. Each year the tour would visit a different part of Mexico. Over the next 3 years I'm wanting to tour Copper Canyon, Sierra Gorda, and Espinoza del Diablo. I haven't worked out all the logistics of the tour yet, so I don't really have any additional info about it to share right now.

My goal continues to be to contribute what I can to the ds adv community. Hopefully these changes will be well received and will help keep the rallies fun and interesting.

Here are a few tips about planning a ride around Cloudcroft.
Memorial Day week-end almost always has partial fire restrictions in place. Which means all single track and all but the main forest service roads are closed. Some years it will be too dry for even those roads to be open.
If there are partial fire restrictions in place, lodging will usually be available. If they have a wet spring and there are no restrictions, you'll probably not be able to find a place to stay unless you book well in advance.
By the end of summer, there will have been enough rain to remove any fire restrictions, but since that's the last holiday of the summer, the lodging is really in short supply....and there will be at least 12,000,000 people in the forest....and almost all of the cabins or motels will only accept a 3 day (or more) reservation on holiday week-ends...

Hope this helps...:lol2:

skinny,

Thanks for the info about Cloudcroft. I was planning on Labor Day weekend there but it sounds like lodging will likely be an issue. Ideas? Alternate locations (Ruidosa?)

skinny,

Thanks for the info about Cloudcroft. I was planning on Labor Day weekend there but it sounds like lodging will likely be an issue. Ideas? Alternate locations (Ruidosa?)

Ruidoso is worse than Cloudcroft on Labor Day. That's the week-end for the biggest horse race of the year, so there are people from all over the southwest and Mexico pouring in. Nearly every town in New Mexico has some kind of Labor Day Fair or similar event, which makes it difficult to find lodging on short notice. All of the mountain areas in New Mexico are pretty much packed on Labor Day.

Richard the Mexico tour sounds like a blast. I would Love to go but Thanksgiving is my favorite family Holiday!
It sounds like changing the event locations may take some pressure off the locals that don't like us in there area.
I feel sorry for the businesses that do appreciate us!

I would love to go but Thanksgiving is my favorite family Holiday!

+1

:pound:

This is me getting smacked at Casa Tricepilot by the esposa when I tell her I'm leaving the largest family gathering of the year over Thanksgiving to go to Mexico....again.

Single guys will have fewer problems but guys with spouses and kids especially will next on the block after the turkey for planning to be gone without the family that particular holiday.

Bob :sun:

Bob,

Tell your esposa that your family can celebrate Thanksgiving any day you want - don't be a slave to THE MAN and have your Thanksgiving dictated to you. Set yourself free! Pick your own Thanksgiving day. That or bribe your wife with a bunch of money to spend while you are out riding. :)

Tell your esposa that your family can celebrate Thanksgiving any day you want - don't be a slave to THE MAN and have your Thanksgiving dictated to you.

Come down and tell THAT to my biker chick wife

592311875_tVtA9-O.jpg

I may be the only one, but I am sorry to hear that Mexico may only happen every two years. I mean, at age 61 I've got a few years left and want to take advantage of every opportunity to ride Mexico, which is my favorite. I guess I'll have to get together with one or two people and go on my own...

Looking forward to getting an ADV/DS bike someday. This looks like it'd be lots of fun.

Richard,
I like the Idea of moveing the locations and dates around. REALLY like the Idea of 8 days in different parts of Mexico, What a great place to ride. TOO bad it will never happen for me. Thanksgiving is a family weekend, just as much as Christmas and Easter. Never missed one in 59 years, not about to start. Some of my family members drive for 8 hours to gather at the old homestead. This is the only day of the year that all of my extended family (Uncles, cousins) get together. If you can plan another time for 8 days in Mexico, I would like to go.
Cotton

Richard, when are you going to just bite the bullet, go into the MC Tour business full time?
Then you could stay at home, slave over the grille in the backyard on Memorial Day, Labor Day. Say grace over the dead turkey on the family dining table at Thanksgiving? - VBG -

Think about it, there's enough ORF's (Old Retired Farts) around, you could keep busy all year long. 10 bike max with 8 clients, you and a swamper. Hire me to drive the Crew cab pulling the trailer. Spring & Fall in Texas, Arkansas. Summers in Colorado, New Mexico. Winters, all over Mexico.

Just Do It...

Richard, when are you going to just bite the bullet, go into the MC Tour business full time?

Randy,

It wouldn't be all that hard to talk me into doing it. My wife, on the other hand, would require more persuasion than you and I combined possess. And you and I are persuasive fellows.

Seriously, though, if I could figure a way to transition from the corp world to MC tour and rally business without losing my home, wife, kids, retirement savings, etc in the process I'd do it in a heart-beat.

hey, if we could come up with a good business plan I'd be in with you.

Seriously, though, if I could figure a way to transition from the corp world to MC tour and rally business without losing my home, wife, kids, retirement savings, etc in the process I'd do it in a heart-beat.

hmmm.....oookaaaay.........but, are those your *only* objections?!?

:lol2:

Richard,
Could a few TWs make it on these trips? I have always wanted to take them on a long trip. Longest I have rode on one in one day is about 125 miles and I was just having fun. Don't think I could do the Mexico trip because of work, but the others sound like a ton of fun.

By the way the TWs have been regeared and loaded they'll run 60 with no issues.

I scoured the ride report from Mex Trek 2008 and would have loved to go in 2009. I've travelled extensively in Mexico and always loved the country and the people. My only riding in Mexico was in the Baja 2000 and reading about your event brought back the memories of some great riding. But my second biggest deadline of the year is October 15. I had hoped the 2010 ride would be after that date - but not in 2011!.

Any US destination is likely to be crowded on holiday weekends. That's the great thing about Mexico - July 4th, Mem Day and Labor Day mean nothing. And at the higher elevations you escape the Texas heat.

One man's vote - 4th of July or Labor Day in Mexico.

Toltec,

I will be making additional changes to the 2010 calendar. Enough riders have made the point that lodging on holiday weekends can be very challenging for a large group, so I'm going to re-work the schedule.

I am planning on hosting MexTrek again in 2010. I just need to decide on a date (as of now, I'm considering if moving it to late spring might be a good time to have it).

I am glad to hear that there will be a 2010 MexTrek. At the rate I am going, I need every possible opportunity to make that event :doh: Perhaps a different time of year might break my string of bad luck for making it in Oct. What about some time in May?

Back