• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3rd Annual Around the Bend

Oh, what to do. It's a really, really long drive. Do I get a trophy if I'm the furthest from home?

Alot of my newfound Mexico friends will be there, plus Big Don... Hrm.

Ideally you split gas with one or two others for the ride down. Or a big trailer like we did last year. If you are in a hotel room, plan on around $70 a night. Half that if you share. Camping is far less, about $10 a night. Food depends on where you eat. Plan on $5-6 if you grab breakfast at Kathy's (do it at least once just because it's good). Dinner will be $10-$25 depending on where. Even more if you have alcohol with your meal at the Starlight (nicest and most expensive). Longdraw Pizza is a good deal. Lunch could be premade sandwiches in Rio Grande Village or Taqueria in Presidio. Just depends on which way you head. Or beef jerky and granola bars on the trail.

I tend to haul snack type food and munch as a I go during the day. Then save the big meal for the evening. Breakfast I will eat big if it will be a long day riding just to have something that lasts. Otherwise it is bananas and instant oatmeal or granola bars. Water in the camelback during the day and Shiner's on the Front Porch at night.

Seems like around $500 would be a safe bet then. Obviously, the sharing of hotel rooms and trailer would drop that. I'm thinking about coming in Wednesday night the 24th so I could get 3 full days of riding. :rider:

I am a beginner rider... what type of equipment would you recommend for this trip? I have a kawasaki sherpa but do not yet have any repair/maintenance equipment/kits yet... any recommendations? Is there a list posted anywhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this looks like a lot of fun. Thanks!

I don't have full buy-in from my boss since they won't know the Feb schedule until mid/late Jan. He said it was up to me.

Guess what I chose?

Big Bend here I come!! :flip:

:chug:
Oh, what to do. It's a really, really long drive. Do I get a trophy if I'm the furthest from home?

Alot of my newfound Mexico friends will be there, plus Big Don... Hrm.

Joseph, start planning now and I will see you there, let me know if you want to split a room.:chug:

I am a beginner rider... what type of equipment would you recommend for this trip? I have a kawasaki sherpa but do not yet have any repair/maintenance equipment/kits yet... any recommendations? Is there a list posted anywhere? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this looks like a lot of fun. Thanks!

The Big Bend ride guide contains quite of bit of information addressing your questions. Check out pages 8 - 16.

We will probably be staging in Kerrville Wed night and driving the remaining 400 miles on Thu. I need to check with my sis over Christmas about parking, but we may have a place to consolidate a few vehicles (g/f and I will be leaving one truck/trailer there for sure; she's coming in from Houston and I from Rockport). I have a quad-cab Dodge which will be carrying a slide-in camper and pulling a 6x12 single-axle trailer, each of which may have room for one or two more (and at 8 mpg loaded, I'll take all the help I can get on gas!). The truck is a 2008 Powerwagon on 35s, so if someone's bike absolutely positively has to be retrieved and hauled out of the park, I expect I can make that happen. I will be carrying ramps as well.

This is gonna be fun!

Richard,
I'll be there, do I have to fill in the PDF registration or can I PM you my info (if you don't already have it.)

Is it still $20 if I paypal for the shirt, I'll be ordering one of each? I'll take one of each, beats shopping for shirts locally! :lol2:
You can PM it to me unless you want a ride guide or t-shirt.

Is it still $20 if I paypal for the shirt, I'll be ordering one of each? I'll take one of each, beats shopping for shirts locally! :lol2:

Please add $1 for each shirt ordered when using paypal.

Flatland rider looking to make this ride. Would like to get together with an older group (those of us who can appreciate the OTB endo) and do some conservative dual sporting. My usual deal is to haul my bike in an 8X5 cargo trailer and use it as a camper so will need hook-ups. My primary concern is to get with a group that has local knowledge and will prevent me from becoming a pile of bleached bones and twisted metal. (just kiddin') Any advice will be truly appreciated and look forward to riding this tyruly awesome area...!

Richard, It looks like I'm in along with a co-worker. We will also be there for the New Year for a pre-ride test. You or Uncle going to be in the area for New Years?

FJR,

Uncle is there now. He already has the welcome mat out so stop by and say hello to him.

How many camped last year? Is camping near where folks stay in motels? I'd want to hang out and visit at night, so hopefully they aren't too far apart.

I've never been to Big Bend, and promised myself a trip several times. I read this last year and couldn't go, but had forgotten how good the weather can be that tie of year. I'm putting this on my highly probable list.

I'll be road only, but the S3 does have good ground clearance.

David,

Quite a lot of folks camped last year, but I don't have an exact count. Many camped at the property next to Uncle's place. The owner of that property allows us to camp there during the event. It is in the heart of Terlingua and a short walk to the front porch, the Boathouse, and Uncle's place (the 3 primary evening hang out spots).

I'd like to go, but I just don't think I wanna do that whole long drive solo. Is anyone going from the DFW or preferably further NE Texas area? I'm in Texarkana, I'll be towing and I have room for my bike and POSSIBLY two others (tight on the trailer, but I've done it before.)

Splitting gas is all I ask. =P

I'll be leaving from San Antonio on Thursday the 25th, and returning on Sunday. I have room for 1-2 bikes (depending on size) on my trailer, if anyone needs a ride.

Paul
05 KLR650

I'm really hoping to do this ride. I'll be working on my hallpass over the holidays and hope to report back in early Jan with a thumbs up!

Whoa, just booked a room at the El Dorado hotel in Terlingua and it was $115 + tax per night. :eek2:

A little more than I expected. I may end up camping/sleeping in my truck to save some cash. :doh:

Back