• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Great Divide Ride: June 10 - 16, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is a group of 8 riders wanting to ride fully supported, from silver city to Co springs and back, I have a huge metro bus that can carry 8 riders, 10 bikes, and gear. We raced out of it with the CMRA for a couple of years and if you like air mattresses and oriental rugs for furniture it is not a bad way to camp either. Operating cost is about $1 per mile so it would take about $150 per rider based on a 2013 mile trip total, for the bus only.

Hmmm!!!??? Very interested in this one. I see a few posts people riding their S10's. Would a Suzuki DR650 be capable?

Did I close the garage?

Hmmm!!!??? Very interested in this one. I see a few posts people riding their S10's. Would a Suzuki DR650 be capable?

More than capable it would conquer! I reserve to change my opinion at the end of this month though. Planning to ride the entire Banff to Antelope Wells route on the S10.

_

If ya'll need a place to camp in Salida, CO I know an advrider gentleman that would be happy to host for the night. He's retired, has a big field next to the river and is a GREAT dual sport rider. Let me know and I will find out his availability.

Did I close the garage?

This past summer...when I was out scouting routes for our ride across CO...I rode my DR. Mainly because I was covering a lot of pavement between passes & I like it better than my DRZ on the hardtop. Since I had never ridden it on rugged rock & dirt...I was worried. However it went anywhere I wanted, and I still had the original Trail Wings on it. With good off road tires I think it would be unstoppable. I am not a good rider...probably a B- usually...so I just took it slow in the really rugged stuff (and I had it in some really rugged stuff) and it just motored along. I got the feeling that if you really hit the hard stuff like on the DRZ...either something might break, or it would eventually cause damage to the suspension, but take it easy & she will go anywhere.

The boss said to get vacation requests ready for next year so I put down the dates for this event!!! I'll get my DR ready!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This past summer...when I was out scouting routes for our ride across CO...I rode my DR. Mainly because I was covering a lot of pavement between passes & I like it better than my DRZ on the hardtop. Since I had never ridden it on rugged rock & dirt...I was worried. However it went anywhere I wanted, and I still had the original Trail Wings on it. With good off road tires I think it would be unstoppable. I am not a good rider...probably a B- usually...so I just took it slow in the really rugged stuff (and I had it in some really rugged stuff) and it just motored along. I got the feeling that if you really hit the hard stuff like on the DRZ...either something might break, or it would eventually cause damage to the suspension, but take it easy & she will go anywhere.

My buddy and I rode around Ouray CO in August of 2014 ( bikes were new). I had Dunlops D606's and he had the stock Trail Wings. Both did really well but the D606's were the tire to have. Most of our riding was off road and I think we clocked over 500 miles in 4 days. Lots of fun and ready to go back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sure it is big bike friendly, but any mud or sand will negate the benefits, my weapon of choose will be a dr650 as well.

I have a full figure with a 30" inseam. The xr's 37 inch seat hieght does not go with my figure or else I would be on one. The dr's motor will pull away from the xr all day. But your suspension will take me in the ruff. That being said I will just have to pop a wheelie over the ruff. ;-)

Might pull away from an xr200

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

By that time my DR 650 will be sporting a 10.5 to 1 piston, a 230 cam and stage one port job So I will pull away even faster.

I have a full figure with a 30" inseam. The xr's 37 inch seat hieght does not go with my figure or else I would be on one.

Your avatar photo doesn't look full figured to me. And are you sure a 30" inseam only? Those look like very long legs and should straddle any seat nicely regardless of height.

_

My buddy and I rode around Ouray CO in August of 2014 ( bikes were new). I had Dunlops D606's and he had the stock Trail Wings. Both did really well but the D606's were the tire to have.

:tab When I had my KLR 650, the D606 was my go to tire. Whether on pavement or dirt, these are just great tires. I regularly flogged the KLR through twisties in Arkansas and Colorado on D606's and never had any issue running fun speeds or staying up with bigger bikes on more street biased tires. I could usually get several long trips out of a set of tires (long being about 6-7 full days of riding per trip) and even a few weekend trips and some day rides out of them. But like I said, I really flogged these tires hard. For a trip like this, I would go ahead and spring for a new set unless I had just mounted a set recently and they had very few miles on them. I like having the most knobby possible when I know I am going to be doing a lot of unpaved stuff that includes rocks and perhaps sand.

:tab As for the Dr650 being capable... I have seen one ridden like a mountain goat through the desert and mountains of Arizona and I had trouble keeping him in sight while riding my KTM 530 EXC, and the DR was bone stock on worn out suspension! The bike will not be your limiting factor ;-) However, you may want to get a larger gas tank than the stock tank just so you have some decent range. I hate having to worry about gas constantly.

:tab I have ridden quite a bit of the route on various trips and I can tell you that if it does rain, that changes EVERYTHING! Some of the roads it won't matter much. Other roads will become almost impassable, especially for the big bikes but even for the smaller bikes. The mud just becomes incredibly slick. Riding on the edge or even off the road in the grass doesn't really help. you also run the risk of thorns in the tires if you get off the road.

I already have a ims 4.9 gal, range about 180. My limiting factor will be my figure bumps into the oversized tank.

I have a 30" inseam also. Let's race [emoji15]

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

Your avatar photo doesn't look full figured to me. And are you sure a 30" inseam only? Those look like very long legs and should straddle any seat nicely regardless of height.

_

If he looked like his avatar, there would likely be a LOT more guys signing up for this ride... ;-)

Thanks for organizing such an awesome ride...im in...on a new bike...

Hoop & I did the NM part of the CDR 9/09, Report Had a great time.
I compared the tracks and they were mostly the same, except we started in Deming. Parked the car & trailed at AT Storage near the airport; it was maned 24h.

Thinking about doing it again with y'all.

I have a enclosed trailer and tow rig that can haul four bikes and/or sleep 3. If we had someone to drive the rig as support and to want to be on a bike it's available.

thats a phenomenal job of the .gpx tracks! showing gas and lodging opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back