• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend rally - March 23 - 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Liking the sound of this. Ive kind of done Big Bend . This would add a new element.
me too, thou i haven't done all there is to do in both BBNP n BBSP, since i seen doug, steve, bob n mark ride mex side of santa elena canyon, its on my must do list, c u there guys, i'm in.

I'm in, taking a week off, 9 days total!!! Camping in my old 1960 bus again near Uncle's if this is still allowed.

Looking for other early arrivals who might want to go to Pinto Canyon hot springs as well as one overnight (possibly camp, possibly hotel) in Mexico to the overlook.

You rang?

Photo wasn't displaying for me. Followed link to find it so posting to save others time.

FB_IMG_1479744692493_zpscofdxgs7.jpg

_

Love it! I have a Gen 2 Klr that I may have to do that to some day.:trust:

I noticed you no longer have "Uncle's" in the name of this rally. Does that mean no more free camping and porta potty across the street from the El Dorado?

_

I checked with Uncle and he says Gareth Park will be available for camping. It's across the street and a bit west of the El Dorado. Uncle was not sure there would be a porta potty, so plan on one not being available. The Big Bend Motor Resort in Study Butte has toilet and shower facilities. The toilet is free, the shower is $2 for 6 minutes. Bring quarters.

Last edited:
What is the ratio of off road to pavement on these rides?

Technically, there is no off-road riding at all in the Big Bend area. Neither the state or national parks allow off-road riding and all the land around the parks is private, so no off-road riding there either.

There are lots of public dirt roads in both parks, affording lots of off-pavement riding. That's what all the dirt guys ride. The dirt roads in both parks are public roads so you must have a street-legal vehicle in order to ride them.

How much pavement versus off-pavement you do is entirely up to you. Some groups will ride 90% dirt. Others will ride more pavement and less off-pavement. Your call.

My wife and I were in Terlingua last week, stayed at Chisos Mining Co. It was fine with me. We ate Mexican food at Rio Bravo and it was excellent. We were there only one night, we spent one night in Alpine, and one in Marfa. We did a half day canoe on the Rio Grande. Next time a full day. It was fantastic (scenery) and an easy paddle going with the flow.

Silver bucket, man thats just too funny, Dave i believe u owe him a Coors beer or something next time u c him,

You bet I do!

I reserved the small cabin at Chisos. I always stay there. I hope Mike Harney is coming with his BMW R1200 GS. Also my friend Gabriel is bringing his Ural if he finishes an album in El Paso in time. He and I have Ural-ed and Harley'd our way to several states in the past 3 years.

I'll send in my registration $$.

DB

Technically, there is no off-road riding at all in the Big Bend area. Neither the state or national parks allow off-road riding and all the land around the parks is private, so no off-road riding there either.

There are lots of public dirt roads in both parks, affording lots of off-pavement riding. That's what all the dirt guys ride. The dirt roads in both parks are public roads so you must have a street-legal vehicle in order to ride them.

How much pavement versus off-pavement you do is entirely up to you. Some groups will ride 90% dirt. Others will ride more pavement and less off-pavement. Your call.

Ah okay.. I will for sure be in the more dirt oriented group. I was considering inviting my Uncle who rides a Harley. Is there lots of strictly pavement riding out there as well?

Ah okay.. I will for sure be in the more dirt oriented group. I was considering inviting my Uncle who rides a Harley. Is there lots of strictly pavement riding out there as well?

Tons of good stuff particularly if he wants to deviate off to the Fort Davis area.

I checked with Uncle and he says Gareth Park will be available for camping. It's across the street and a bit west of the El Dorado. Uncle was not sure there would be a porta potty, so plan on one not being available. The Big Bend Motor Resort in Study Butte has toilet and shower facilities. The toilet is free, the shower is $2 for 6 minutes. Bring quarters.

Thanks Richard. Kinda far to squeeze the cheeks all the way into Study Butte but the toilets at Ghost Town are a closer option.

_

Riders,

Planning is complete and registration is now open. The first post in this thread has been updated with all the logistical information.

Just booked a room at the El Dorado (King with Spa Bath!!!) and sent Richard a paypal...

Guess the twin will need some new knobbies, wonder what I should try this time.

Unless I find a killer deal on a lightly used KTM 500 EXC !!!

Just booked a room at the El Dorado (King with Spa Bath!!!) and sent Richard a paypal...

Guess the twin will need some new knobbies, wonder what I should try this time.

Unless I find a killer deal on a lightly used KTM 500 EXC !!!
If you've never stayed at the El Dorado, lower your standards prior to entering your suite...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

lol I am sure it is not a 5 star joint. Any other suggestions we have never been out in this part of Texas before :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Might be an AirBnB left but the legit ones are probably gone. The Chisos Mining is a step down from the El Dorado, which quite frankly, ain't the JW Marriott but ain't too bad either.

lol I am sure it is not a 5 star joint. Any other suggestions we have never been out in this part of Texas before :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
First time we went out for a rally and dirt bike competition, I reserved the same suite thinking a little luxury and soaking after the race would be nice. Understandably, the tub had to be filled all the way up before you could turn on the Jacuzzi. However, there was never in the course of our stay, enough hot water to fill it all the way up. The last night we tried one more time. When the water went cold we went ahead and filled it up and got in the cool water and switched on the Jacuzzi. Nothing. I mentioned this to the hotel office when we checked out expecting a partial refund on the suite. She said "Yeah, it doesn't work most of the time." No refund. The room itself was comical in its' lack of refinement, complete with a cube TV perched over the door with a cord blocking your entrance and a 3 light fixture with one bulb burning, one bulb burned out and one bulb missing altogether. And just so you don't miss out on all that hot water, there's a light switch right on the front of the counter with "hot water" scribbled in Sharpie. If you don't want to spend the money at The Ritz aka Lajitas Golf Resort... I've heard good things about the Chiso Mining Company Motel.
Enjoy!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Supply and demand certainly does rule the day down there. Hotels get away with what amounts to highway robbery for the level of accommodation & amenities provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back