• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Paul at Zabor's

Reaction score
Got this today and thought I would pass it along. Zabor's is the only place I've ever taken my bike to. Sad day...

Zabor's Motorcycle repair, unfortunately, is now permanently closed. *My name is Greg; I have been working with Paul for the last 8 1/2 years. *Most of you know me, have spoken with me, or at the very least have had most of the work on your bikes done by me (Paul liked to do the machining work and the dirt bikes and left most of everything else to me). *I am sending out this email to inform y'all that I will be available to assist you with your motorcycle service needs at another location. *I should have the old phone number up and working again within a coupe of days (512-467-9484); you may contact me that way as well as through my email address. *Please note that I will NOT be able to help you with tires, tire mounting, or oil changes. *I thank you all for your business in the past and most importantly the trust you have placed in Paul and me, and would like to continue to help y'all with your motorcycle service/repair needs. *Thanks again.

On a personal note: *Paul is undergoing chemo, then he will be moved into a period of chemo-plus-radiation treatment, then he will undergo surgery after that. *If all goes well, after his surgery he will be cancer-free. *He is in good spirits but understandably is feeling the effects of the disease and its treatment. *Paul and his family greatly appreciate all your well-wishes and prayers, but cannot respond individually. *Those of you who know Paul know that he is a great guy but also guards his and his family's privacy. *Please respect that. *I will be forwarding your email addresses to Paul's wife who will periodically send out updates on his status. *Thanks yet again.
Greg Swantek

Wow, I had no idea about this. Many Prayers to Paul and his family.

Greg thank you for the update and best of luck for yourself and most especially for Paul. He's a great guy, lot of us pullin for him.
Let us all know where you land!

John B

This kills me. I'm not a praying person, but Paul and his family are very much in my thoughts.

Thanks for the post Tom. If you get a chance tell Greg thanks so much for the update.

Paul Zabor

Anyone hear of updates on Paul Zabor's condition? He was always rough to interface with, but ALWAYS respected him as the best mechanic in Austin with the highest level of integrity.

Hope he pulls through.

(thanks for moving this for me)

Paul knows engine theory (a science somehow neglected by most "mechanics") and is one of the few folks I trust with my machine work, Gerald Jessup being the other. I am really pulling for him to get through treatment, be well, and enjoy life.

Skiphunt, working behind the counter at a motorcycle shop takes LOTS of patience (I learned that at Action Yamaha). You have to listen to a thousand stories of how somebody's uncle used to race for Team Honda, etc. So I understood when Paul was short of time and patience, and I got to the point, bought my products, and got out of his hair. And then there were times when we talked engine theory, and I thoroughly enjoy talking theory with him. He is a great guy, no reservations about it.

Greg, best of luck to you and your business. We'll have to get to know each other.
Steve Ligon

Last edited:
I really liked Paul's no BS approach and since I had no ego with him, I think he respected me. When I got back on bikes in 2006 I bought a KLR and brought it in for some work, and in true Paul form he said it didn't do anything well but did everything OK. (He may have used more colorful language.)

I would like an update as well if possible.

July 6 and 10, 2014 Update

July 6th

Hello to All. I sincerely apologize for my tardiness in sending an update on "THE PAUL" ;) Our son Bobby, just sent out his latest prayer request (below) and was so thorough, I thought I'd borrow some of his text. So for some of you, if it looks familiar, it is! We are about to embark on PHASE 3, which will hopefully be the last phase of this battle, other than follow up appointments.

Phase 1 (5 rounds of chemo over 8 weeks) - completed in February and March. The result of the PET scan after the treatment was that the tumor had shrunk by roughly half the size, an incredible miracle.

Phase 2 (5 straight weeks of daily chemo and radiation) - dominated. Lori and I were actually able to travel to Houston for the final week of treatment in mid May. It was a great blessing to be able to hang out with my dad and take his mind off of all the pain while flying through seasons of Sons of Anarchy. It was so good to be there when he rang the bell at MDA after the last treatment!

Since then he's been resting, taking care of things at the ranch and getting mentally prepared for Phase 3. All in all, he seems ready to move forward and get any remaining cancer cells OUT.

Phase 3 (surgery to remove part of his esophagus and all of his stomach) - A total gastrectomy is scheduled for Tuesday morning, July 8. The surgery will last most of the day and then he'll have to remain in the hospital over night for 2 weeks. The results from the chemo and radiation show that most (if not all) of the cancer has been destroyed, and the hope is that the surgery will put an end to it for good.

Obviously it's going to be a TOUGH, long road following the surgery, and life won't be quite the same. But if anyone is up for he challenge, it's my dad. He also has the world's best cheerleader/nurse/wife by his side and great family and friends ready to fight along side.

Please pray for strength for Paul and Gwenda during the days, weeks and months ahead. Please pray for Dr. Mansfield and all of the staff at MDA for a successful operation on Tuesday. Please pray for the complete eradication and final dominance of the cancer from my dad. Please pray for as smooth and comfortable of a recovery as possible.

You guys are the best!
Yes, yes you "TEAM ZABOR" are the best!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 10th

Hello Team Zabor, Phase 3, total gastrectomy is complete, now for the lengthy recovery and new way of life, a new cancer free life!!!!

My mind says it's much later than 11:45pm, but that's because the last 2 nights are a blur. I'm hoping to get 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep which unfortunately will not be the case for Paul. But each knock at the hospital door is welcomed since they are taking such good care of "THE PAUL". I'll try to be brief, but informative.

Tuesday 7/8/14: 5:00am arrival, 8:00am to 3pm surgery. I was finally taken to recovery to see Paul at 4:30pm. Thankfully, during surgery a nurse would bring me updates every 2 hours. And the waiting was made easier with 2 of my closest friends Shirley Renfro and Jackie Bistline there to chat and laugh with. Paul was in MDA's extended care unit throughout the night and was moved to a regular room Wednesday morning.

Wednesday 7/9/14: Pain is obvious, but they are doing a really good job of pain management with an occasional need to give a booster of "the good stuff". Thankfully, for all involved, Paul's medications DO NOT make him drool, babble, speak in tongues or have his head spinning. Not sure if it's because we are control freaks, but we both HATE those heavy "crazy-head" drugs!!
Paul, sat up, stood up and walked a good amount 3 times on Wednesday with staff (and me) close by. Followed all doctors orders (breathing exercises and treatments).
Score A+

Thursday 7/10/14: Pain still present and will continue for several days, but will get better as time passes. Paul had an even better day regarding mobility. Paul had 4 long unassisted walks, I tagged along but he didn't need me. Just Paul and his wheeled cart carrying multiple pumps with tubes connected to Paul. Paul was really happy to have the nasal gastric tube removed at noon today, this had been causing lots of throat pain which subsided almost immediately.

Still nothing by mouth, not even ice chips (I cannot imagine this), but this is necessary to allow time for the resection of small intestine to esophagus to heal and tolerate liquid and food. All in all Paul is alert, sharp and in good spirits.....however he did mention this afternoon that he is bored!! The man who never sits for long, always busy....OF COURSE he's already bored. We grab a snooze when possible, watch old movies, read and have played a game of War (he won!). A rematch MUST take place, I don't like to lose.
Score of A+ again today!!!

Please know how blessed we feel to have all of you in our corner. Your prayers and well wishes touch our hearts more than you can imagine.....THANK YOU ALL <3

Paul & Gwenda Zabor

I can't even comprehend a total gastrectomy. My troubles seem so trivial. Thanks so much for the update Tom.

Paul needs a toy for entertainment. I'm sure the nurses wouldn't mind.:mrgreen:

g9729-8dfecae96e1f16c43b1f000e759050f8.jpg

I can't even comprehend a total gastrectomy. My troubles seem so trivial. Thanks so much for the update Tom.

My sentiments exactly!! :brainsnap :zen:

It is good to hear that he is doing well and in good spirits.

Nothing new. I talked with another mechanic a while back and he said that Paul had stopped by to chew the fat. Said it was obvious that he missed being in the shop.

I think the fact that he was still walking and talking is a good sign...

Thanks TJ for the update. I am glad it appears he is on the road to a full recovery.

RB

Does anybody have an update on this? I've heard very conflicting info.

Id like another update too. I think about this every time I drive down Burnet Rd.

I've heard from a different source that Paul had passed. :(. This is not confirmed.

Back