• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 LoneStar Enduro March 4th/5th Kalgary, TX

Johnf3

Reaction score
I am starting this thread to invite everyone out to the annual 2017 Lonestar Enduro on March 4th and 5th. The first day will be run with a Sprint Enduro format and the second day will be a restart format. The trail is different for each day's events. The two races are separate events so you can sign up for both, or one or the other. For those not chasing points and only able to ride one day, Sunday will be the best option.

Sunday's race will also pay RMEC and Blackjack points, so we should have a great turnout.

We (LTR) have been hard at work getting everything ready. The trails are shaping up and some new sections have been added in.

We would love to see some TWT folks come out to the South Plains of Texas, especially those who have not been out here before.

TSCEC has a Facebook page and also a traditional website at tscec.org. More information will be posted at these sites as the date gets closer. In the meantime, I will be happy to try and answer any questions right here.

Last edited:
Re: 2017 LoneStar Enduro March 3rd/4th Kalgary, TX

If you have not ridden this terrain or LTR you owe it to yourself to make the trip. It's truly a great place to ride and you won't find a better group of folks putting on an event. They have had plenty of practice putting on races. Decades in the TSCEC and numerous national enduro. Top notch for sure.

Last time out I took my wife and rode as her personal sweep rider. Still had a blast. I hope to race this year if I can.

Last edited:

If you have not ridden this terrain or LTR you owe it to yourself to make the trip. It's truly a great place to ride and you won't find a better group of folks putting on an event. They have had plenty of practice putting on races. Decades in the TSCEC and numerous national enduro. Top notch for sure.

Couldn't have said it better myself! The LTR guys know exactly where that fine line is between wonderfully challenging trails and going fast down them. The property has such diversity that they can make each test section a different kind of terrain. It'll test your skills and make you a better rider. I look forward to this event... again. :rider:

What is the name of the nearest town, sttlement, or Indian village?

Post... maybe Slaton. Heck, Lubbock ain't all that far. One guy accidentally made his motel res in Snyder last time. He parked his bike with me that night and went ahead and stayed there. According to him, that was too doggone far.

What is the name of the nearest town, sttlement, or Indian village?

Ha. Considering our current riding area was among the prime haunts of Quanah Parker and the Comanches, the reference to Indian villages is fitting. Post, TX would be the easiest logistically. One turn onto 651 and 20 miles give or take. That direction has the least amount (and best quality) of dirt roads too.

Like RG said Lubbock or Slaton would be an option too. Camp should be a lively place this time as well, as we will have many more riders coming since Sunday is a Rocky Mountain and Blackjack race too.

Also I got the dates wrong in the title. The correct dates are March 4th and 5th. I will see if an Admin can fix for me.

Last edited:
Going to try to make this...anyone want to ride from Dallas, room for 2 bikes in the trailer.

Last edited:
Maybe I can get out there too. Sure looks like it will be a fun time!

This event looks very tempting. I hope I can make it out there. If I can't get outta work that Friday I might just end up doing TORCS in Willis.

Lubbock Trail Riders is a fantastic club with a history of putting on quality events. I was a member and served as officer for 20 or so years. Got to old, but still remember the great riding back on this lease. It is remote, but great riding and very pretty in it's own right.:clap:

All the above!!! If you can't have a great day at the LTR property you need to take up another sport. My drive from the Beaumont area is normally 10-11 hours and worth every minute. With the higher speed limits travel time will be reduced. Just do it!

Steady rain all day today. Yesterday the trails were powdery dry and slippery. If it stays cool and not too windy the amount of moisture we are getting could stick around enough to make conditions better for race weekend. Hoping for some more moisture a bit closer to race weekend.

Otherwise everything is looking good and we are looking forward to hosting everyone and having a great event.

So did they catch any more rain as this latest system passed thru? Seems like it would take quite a bit for there to be much moisture remaining by event time.

So did they catch any more rain as this latest system passed thru? Seems like it would take quite a bit for there to be much moisture remaining by event time.

I won't get out to the property until this weekend, but it rained all day Monday and we should have caught a bunch of that. There is an 80% chance of rain this coming Sunday too. I am not trying to brag but in the worst dry conditions this will still be a ton of fun. If there is moisture, then it will be epic!

A good soak will stay around for two weeks at least depending on wind and temperatures. We have sandy soil with a harder base and when a couple hundred bikes go through if there is moisture below the top layer, it comes up and keeps the trail from becoming dry/slick.

Especially on the long course, there are several sections of dry, sandy creek beds. My particular section that I am helping work, about 18 miles for A/B riders only, you will be in and out of washes (sandy/rocky), going up and down on trail that is cut in right in the Caprock formation, and weaving through the mesquite and juniper for a break every now and then. We even have a cool dry waterfall section that we hacked out and made passable for your riding pleasure (Moose Drool Drop). It's a hoot!

Sounds like it will be a great race. Sure hope I can get out there to have me some of that "riding pleasure"!

I think Justin and I will try and make this one. Appears the motels in Post are filling up, probably should start trying to call and make a reservation. If nothing rips, ravels or tears we will be there Saturday and ride Sunday. Hope to see Phil and Donny there and meet Johnf3.

I think Justin and I will try and make this one. Appears the motels in Post are filling up, probably should start trying to call and make a reservation. If nothing rips, ravels or tears we will be there Saturday and ride Sunday. Hope to see Phil and Donny there and meet Johnf3.

Looking forward to seeing the few Two Wheel Texans I have actually ridden with and meeting some new folks too. The Sunday race will be a pretty complete tour of the property!

Some questions...

1) Is there camping at the track?
2) Are there food options near the track?
3) Pre-register or just show up & sign up?

Thanks,

OK I just read the flyer...

Some questions...

1) Is there camping at the track?
2) Are there food options near the track?
3) Pre-register or just show up & sign up?

Thanks,

OK I just read the flyer...

The food truck that will be at camp is a good option. Other than that, Post has several mom and pop restaurants and some National Fast Food chains--McD, DQ, Subway.

Signing up electronically (pre-enter) is cheaper, quicker and less hassle. If you have other sign up questions, call or email the contact persons that are listed on the flyer. They can get you set up.

We will have 3 generations in this one, JQ1, myself, and Jacob. If anybody sees Jacob for the next 6 months or so, expect to hear about how fast he was!

We will have 3 generations in this one, JQ1, myself, and Jacob. If anybody sees Jacob for the next 6 months or so, expect to hear about how fast he was!

I think possibly I crossed paths with you in Big Bend State Park five years ago or so. I was on a blue 950 and I think I saw you and your dad around the turn off for Guale Overlook.

Glad you guys are able to come out.

If anyone was wanting to know what the differences are between the two race formats we are putting on here is a quick summary:

The Saturday Sprint Enduro consists of two different loops--one enduro-type loop through the trees with tight turns, and one loop that is more open like a GP style course. There are different variations but you are racing against the clock the whole loop. You do not have to leave on a certain row or time. When you are ready you roll up to the check in and go. Depending on the class you are riding, the number of laps on each loop varies. Riders go one at time, not in rows.

The restart Enduro on Sunday is a traditional Enduro without having to worry about time keeping--no worries about checking in too early and burning a check. You just show up and go when you are told! You will leave out on rows together (four to a row usually). You will have test sections and transfer sections between each test. When you get to the check in of a test section, if you are early, you are held until your minute (your row) is due to go (one row each minute starting with row 1).

You are still racing against the clock, but in a Restart the trail is all different (at least it is for our race) so you will get to see more of the entire property.

Also note that the trail used Saturday will be different that what is used Sunday. So if you do ride both days, at least it will be on different trail both days.

This is just a quick post to quickly show the main differences between a Sprint and a Restart. The Sprint format has only been around a couple of years and not everyone has ridden one yet.

Last edited:
Back