• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 MexTrek, Oct 15 - 18th, Galeana, Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching the thread for sure. I wish I could make the trek down with yall, but I don't have enough vacation available for this and a few other trips I have planned. There is likely to be another trip next year right?

This was an annual event for 3 or 4 years, until the border situation deteriorated. I hope to resurrect it as an annual , or even semi annual event. Hopefully Richard will get his degree and new career all in line to begin leading these himself in the near future.

My last week in Mexico was amazing. I'll post a few pics soon.

Many more affluent mexicans I spoke with, many of whom have lived for some period (legally), are resuming shopping trips to the US. As an example, the proprietor of a hostel where we spent a couple of nights will be visiting my son in San Marcos, Texas when he brings $10k USD in cash to the outlet mall to restock his extended family with clothing and fashion. His border concerns are minimal compared to prior years.

Actually that was a Versys on the beach ride and with street tires also. Even more amazing.

_

I rode the same route, Port Arthur to High Island, in 2008 on my 02' Busa. It was a lot more strenuous than I was expecting, and slick as snot in many places, but barely doable on DOT race tires. But, I'm the same "idiot" that took a CBR1000RR down Old Maverick Road in BBNP, haha.

That said, there isn't much I've seen in Mexico, class 1 and 2, that can't be tackled on street tires on a smaller bike, or 50/50 tires on a full size bike. I see 2 wheel drive pickups and front wheel drive minivans making deliveries on most of the roads we ride. It's just that knobbies and a lighter weight bike make it much more fun. Half the fun is being able to wander off at will and explore.

Where and or when do we register? How will we be setting up hotel rooms, is it being done by individuals or putting money up and a set up for others?

Registration is via the spreadsheet. Philip is handling. I just quit my career and 9 - 5 job and am officially "FunEmployed" for the time being, so I should be able to nail down much, very soon.

I spoke with my fluent traveler brother about the Galeana Mextrek trip when I was in Guanajuato last week. He should have contacted the hotels by now. I will check with him in the morning and see what he learned. Anyone travelling in Mexico during that week will likely be headed to Guanajuato for Cervantino festival, it draws 500,000 or so. Galeana should be wide open. But, I'll know for sure tomorrow.

P

Last edited:
Someone planning to cross the border by The fri 16th?

I can't cross the Thu 15th... Busy at plant with the turn-around... But able to meet someone by the 15th late evening at McAllen and cross very early fri 16th...

Someone else ruining late too?

Someone planning to cross the border by The fri 16th?

I can't cross the Thu 15th... Busy at plant with the turn-around... But able to meet someone by the 15th late evening at McAllen and cross very early fri 16th...

Someone else ruining late too?

I'll repost this in the first post to see if anyone else is running late.

FYI, I plan to stay a few extra days on the tail end if you want to extend your trip a bit. I'll be heading a bit further south, Real de Catorce, I think.

Thanking about the trip to the border, Looking to shear the trip with some one.
I have a trailer that can carry 3 bikes and some equipment.
I'm in Denton, lets split the cost

I'll repost this in the first post to see if anyone else is running late.

FYI, I plan to stay a few extra days on the tail end if you want to extend your trip a bit. I'll be heading a bit further south, Real de Catorce, I think.

We got same idea in mind, but how many extra days and only real ?

We got same idea in mind, but how many extra days and only real ?

Unsure, but probably shooting to be back across the border Wednesday night, and back in Houston by midnight or so.

As far as destinations, Real is about 3 hours southwest. So we could easily be there by Sunday afternoon, taking a known route on the south side like General Zaragoza.

Unsure, but probably shooting to be back across the border Wednesday night, and back in Houston by midnight or so.

As far as destinations, Real is about 3 hours southwest. So we could easily be there by Sunday afternoon, taking a known route on the south side like General Zaragoza.

I forgot I can't do more than 3 nights, I'm building a new home, was thinking of sat, head to galeana via Santiago via Laguna de Sanchez via cienega del toro via Cerro potosi, Friday head to camarones via iturbide counter clockwise and back to galeana, sat head to real via Zaragoza and aramberri and dr arroyo, sun head back home

I forgot I can't do more than 3 nights, I'm building a new home, was thinking of thu, head to galeana via Santiago via Laguna de Sanchez via cienega del toro via Cerro potosi, Friday head to camarones via iturbide counter clockwise and back to galeana, sat head to real via Zaragoza and aramberri and dr arroyo, sun head back home

Note for Google mappers, just put N.L behind each city name to find in Mexico. N.L. is the state, Nuevo Leon.

My thoughts:

Thursday: The planned group ride down on Thursday will take us from Reynosa, to China, to Montemorelos on highway. Up into the mountains on concrete to Rayones (not Reynosa, LOL) . Hoping, for safety and good spirits, to stay together to Rayones which is 50 km or so up into the mountains and beyond most of civilization. From Rayones we will split. Adventurous riders will split off North to cienega del toro, and down past Cerro Potosi (90 KM not including Cerro Potosi). Less adventurous, tired, or on less capable machines will likely just shoot from Reyones to Galeana (30 KM of easy class 1).

Kayak, I have never been to Santiago, Laguna De Sanchez, or the waterfalls to the north. It doesn't really add that many miles to do your route, but it rules out riding as a group to Rayones if the more adventurous group were to follow you north from Montemorelos to Santiago. We'd have to split into two groups at the turn off to Rayones.

Friday: Camarones / Iturbide is a great route, diverse, and very doable in a day.

Saturday: Combining Zaragosa and Real is not doable, in my estimation, unless your goal is to haul the mail all day and never stop, not even for a nanosecond. I've done Zaragosa and the falls and some offroad and it takes a full long day just for that ride. Adding in a southern route out of Zaragosa thru La Bolsa and Dr. Arroyo, then over to Real de Catorce, and back up highway stacks 645 KM, 12 hrs, into one day. Hardly a minute free to sightsee, and a nightmare if someone has a mechanical. Most people hitting up Real and Mextrek take a full week, I think. Riding pavement to Real and back is a full day, if you want to experience Real.

Sunday: The ride back is a great opportunity to ride some of the easier northern routes. Galeana to Reynosa, direct, is only 5 hrs and 188 miles on concrete.

More experienced Mexico travelers wanna chime in?

Thinking about hotel reservations made me think of Galeana....

The one at straight ahead at 5 seconds is the Hotel Magdelena.

Hotel Magdalena: telephone 826-213-0106 (if dialing from the USA dial 011 52 826 213 0106)

The one on the far end of the row, at the 13 second mark, is the Hotel Jardin:

Hotel Jardin: telephone 826-213-0420 (if dialing from the USA dial 011 52 826 213 0420)

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbnTiyeJB1Q"]Mextrek2009 Galeana Town Square - YouTube[/ame]

Time to pick this up again.

1st point of order; due to extenuating circumstances (namely work & a rare visit from an old friend in ailing health) I will not be able to join this little jaunt. October is often a stretch for me so you old farts go on & have a great time and send pics so I can be consumed by jealousy.

That being said, I will still be the planner & coordinator behind this escapade, not unlike the ladies in Charlie Boorman's office (same bad accent, same bad teeth). There are currently...

EDITED: SEE FIRST POST FOR NAMES ON LIST AND DATE OF LAST UPDATE

In posts to follow I will be putting out some GPS routes both to Galeana and around the area. I would suggest everyone who has not already got a copy of the MexTrek guide (remember the purveyor of this fine tome is the reason we're all enjoying the mountains of Mexico) do so by ordering here -

http://www.texasadventure.net/cool-stuff/ride-guides/

For those yet to venture South of the Border, you will need to own a valid Passport, secure Insurance, a TVIP (Temporary Importation Card) and a Tourist Card. Luckily fellow TWT'r and Mexico old hand TricePilot has done the hard work for me (again). His excellent treatise on the subject can be found here -

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/is-mexico-safe.546927/#post-12049000

I strongly recommend securing said paperwork at the border THE EVENING BEFORE you plan to cross with the bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's still the border towns especially from Reynosa to matamoros to Santander Jimenez to San Fernando that has the worst rap, but we should be ok, riding via anzalduas bridge to China and we have safety in numbers, it's just the nature of the game but that's what we seek otherwise where would there be the mex adv in this, but locals here on both sides are being terrorized. Still, let's ride...

Bingo. The locals experience a very different risk profile than Gringo riders passing through. I'm more concerned with knowing where recent road "activity"
has been than anything else for a trip like this. The planned route for this ride is one of the two I take through that area.

Yes, you are required to present the original title to Mexican Customs at the border in order to receive the temporary import permit for your motorcycle. You will also need a valid passport.

I carry a current registration form, original or official copy, and leave my title at home. If your registration form is not current they WILL catch it.

My thoughts:

Thursday: The planned group ride down on Thursday will take us from Reynosa, to China, to Montemorelos on highway. Up into the mountains on concrete to Rayones (not Reynosa, LOL) . Hoping, for safety and good spirits, to stay together to Rayones which is 50 km or so up into the mountains and beyond most of civilization. From Rayones we will split. Adventurous riders will split off North to cienega del toro, and down past Cerro Potosi (90 KM not including Cerro Potosi). Less adventurous, tired, or on less capable machines will likely just shoot from Reyones to Galeana (30 KM of easy class 1).

Kayak, I have never been to Santiago, Laguna De Sanchez, or the waterfalls to the north. It doesn't really add that many miles to do your route, but it rules out riding as a group to Rayones if the more adventurous group were to follow you north from Montemorelos to Santiago. We'd have to split into two groups at the turn off to Rayones.

Friday: Camarones / Iturbide is a great route, diverse, and very doable in a day.

Saturday: Combining Zaragosa and Real is not doable, in my estimation, unless your goal is to haul the mail all day and never stop, not even for a nanosecond. I've done Zaragosa and the falls and some offroad and it takes a full long day just for that ride. Adding in a southern route out of Zaragosa thru La Bolsa and Dr. Arroyo, then over to Real de Catorce, and back up highway stacks 645 KM, 12 hrs, into one day. Hardly a minute free to sightsee, and a nightmare if someone has a mechanical. Most people hitting up Real and Mextrek take a full week, I think. Riding pavement to Real and back is a full day, if you want to experience Real.

Sunday: The ride back is a great opportunity to ride some of the easier northern routes. Galeana to Reynosa, direct, is only 5 hrs and 188 miles on concrete.

More experienced Mexico travelers wanna chime in?

This is a really good plan. I would recommend Top of the World for the more dirt orientated bikes.

Really Excited. Thank you for all the hard planning work!

I have never been to Santiago, Laguna De Sanchez, or the waterfalls to the north. It doesn't really add that many miles to do your route, but it rules out riding as a group to Rayones if the more adventurous group were to follow you north from Montemorelos to Santiago. We'd have to split into two groups at the turn off to Rayones.

Cola de Caballo. Worth the effort to find as is checking out the town of Santiago.

i-G6PhTbn-L.jpg

i-pRXQwZ9-L.jpg

i-sHdHQMD-L.jpg

i-LTTJSHw-L.jpg

i-wF8XGFC-L.jpg

i-5Phc9MN-L.jpg

Sure to put a smile on your face

i-DdJBQKG-L.jpg

I did not see my name, so I filled out the form again.
Please let me know if something was been missed.
Looking forward to this trip.
Thank you too all that is putting this together
If I can help let me know.

I did not see my name, so I filled out the form again.
Please let me know if something was been missed.
Looking forward to this trip.
Thank you too all that is putting this together
If I can help let me know.

GBC and Andre and Foxrider added. Now at 18 riders, 14 rooms needed.

I just got my '97 XR400 plated, legal and in my name. Waiting to get the title in the mail. I MAY ride that. Taking it out this weekend to abuse/test it out- and hopefully a lot more weekends between now and Mexico.

Otherwise, my KLR is my very trusty back up.

Finally figured out a way to close my tailgate with the bike in my truck.
Mexico here I come......

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1440163931534.jpg
    FB_IMG_1440163931534.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 182
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back