• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2015 MexTrek, Oct 15 - 18th, Galeana, Mexico

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, that is not your camo green machine

I just got my '97 XR400 plated, legal and in my name. Waiting to get the title in the mail. I MAY ride that. Taking it out this weekend to abuse/test it out- and hopefully a lot more weekends between now and Mexico.

Otherwise, my KLR is my very trusty back up.
. the KLR lightweight -carrying only the essentials with 50/50 tires (on dry roads), will suffice on most of the off-road, there's a class 3-4 trail north of Santa Inez that would be difficult unless you are GOOD, then don't worry, the killer can manage. And she will pamper you on the long boring stretch between the border to the mountains.

GBC and Andre and Foxrider added. Now at 18 riders, 14 rooms needed.
Hey, you guys aren't leaving me behind, no way, that's 19 riders, 15 rooms (about all those rooms needed-if nothing else is going on in town those days then we'll have enough but if we get some rooms taken from us then I would suggest we double up once we are there, even one room has 3 beds, and that's only if we need too, and it cuts the lodging expense in half to $10 / night.

This is a really good plan. I would recommend Top of the World for the more dirt orientated bikes.
even for all the other bikes, they can manage with keep in mind that the 2-2 1/2 round trip trail is very very very bumpy and that's still an understatement, did I mention it's bumpy. The BIG bikes can still make the 12,221 ft journey but slooooowwww and with 3/4 of the day in mind. And even then, it is **** worth it. To tell you that my final rest in peace wish I've told my family is to lay my ashes atop that Cerro potosi peak, and on a clear day please.

Saturday: Combining Zaragosa and Real is not doable, in my estimation, unless your goal is to haul the mail all day and never stop, not even for a nanosecond. I've done Zaragosa and the falls and some offroad and it takes a full long day just for that ride. Adding in a southern route out of Zaragosa thru La Bolsa and Dr. Arroyo, then over to Real de Catorce, and back up highway stacks 645 KM, 12 hrs, into one day. Hardly a minute free to sightsee, and a nightmare if someone has a mechanical. Most people hitting up Real and Mextrek take a full week, I think. Riding pavement to Real and back is a full day, if you want to experience Real.

More experienced Mexico travelers wanna chime in?

I was thinking to ride into real sat late afternoon or earlier, to enjoy real and not rush the 2-3 hrs back to galeana, then sunday morning ride out back home, does that sound better ?? any takers ??

My plans are not set in stone, and it's likely I'll be in for the more rough roads little extra exploring added at the end.
-Steve

Pete,
I thought I was in the list, can you please add me.
Subcomm on a DR 650

And even then, it is **** worth it. To tell you that my final rest in peace wish I've told my family is to lay my ashes atop that Cerro potosi peak, and on a clear day please.

KLR or XR, this sounds like a ride I need to do.

Every time my email dings with an update to this thread it puts a smile on my face.

Thanking about the trip to the border, Looking to shear the trip with some one.
I have a trailer that can carry 3 bikes and some equipment.
I'm in Denton, lets split the cost

I'm coming from San Angelo. Any chance we could meet up in San Antonio?

I will be riding from midland tx, if any one wants to meet along the way. My departure schedule is flexable.

Pete,
I thought I was in the list, can you please add me.
Subcomm on a DR 650

I added you, with what little info I had in my feeble brain. Mark W, aka Subcomm, with $2,000 for hookers and blow, LOL. If you want to click the link and put in a bit more info, here it is again, just make a new entry.

http://goo.gl/forms/ghmL6pGFBF

Last edited:
If you are thinking about the history of the region, why not take in Bogart's 1948 movie, filmed in the Sierra Madre region, and Tampico maybe. It's actually quite good. Here is a teaser:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OcM23Hbs5U"]The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (6/10) Movie CLIP - No Stinking Badges (1948) HD - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
One item I've had my eye on for a couple of years, since the last Mextrek actually, was a rotopax 1 gallon extra fuel container. Finally got around to researching, and while not cheap, an extra gallon;

http://rotopax.com/1-Gallon-Packs/

securely mounted;

http://rotopax.com/Mounting-Hardware/

for around $100 seems like a deal compared to an oversize gas tank. The newer rotopax also have one of the spill proof spouts that hides in the can till you reverse it to pour. Nice touch, Mr. EPA.

Last edited:
Very much looking forward to this trip! I'll be coming down on a KLR from Fort Worth on Tuesday, with an overnight in the hill country (TBD where). Can easily meet up with people coming from DFW or the Austin area and ride to McAllen if anyone is interested.

I signed up 4 months ago and again last week. but there's a conspiracy against me that I will bring to light. someone will be made accountable. this will not stay unchallenged. or I'll just have to crash your party baby, boo yahhh....

I signed up 4 months ago and again last week. but there's a conspiracy against me that I will bring to light. someone will be made accountable. this will not stay unchallenged. or I'll just have to crash your party baby, boo yahhh....

Dirt Bike Rider Lives Matter

:miffed:

Eze, We show you signed up on 8/21. The conspiracy has your details.

P

You are our only chance at Espanol - without you, no party to crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back