• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek: May 27-30, 2010, Galeana, Mexico

"There is an increase in Mexican drug cartel related violence in the northern Mexican border cities. Parents should not allow their children to visit these Mexican cities because their safety cannot be guaranteed," said DPS director Steven C. McCraw.

Versus say a trip to Colorado, where my safety is guaranteed?

Pic from the warzone.

http://i38.tinypic.com/24d4yo2.jpg

Mexico motorcycle insurance - don't leave home without it
Do you have a company you recommend?

It would be interesting if we could find a company that would give a TWT discount since it sounds like there are a number of folks who go down there often.

Do you have a company you recommend?

It would be interesting if we could find a company that would give a TWT discount since it sounds like there are a number of folks who go down there often.

I always use these guys

I bought a yearly policy for the BMW and a yearly policy for the KLR

However, plug in your bike's value and try different paradigms, to see what your pricing might be. A three month policy is usually always cheaper than just covering your bike for MexTrek alone. If you don't go back and forth to Mexico all the time, there's no point in getting a yearly policy (unless it's really cheaper). Beware some people recommend "drivers license policies", when in fact not all companies underwrite these types of policies for motorcycles but won't tell you - it's in the small print. If you shop for this type of policy, get it in writing that such a policy covers motorcycles.

Also, some people think their U.S. based auto policy covers them in Mexico. Fair warning - this is often misunderstood and if it exists, only covers you in the border zone and then there may be exclusions and limitations which may make you think about getting a full-up Mexico insurance policy.

Mexico insurance policies are worth their weight in gold. I can tell you war stories about this....two instances where the policy holder was very thankful to have the coverage. It seems like a useless expense, until you need it.

That's not too bad for basic coverage.

mexico_insurance_rate.jpg

Check out the bennies that come with a 31 dollar policy - that column on the right.

Can you afford NOT to pay 31 bucks for that type of peace of mind?

I don't think so.

Good job scoring that coverage :sun:

OK, I made my reservations at the Motel 6 in McAllen for Wednesday night 26 May (2 double beds). I've orderded a new set of Trailwings -TW18/TW21 and spare tubes for my KLR. Haven't made reservations in Galeana yet. Don't "habla espanol" that well so I'll have a co-worker call when I'm sure I'm going. Plan on trucking/vanning down to McAllen from San Antonio on Wednesday, 26 May, riding with the group on Thursday to Galeana and heading back to McAllen on Sunday. Probably head back to San Antonio either late Sunday or early Monday.

Anyone from San Antone want to double up for the trip down/back to McAllen?

-email or call;

(210) 521-1580
bpayne13@aol.com

Maybe this has been answered somewhere else, but if so I didn't see it.
If you take a truck with a bike in the bed all the way to Galeana, then I assume you need separate paperwork for truck and bike. And supposing you trailer a bike, then do you need paperwork for the trailer also?

If you take a truck with a bike in the bed all the way to Galeana, then I assume you need separate paperwork for truck and bike. And supposing you trailer a bike, then do you need paperwork for the trailer also?

Here is the lowdown:

"You may tow with your vehicle, one to three motorcycles, beach cars or dune buggies, or four-wheel motorcycles or ATVs, equivalent to the number of people traveling inside the vehicle. You must be able to provide proof of ownership for the vehicles being transported and they must be returned along with the towing or transporting vehicle"

You'll need the title or registration for the truck
You'll need the title or registration for the bike
You'll receive one TVIP which will reflect both
You'll need to clear both the truck and the bike at the same time when exiting Mexico since both motor vehicles will be on the same TVIP

Ran into a guy in Lowe's today, he did the Baja 1000

He ran into a snafu and didn't clear one of the bikes he brought into Mexico, now he is "locked out" of the Banjercito system until he fixes his situation

PS Your trailer isn't a motor vehicle and doesn't have a VIN

Sadly, will miss it like I missed Uncle's. You guys have fun. I'll be back next year after my sternum heals.....

Standard Routing to Galeana

Leave Reynosa, following signs for MX40 in the direction of Monterrey; prior to Monterrey, follow the route indicated to Montemorelos...

From there to Galeana you have two options:

Dirt: via Agua Dulce
Paved: via Linares

You can't go wrong either way

805685094_m8GPb-L.jpg

687602380_uarPg-L.jpg

I was thinking about going to the local consulate here in Austin so I called to find out what I needed to bring with me. (1-877-210-9469)
The gentleman didn't speak the best English but here is what he told me I needed to bring. I wanted to confirm that other folks have done the same.
  • Title
  • Passport (ID)
  • Drivers License

He also said I needed to arrive early, before 8:00 AM but did not need an appointment and that it would cost about $40.00.

I've always obtained my Temporary Vehicle Import Permit locally here in Austin and had no problems or delays. I usually go on my lunch hour and have never waited for more than 2 customers ahead of me. My longest wait was probably 45 minutes. I wouldn't worry about the time of day as much as the weather. The consulate and bank get OVERRUN on rainy days when day laborers are not working and taking care of their administrative chores instead. Do NOT go on rainy days. I have been there for work on days like today and you would not believe how many people are there....

I'm sure you know this but the permit is obtained from Banjercito not the consulate although Banjercito is located in the same building as the consulate. The Banjercito reps have always spoken VERY good english (certainly much better than my lame Spanish) so I am guessing perhaps you spoke to a consulate rep?

I'd encourage you to go visit even though you can do it online. If you love Mexico like I do it's kind of cool to get a little 'taste' of Mexico right here at home....

Re: Standard Routing to Galeana

Leave Reynosa, following signs for MX40 in the direction of Monterrey; prior to Monterrey, follow the route indicated to Montemorelos...

From there to Galeana you have two options:

Dirt: via Agua Dulce
Paved: via Linares

You can't go wrong either way

805685094_m8GPb-L.jpg

687602380_uarPg-L.jpg

Thank you Sir! I think I'm going to be a nervous wreck before I get through all this trip planning.

FYI: Late May/Early June is the end of the dry season. It can be amazingly hot in the desert flats between the border and the eastern Sierra Madre Orientals that time of year (110+). Might want to watch the weather and plan accordingly for the low altitude part of the ride.

Ought to be glorious up in the mountains though.... :)

Summer rains usually start in mid-June and it cools off a bit. (If it rains).

Mexican Consulate in Austin, TX - Corrected info

Tried going to the consulate in Austin today. Learned that the correct address is below. Not the one listed on 6th street.
They obviously get a lot of people in there asking because they immediately gave me directions to where it was.

Also, the hours of operation is from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM and not until 5:00 PM so I actually have to go back since they were closed. Typical gov't info that is not up to date. :argh:

Consulado General De Mexico
800 Brazos Street
Austin, TX 78701-2538
(512) 478-2866
Hours Mon to Friday 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM

Link to Google Map
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&s...xico austin tx&aql=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

:tab Maybe I will have better luck making this event now that it is in May instead of October... :ponder: The last three attempts have been thwarted by bad luck :doh: Now I just have to finish getting the deer induced damage to the KLR fixed.

What's involved in getting the border crossing paperwork completed before the Thursday group ride date? Is that something I can do prior to arriving in McAllen? I live in San Antonio.

Bill Payne
2008 KLR-650

Prayer & determination helps..:mrgreen:

Mexican Consulate in Austin, TX - More info

So I went to get my TVIP (Temporary Vehicle Import Permit) at the Mexican Consulate in Austin, TX today over lunch and learned a few more things I thought I'd share.

1) Bring a photocopy as well as the original of your passport and motorcycle title. The will ask for a copy and they don't have one there you can use so you have to go across the street to UPS and for 2 copies, which costs 50 cents. :brainsnap

2) Even though it doesn't look like is shows up on the TVIP anywhere they asked where I would be crossing the border and what state I was going to and they entered that into the computer. The state threw me for a moment and it took a little conversation to remember it was "Nuevo Leon". :ponder:

Overall, the process was very quick and painless. They do charge you in Pesos, so that is the main reason why you have to have a credit card (VISA or MasterCard only). So I am expecting there will be an additional charge for the conversion to dollars.

One step closer to getting all the paperwork together. :flip:

Actually, the main reason you have to have a credit card is not because they charge in pesos...it is because you have to bond the motorcycle. Without valid plastic, you have to put up the proper amount of cash.

Other point is you can use either of your title or your registration.

Has anyone tried the Anzalduas International Bridge?
Are there facilities for permits and visas?
The news reports say it opened in December. It looks like it will be great if access roads are built on the Mexican side to bypass most of Reynosa.

JT

Great! I wonder if that access road really goes all the way to Highway 40, sure relieve traffic.

Random border question. I usually run a non-DOT MX tire on the front of my bike.

Any worries with returning to the US with not being 100% street legal? :shrug:

Back