• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Rundown - a Mexico Adventure Rally, April 9-16, 2016

Yes. There is a dual sport ride that goes west from Jalpan, past Escanalilla and Pinal de Amoles, to Carmargo and then loops north and east on dirt, eventually ending up back at Jalpan. We rode this particular route during the recon this past May. I have also planned a 300 mile pavement only loop that includes Hwy 120 west of Jalpan.

Why do you ask?

Great ! I just want to explore around that area, take some pictures etc. Everytime I tried to go through there in October I would get into the higher mountains & would get rained on & fog so thick you couldn't see 10 feet. The place had an awesome Alpine smell to it & I just did not get to see much of it. Got to find the spot I'm going to move to.

Great ! I just want to explore around that area, take some pictures etc. Everytime I tried to go through there in October I would get into the higher mountains & would get rained on & fog so thick you couldn't see 10 feet. The place had an awesome Alpine smell to it & I just did not get to see much of it. Got to find the spot I'm going to move to.

Where I'm talking about is East of Escanelilla and Pinal de Amoles. There are a few mountain top roads that go abt 30 miles East of 120

I suppose one of those pine needle pillows tucked inside your riding jacket won't cut it

Wouldn't be the same as being there. Goat roasting on a fire. Cold Victoria in my hand. & the sound of thumpers way off in the distance....

Goat roasting on a fire.

Cold Victoria in my hand.

The sound of thumpers way off in the distance....

The sound of the Eagle's Don Henley singing Hotel California came into my head when I arranged the above quote as lyrics

Last edited by a moderator:
you put the lime in the coconut...

?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1447344567375.jpg
    FB_IMG_1447344567375.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 242
Decisions, decisions. Trusty CRF230F or new to me XCR-W450?

But remembering the Big Bend rally I did on my CBR1000RR streetbike, I also have to ask myself, "how cool would Mexico be on an unlimited class streetbike?" Decisions, decisions. 1st world problem for sure. I knew there was at least one reason to finish my higher education...and still be dumb enough to consider a 180 MPH streetbike across Mexico.

Cah-mee-lo, We may have to talk....

Let me know when you're ready for THAT trip.

How do you find this stuff?

From the comments:

"I don't like them. They're taking away acapella jobs in America."

-Donald Trump
Yes, I about choked when I saw that comment. Too funny.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

The%20Wild%20Bunch%202015%20162-XL.jpg

This is my bike from this past spring's recon ride

You do NOT need a tricked out KTM 500 to do the dirt portions of Mexico around Jalpan.

But it makes it a lot more fun

If you don't have a dirt bike or a bike you'll take on the dirt, then I suggest a ring leader surface and make good use of the pavement between Zimapan and Texas.

Between now and the ride there will be a lot of opportunity to dial in your perfect Mexico vacation experience on a motorcycle.

Richard is organizing a rally into deep(er) Mexico. Do not be left out.

Oaxaca? That would be sweet.

Oaxaca

See the link

Yes, you do want to see Oaxaca

Plan on 10 days there, because it is Oaxaca, the city, Oaxaca, the state, and Oaxaca, the valley. There is more packed into that region of Mexico than the University of Mexico can invent classes for.

What size tank do you think is needed for the dirt / road ride?

What size tank do you think is needed for the dirt / road ride?

Jason,

I prefer to have a 200 mile range during my Mexico trips. During our recon we found gas pretty regularly so we ended up topping off about every 100 miles.

My suggestion is to have about a 200 mile range but there is no need to buy an aftermarket tank for this trip if you don't want to. Carrying a rotopax or fuel bottles or something similar will be fine.

For example, this set-up worked fine during the 2010 TAR.
IMG_0142_edited-1-L.jpg

Shovel- I looked up the weight on your bike 568, 40 lbs more than mine, tkc 80 rear and no side boxes on rotex fuel cell, u would glide along.

Back