• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DFW TARA BS Thread

Guys, I'm thinking of having a campout at my place the weekend of March 11 / 12. I have cabins with bunk beds, out door showers, & a fire pit. I'd like to meet up that Saturday for an early lunch in Graham, ride local backroads, then camp about dark. Maybe get up Sunday & ride to breakfast / brunch. Would anyone be interested?

Got it on my calendar. Is the fire pit furnished with Tall Tales or do we need to bring our own?

Last edited:
Guys, I'm thinking of having a campout at my place the weekend of March 11 / 12. I have cabins with bunk beds, out door showers, & a fire pit. I'd like to meet up that Saturday for an early lunch in Graham, ride local backroads, then camp about dark. Maybe get up Sunday & ride to breakfast / brunch. Would anyone be interested?

Heck PK lake and Palo Pinto as a whole are my old stomping grounds. If I don't have to work I'll try to make it :):rider:

Went to LBJ grasslands this morning and am planning a second "slacker" run on Monday morning. I am hoping to get some tracks and do some more exploring. I hope to have something worthy of a group ride later. Any advice or requests?
Looks like its going to be a bit chilly though with a high of 51ish.

I'd kinda like to go up to the Grass lands too, but I've already been slacking and now I have things I have to do. Have fun. I look forward to hearing about it.

Well, I wasn't able to follow the route I had in mind. A good many of the FS roads were closed. Other than that, the roads were in good condition with a few rutted places that are easy to avoid. Good elevation changes and some nice curve. But I don't think that there are enough FS roads to make it into a thing. Maybe if we were able to connect it to another dirt road system. For me its less than a hour away and I may hit it if I am just tooling around in that area.

I've ridden the grasslands a few times and where I was there were quite a few horseback riders. Had to be really careful and respectful around them so as not to spook the horses or become a nuisance. Anyone else experience this? Or am I riding in the wrong places?

I need to put some miles on the 690 this weekend and get it fully broken in. Saturday looks like the only option. I'll hang here and see if there's a group ride going anywhere near my area.

I've ridden the grasslands a few times and where I was there were quite a few horseback riders. Had to be really careful and respectful around them so as not to spook the horses or become a nuisance. Anyone else experience this? Or am I riding in the wrong places?

The only place we ran into horses was south of the cell tower by the dam. I think we will avoid it next time but it is an excellent spot to park the trailer if you trailer to the area.

Agree with the Greenwood burgers and I missed the pie.:doh:

Subscribed.

You're a stud! Coming up from Houston on Thursday, changing tires, packing, turning right around and riding 300+ miles to Bandera to do a 400 mile dirt ride and then another 300 miles home.

All is a weekend! :clap::clap:

H*LL NO I'm not in! :lol2:

Good luck tho. The ride looks great down there.

Well, cause people from DFW area are lazy, and there are almost no rides what so ever, I have to go to Houston, Austin, San Antonio area ever now and then, in order to get some quality riding and not to be by myself.

Well, cause people from DFW area are lazy, and there are almost no rides what so ever, I have to go to Houston, Austin, San Antonio area ever now and then, in order to get some quality riding and not to be by myself.

Set up and post your own rides and invite people to join you.

You can't always rely on someone else to do the route planning and organizing work for you.

Set up and post your own rides and invite people to join you.

You can't always rely on someone else to do the route planning and organizing work for you.

If I ever go back to Serbia, will do for sure. I actually organized a lot of races and events over there.
Problem is I've been in the states just 3 years now. And 2 years in DFW. So I'm not at all familiar with the area, at least not enough to organize something. I'm still trying to figure out how things work out around here. At my home country, you just go to the wilderness and ride wherever you want. Here you can't. Everything is private property, national parks, forbidden to ride in, needs special permits.... for a person who never encountered that, its little hard to learn everything and figure out in a short period of time. Especially with a busy work schedule.

Did you get the Beemer fixed, Goyko?

Yes sir I did. Very nice guy that I met on advrider from Houston, gave me used engine free of charge. The guys from the dealship swapped the flywheel from mine and couple other things, and mounted it. It runs smooth now, and I'm left with almost whole engine of spare pars.

Well, I wasn't able to follow the route I had in mind. A good many of the FS roads were closed. Other than that, the roads were in good condition with a few rutted places that are easy to avoid. Good elevation changes and some nice curve. But I don't think that there are enough FS roads to make it into a thing. Maybe if we were able to connect it to another dirt road system. For me its less than a hour away and I may hit it if I am just tooling around in that area.

I spent a lot of time riding around the LBJ Grasslands. One thing I found was the the official maps are very inaccurate. Imagine that. Google Earth is a much better tool. I would remind those new to the area that there really aren't any trails accessible to motorcycles, just gravel roads. Off-roading is not allowed unless you're on a horse.

Another great lunch stop (in addition to Greenwood Grocery) is Leeper Creek Barbecue. It is located at the intersection of 2175 and 287 just northwest of Decatur, on the east side of 287.

When I plan rides I have no idea either about where to go and what you're allowed to or not allowed to ride on. I start with google maps and pick a destination. I then drag to route to hit as many back roads and dirt roads as possible. All the while I'm taking the little dude and putting him at intersections to see if there's a gate or private property sign there. I drill down from satellite view to see how the roads look and whether they're interesting. From this view you often spot gates as well.

Once I have it in Google I get onto Garmin Basecamp and force it to mimic the Google route by placing waypoints that'll force it to route the same. Basecamp is also good because it indicates paved and unpaved roads differently so sometimes I make adjustments there. Download it to the GPS and I'm off. Still no guarantees the route will work so ever so often what looked like a road is private and you have work around it.

Overall its a real **** but once you're out there and enjoying the ride it becomes worth it. Also, if your looking for trail riding this method isn't much help and you'll have to search online for tracks other riders have posted over time.

BTW Goyko, I'm glad to hear your bike is back to working and, once again, the generosity of the online communities could help you out.

Back