• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

When does that weight starting making a difference?

NC700X Manual = 470

NC700X DCT = 500

6.4% increase in weight

AT Manual = 500

AT DCT = 530

6% increase in weight

VFR Manual = 600

VFR DCT = 630

5% increase in weight

Does that really make a difference in these cases? 5-6% increase?

Or do you mean a much lighter race bike?

Seems like for dirt bikes, Rekluse is the answer.

I suppose that is where we diverge. While I probably would opt for a manual on any of those bikes, I’m also not likely to own any of those bikes due to their weight. When discussing adventure type bikes something like the Tiger 800 or new KTM Adventure 790 would be more up my alley (and I’d prefer if they left off some of the options on those to save weight). If you slapped a DCT on either of those they’d be approaching the weight of the Africa Twin.

Keep in mind that I’ve never ridden anything other than a bike with a “normal” transmission. I also think a person should ride whatever they’re comfortable with and makes them happy. I’m glad you’ve found a piece of technology that makes riding more enjoyable for you; I just don’t think it would be for me.

Regarding the Rekluse on a dirt bike: I’d like to try one. I really have no idea what it would be like, but people seem to swear by them. It seems like a pretty cool middle ground.

30 pounds / 5-6% isn't going to change the world but it will make a difference and especially off road and on a tougher trail for the same reason that most people take off the saddlebags and and shed any excess luggage when they hit a trail, it's always better to have less weight than more. (and especially if you drop the bike or lose traction going up hill and have to stop mid climb)

Having said that, 30 extra pounds on a 500 pound bike wouldn't be something that kept me from buying one and it really wouldn't matter at all on an 800 pound bike like a Goldwing so a 3-6% weight change isn't a show stopper for me.

But.... on a 420 pound KTM 790 Adventure where many are already talking about dropping the cat and stock exhaust and getting it close to 400, 30 pounds would be too much weight to add. It would only be about 8%....but still way too much. And it definitely would be too much on a 250 pound dirt bike like a CRF450 where it would be over 10%.

10% is still a relatively small percentage....but it would definitely matter. 5% matters as well....just maybe only half as much. (see what I did there :) )

30 pounds / 5-6% isn't going to change the world but it will make a difference and especially off road and on a tougher trail for the same reason that most people take off the saddlebags and and shed any excess luggage when they hit a trail, it's always better to have less weight than more. (and especially if you drop the bike or lose traction going up hill and have to stop mid climb)

Having said that, 30 extra pounds on a 500 pound bike wouldn't be something that kept me from buying one and it really wouldn't matter at all on an 800 pound bike like a Goldwing so a 3-6% weight change isn't a show stopper for me.

But.... on a 420 pound KTM 790 Adventure where many are already talking about dropping the cat and stock exhaust and getting it close to 400, 30 pounds would be too much weight to add. It would only be about 8%....but still way too much. And it definitely would be too much on a 250 pound dirt bike like a CRF450 where it would be over 10%.

10% is still a relatively small percentage....but it would definitely matter. 5% matters as well....just maybe only half as much. (see what I did there :) )

Totally agree. The weight really only matters when you start getting into rough technical terrain. On the pavement and most gravel/dirt roads, it will be a non-issue. On my KTM 530, 30 lbs makes a HUGE difference, even if carried low in saddle bags. However, I suspect for many riders, if 30 lbs were that critical, they could stand to shed some personal ballast, which would be weight up high on the bike :-P

When does that weight starting making a difference?

NC700X Manual = 470
NC700X DCT = 500
6.4% increase in weight

AT Manual = 500
AT DCT = 530
6% increase in weight

VFR Manual = 600
VFR DCT = 630
5% increase in weight

Does that really make a difference in these cases? 5-6% increase?

Or do you mean a much lighter race bike?

Seems like for dirt bikes, Rekluse is the answer.

It saved my newbie butt on the few steep rocky climbs on the K-Trail, I have no doubt. Had I ventured down there on a 500+ lb manual bike, I suspect there would have been a call from Rich at some point, "Jarrett stalled out going up a steep rocky section and his bike fell on him. We're waiting on the ambulance..."

But like you said, a Rekluse would have accomplished the same in that spot.
From a xr650l to a klr is enough weight to drastically change my confidence and riding style.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just today I read a review of the Africa Twin Sports Adventure with DCT on ADV Moto and got me wanting to get one. Author recommends to get the DCT model over the regular one (and this was his first time on a DCT bike), he truly enjoyed it.

I don't see the point of bashing on DCT bikes (or people that prefer them). They don't make you a better or worse rider, it's just preference. By the way, electric bikes are coming, they'll be here and with them, clutch will be gone.

I'm aware. It's a big difference. if I had to choose, and it's the exact same bike, I'll take the lighter model. 30lbs is alot to add to any bike.

I'm thinking purely for dual sport and off road.

If we still have new gas powered bikes in 30 years they will probably all be some form of auto/semi auto.

However, I suspect for many riders, if 30 lbs were that critical, they could stand to shed some personal ballast, which would be weight up high on the bike :-P

Exactly... :)

I think the above posts were a bit tongue in cheek but it's worth saying the fact that weight on a riders body that can be shifted around at will is MUCH different than weight attached to the motorcycle as a practical application when riding.

A 250 pound rider on a 500 pound bike is going to have an advantage over a 200 pound rider on a 550 pound bike even though the total weight of both is 750.

Shedding weight off the body definitely helps in acceleration and deceleration just as much as shedding weight off the bike, but it doesn't really help when maneuvering the bike much at all. In fact, bigger riders sometimes have an advantage in throwing around a motorcycle from side to side that a smaller rider just isn't able to do. (only problem is they get way too tired too quickly doing it.)

So.... if you are drag racing....then shedding 30 pounds off the rider might be the same as shedding 30 pounds off the bike. But...in normal riding scenarios, it's not the same at all.

I think the above posts were a bit tongue in cheek but it's worth saying the fact that weight on a riders body that can be shifted around at will is MUCH different than weight attached to the motorcycle as a practical application when riding.

A 250 pound rider on a 500 pound bike is going to have an advantage over a 200 pound rider on a 550 pound bike even though the total weight of both is 750.

Shedding weight off the body definitely helps in acceleration and deceleration just as much as shedding weight off the bike, but it doesn't really help when maneuvering the bike much at all. In fact, bigger riders sometimes have an advantage in throwing around a motorcycle from side to side that a smaller rider just isn't able to do. (only problem is they get way too tired too quickly doing it.)

So.... if you are drag racing....then shedding 30 pounds off the rider might be the same as shedding 30 pounds off the bike. But...in normal riding scenarios, it's not the same at all.

It was totally tongue in cheek, hence the :-P

You are right, weight on the rider versus weight attached to the bike makes a BIG difference. I've seen some BIG boys toss around bikes in ways I could only hope to do!

Exactly... :)
Not that I couldn't stand to lose weight, it's not the same to me. I can tell the difference of 30 pounds in off-road bikes, as that's about the difference in my 450 and 350. I'll take lighter all day long.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just for accuracy, it's not exactly 30 pounds. Here's two models, you can compare others. Don't know if this difference makes any impact for prospective buyers. Direct from Honda's specifications, however accurate they might be.

Africa Twin
Manual 506.8 lbs
DCT 530.0 lbs
Difference - 23.2 lbs

NC700X
Manual 474 lbs
DCT 500 lbs
Difference - 26 lbs

Gotta go and mess up the discussion with facts and data...

I wonder if folks will be like 23.2 lbs? Ah, that's no big deal. But 30!! :)

That was kind of what I was thinking, where exactly is the deal breaker? Is it 25? 20?

I can't say how much I'd want it in the dirt, but 23 is well worth it for a street bike. Too many models of new Goldwing to figure out the weight difference but I'd happily take 30 pounds on a Goldwing to get DCT. Doesn't matter though, I can't even afford to look at Goldwings.

That was kind of what I was thinking, where exactly is the deal breaker? Is it 25? 20?

I can't say how much I'd want it in the dirt, but 23 is well worth it for a street bike. Too many models of new Goldwing to figure out the weight difference but I'd happily take 30 pounds on a Goldwing to get DCT. Doesn't matter though, I can't even afford to look at Goldwings.

It’s not all about the weight for me...I just din’t think the whole idea is what I’d enjoy the most. On a Goldwing, though, I definitely get it. Everything else on the bike is designed to make riding as easy and comfortable as possible, so the DCT fits right in.

I wonder if folks will be like 23.2 lbs? Ah, that's no big deal. But 30!! :)
If it was 23.3, i would never have purchased the silly DCT AT piggy:) I did lose 30 lbs of body fat a few years ago, but guess what? I still ride and crash the same!

I have put 20k miles on my AT since March, which gives me a total of 55k trouble free, and 54 pleasureable miles on DCT bikes. I have owned about 40 different motorcycles, the AT DCT (after my farkles) is the most pleasurable bike I have ever owned. However, that cr250 I had years ago sure was a close second:)

BTW: I do like the AT DCT system better than the Goldwing DCT system. The sport control has more options. The 2018 AT has a total of like 72 different configurations between Traction Control, engine braking, ABS and DCT modes.

Last edited:
Any avoidable weight is too much!

23 pounds for the DCT on the Goldwing. 787 pounds for the 6 speed vs. 800 for the DCT.

Goldwing Tour (the one with the trunk) is 833 Manual and 856 DCT

It’s not all about the weight for me...I just din’t think the whole idea is what I’d enjoy the most. On a Goldwing, though, I definitely get it. Everything else on the bike is designed to make riding as easy and comfortable as possible, so the DCT fits right in.

Here's an old video of me on my FJR with the inferior YCCS auto clutch working my way through traffic to flip around and head east on 635 and the tollway. Anymore I hate hate hate getting caught in traffic with a manual clutch.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9no4Q_o8ouI"]AEinTraffic - YouTube[/ame]

It takes a lot of hate out of riding in traffic. Not all, not even close, but a lot. :rider:

Anymore I hate hate hate getting caught in traffic with a manual clutch.

It takes a lot of hate out of riding in traffic. Not all, not even close, but a lot. :rider:

This is the only place I think I would want to have the DCT or similar system. I think it is all in what you get accustomed to. I can't imagine not shifting a motorcycle for me that is part of what I enjoy.

I have a Honda Foreman Utility ATV with ES (electric shift) it has thumb shift buttons to up or down shift and a centrifugal clutch. I have never liked this system and only own it because I bought it dirt cheap from a friend, if someone had the same model in same condition with the foot shift I would trade them in a heartbeat. I grew up riding motorcycles and at one point quad racing got big locally. I had some friends doing it so I jumped in and quickly discovered I hate a thumb throttle. I changed every sport/race quad I owned to twist throttle promptly. I had a lot of people say they could not ride with the twist, these were all people who started out on an ATV with thumb throttle. I can't imagine not having my thumb around the grip when the going gets tough, weather a thumb throttle or a thumb shift.

We are all creatures of habit I have a feeling that Jarrett likes the DCT because he has a background of competitive watercraft (jetski) which is "Gas and Go" much like the DCT. I'm not trying to put words in Jarrett's mouth or pass judgment on man or machine. I think it is a great time to be riding as technology continues to bring new things. I still don't own a bike with ABS or traction control, not because I don't want them. I just don't want to pay for them. I don't have a Rekluse for the same reason.

Jarrett would you agree with that?

Back