• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride Report: A Solo Adventure Ride Through Mexico and Guatemala

Hey thomas im glad u made this journey an awesome adventure, been wanting to read up on it so finally made some time, da truck that u hit was a tacoma same color as mine n like me i hope they dont fix her up it adds character to an offroad vehicle, what day were u in that accident? Doug, danny n i rode thru that same intersection from saltillo to parras oct21 on a friday about 3-5 in da afternoon maybe. N i can tell u ive been to zihuatanejo n taxco a couple of times both very charming towns, did u buy any cheap silver? That nonpolice ckpoint tells u that someone somewhere maybe up in Some high mountain overlook had already seen u coming, its an adv right, u signed up for it.

Excellent! :bow:

I took the time to read it all rather than just scanning the pictures. Thanks for taking the time to do it. I know it takes a LOT of time!

Are you fluent in Spanish?
Not really, but I do okay. I'd say that my comprehension is at about 65%, and my speaking at around 40%. Those percentages may or may not increase slightly after a couple of beers.

Are you fluent in Spanish?

Thanks for asking, I was curious but forgot to ask. I figured as much as we Americans are happy with our one language but European folks tend to speak at least three it seems.

I really enjoyed your report. I have a DR and I would like to ask you a couple of questions. At what highway speeds do you normally travel? What sprocket combo are you using?

Thanks again for sharing your voyage.

It's well past my bedtime, but I couldn't stop reading. Well done.

At what highway speeds do you normally travel? What sprocket combo are you using?
I'll have to check on the sprocket combo when I do some wrenching on her this weekend, but my regular highway cruising speed was around 60-65 mph. The gearing was actually a bit short (and buzzy in 5th gear) for highways, so I expect to drop a couple of teeth in the rear next time.

Probably close to what I have. Mine revs about 6500 rpm at 65 so I tend to stay around 60.
Thanks

Yeah, that sounds about right. It was one of several things that I'd like to address before the next big trip. The other items include front brake upgrades (the OEM brakes are okay in the dirt, but pretty pathetic on the street), and a better seat (the Seat Concepts kit is okay, but makes me do the cha-cha after a couple of hours). :rider:

I checked, it was 15/48. Gonna try 15/46 in Copper Canyon next week.
46 sounds better to give u faster hwy speeds, down in el canon del cobre u don't need torque its an easy ride in there, stay in da hotel with the river view n with an older lady running it she will take care of u n bikes with inside parking

After way too many hours of uploading images and editing existing links, I'm happy to report that the image links are finally working again (in all of my ride reports)! Thanks to those of you who messaged me about it -- apparently the problem was due to the fiasco caused by Photobucket changing its terms without warning a few months ago.

I'm a little bit behind schedule, but the new ride report from the Yucatan ride this past Summer is also in the works. Stay tuned! :trust:

What an amazing journey. Thanks for sharing.

After way too many hours of uploading images and editing existing links, I'm happy to report that the image links are finally working again (in all of my ride reports)! Thanks to those of you who messaged me about it -- apparently the problem was due to the fiasco caused by Photobucket changing its terms without warning a few months ago.

Not to worry, many of us have been out there doing the same. Pain in the rear for sure.

ahhhh was looking forward to the pics...all I see are little black x's...but loved the ride report none the less

ahhhh was looking forward to the pics...all I see are little black x's...but loved the ride report none the less
All fixed...again. :borg: I'm in the process of migrating all of my images to SmugMug, and editing the links to my various ride reports. :suicide:

Back