• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2016 9th Annual Uncle's Around the Bend, Feb 25th - 28th, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, thanks, I'll take this as a compliment to some video crafting I've done. If I'm there I'll see what I can do to show any interested parties. Just wait for my aerial follow-me drone vids :eat:

Recent: https://youtu.be/nMGYMqvrO14

Few years ago: https://youtu.be/rNVTKPXZ_8U

Non-MC: https://youtu.be/XEygawmMb0s

Good stuff. My buddy does a little video production on the side. Made us a few race videos. You can view his video list from this one...: Enjoy the music!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpmtqn4gxVE"]COTA GOPRO REALITY KK47 MotoAmerica Debut 2015 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I missed the 2015 ride as I was healing from a heart attack but I really enjoyed this ride a few years ago. I regretted not going up over the mountain trail but had a blast riding River Road....the food and accomodations were also excellent....I will be there thursday through Sunday...bringing 2 bikes and a camera...hope to get a hotel room this time as camping in a 50MPH wind was interesting...yet memorable...

Okay, I'm in too, hope Nick comes to this one too to help me pick up the bike.:rolleyes::party:

This is Nick, I will be going but I think we both need to get some dr650's. I was down at big bend this weekend. Most could be done on big bikes, but if wet know way.

Yes Nick and TriceP. Some of us( me) have what we have and insufis iant funds to have another bike soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Nick and TriceP. Some of us( me) have what we have and insufficient funds to have another bike soon

Not just some Andre, most of us, haha. But, rest easy, Big Bend is much easier on a big bike than Mexico, in my opinion. Most of the riding is street to dirt and return on street, and the dirt is fairly flat and easy. Except in the state park, which isn't really on the rally agenda. You'll do fine on the 1200.

Unless it rains. Then almost nothing works in Big Bend. It becomes pure slop, muck, and misery. So if it rains, you'll be on the best bike out there....easy to rack up highway miles seeing the various sites from the pavement access. All the guys like me on our little dual sports will be jealous as we pitter along and soak up the raindrops.

Historically, Big Bend (aka Terlingua) has under .5 inches of rain every January, February, and March. Only come May does it rain more than an inch a month. This year, 2015, there was 0.87 inches in 3 days...the three days of the rally, and 1.5 for the month (vs a normal 0.31) http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/terlingua/texas/united-states/ustx2692/2015/3 The poor desert just couldn't cope.

Last edited:
This is Nick, I will be going but I think we both need to get some dr650's. I was down at big bend this weekend. Most could be done on big bikes, but if wet know way.

I'll have to bring the tiger, being old and weak and feeble AND poor is not putting another bike n my immediate future

see you there.

Not just some Andre, most of us, haha. But, rest easy, Big Bend is much easier on a big bike than Mexico, in my opinion. Most of the riding is street to dirt and return on street, and the dirt is fairly flat and easy. Except in the state park, which isn't really on the rally agenda. You'll do fine on the 1200.

Unless it rains. Then almost nothing works in Big Bend. It becomes pure slop, muck, and misery. So if it rains, you'll be on the best bike out there....easy to rack up highway miles seeing the various sites from the pavement access. All the guys like me on our little dual sports will be jealous as we pitter along and soak up the raindrops.

Historically, Big Bend (aka Terlingua) has under .5 inches of rain every January, February, and March. Only come May does it rain more than an inch a month. This year, 2015, there was 0.87 inches in 3 days...the three days of the rally, and 1.5 for the month (vs a normal 0.31) http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/terlingua/texas/united-states/ustx2692/2015/3 The poor desert just couldn't cope.

and all that makes me feel better already.:rider:

Trying to work this out now.

Would love to camp BUT ... last year I was real happy to have a room and get out of the rain.

If anyone going to this rally is from the rio grande valley near mcallen harlingen or the brownsville area, let me know so maybe we can share the traveling and lodging expense. My plan is to take a small bike on the back of my pickup but if there is a trailer we can share, that would work out best. PM asap.

Peter... Beside this event, there are two more in Q1 next year... To me... Kind of challenge to attend all... Also... Very difficult to me to be one whole week out of home...

For sure... Terlingua 2016... Not sure about the others...

Peter... Beside this event, there are two more in Q1 next year... To me... Kind of challenge to attend all... Also... Very difficult to me to be one whole week out of home...

For sure... Terlingua 2016... Not sure about the others...

Understood. Pick what you are most interested in, save the others for another year. I'm just a lucky guy who ditched the corporate golden handcuffs. My only obligation keeping me home is to love my wife (and kids, and make money, and feed the dog....). but I remember the 10 days of paid vacation very well. Particularly a Friday I took off for a trackday that was rained out just after it was too late to drive to Houston and make it to the office. 10% of my vacation, gone, for nada. Don't miss those fun times much.

Word arrived from on high today...

I'm free to vamoose on down and come play in the rocks.

Dirty Sally is very excited.

Planning a Wednesday arrival.

Understood. Pick what you are most interested in, save the others for another year. I'm just a lucky guy who ditched the corporate golden handcuffs. My only obligation keeping me home is to love my wife (and kids, and make money, and feed the dog....). but I remember the 10 days of paid vacation very well. Particularly a Friday I took off for a trackday that was rained out just after it was too late to drive to Houston and make it to the office. 10% of my vacation, gone, for nada. Don't miss those fun times much.

?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back