• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rusty's GPS Class

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
TAR Riders,

Rusty (woodbutcher here on TWT) has kindly agreed to give a GPS class during TAR 2009. If you have a gps or want to get one, I highly recommend his class to you.

Here are the details:

Friday night, April 3rd, 7:30 p.m., Isaak's Restaurant banquet room. Seating is limited so first come first served.

Thank you Rusty for volunteering your time and effort to teach this class.

Thank you Rusty!!!! :clap: I for one will be there, am still any electronics, and GPS challenged. :giveup:

Just show up. Bring you questions and even your GPS unit. I'm going to concentrate on Garmin's, but if somebody has another brand let me know and I'll try to prep for that too.

In fact, if someone in the Austin area has a TomTom I can play with for a day or two, I'd really appreciate it.

Nope. I'm going to concentrate on using a GPS on a bike to follow routes. Particularly the tricks to mixed pavement and offroad routes. I'll cover creating the routes, following them, converting tracks to routes. Also, what to do when things don't go like you planned.

Nope. I'm going to concentrate on using a GPS on a bike to follow routes. Particularly the tricks to mixed pavement and offroad routes. I'll cover creating the routes, following them, converting tracks to routes. Also, what to do when things don't go like you planned.
Ah, the "When the Best Laid Routes Go Terribly Wrong" :mrgreen:
(been there)
Sounds great, Rusty. :clap:

Rusty it was nice to meet you at the Sonic on the way back from Big Bend. I look forward to your class.
Steve

Rusty or Richard , I need help before Friday!
I am downloading the TAR routes into my GPS.
When I try and simulate running a route it tells me that it will not follow exactly and wants me to recalculate. If I do that it will not send me down all the good roads.
Is there an easy fix other than going through each route and drawing over them in my mapsource?

PM me or post up what model GPS you are using and what maps you are using. I'll see what I can figure it out.

If one wanted to start using GPS, which device(s) would be best to start with? Any suggestions?

If I get one, I will want to attend the class.

Thanks!

What/where are you going to use it? Offroad/trail riding/hiking? Then the first that comes to mind is the Garmin GPSMAP 60cx or csx. Bike and car? One of the Garmin Zumo's is a good choice, but not the cheapest way to go. Car only? there are a lot to choose from there, but I'd think about mapping software, mapsets, and whether you just want it for routing or whether you want track logs to see where you've been. And whether it needs to be compatible with a gps you have or might get. ie, don't get a Delmorme PN40 for offroad/hking if you are going to put a Garmin Zumo on a street bike and the car. Might as well settle on one software program to control them both.

I would use it for on and off road navigation on trail rides. I suppose theremight be a use for making way points on a hike.

Definitely the 60cx or 60csx. Nice durable handheld unit. The 76cx and 76csx are similar screen size, but different from factor. A little bigger and meant for boats. The Delorme PN-40 looks interesting too. The previous version was slow, but this one seems better. With their software you can download routes, waypoints and maps. But you can also download their aerial and satellite images too. So you can have a kind of google maps thing going on. I haven't got my hands on one of those yet though.

But if I were looking for a handheld the 60cx and PN-40 would be the two.

Oh yeah, the s in the csx is for sensor. That means electronic compass and barometric altimeter. Just means the compass works when you are standing still and the altimeter is more accurate. The non-sensor can only tell which way the unit is facing when you are moving and gets altitude only when it has four or more satellites. Both of which are sufficient for most needs.

IMO I would stick with a Garmin Unit!
A large percentage of the guys that ride use Garmin. It is very easy to find someone to help you if you have a problem. Then when you learn how to use it, you can help the rest of us.:lol2:
I use a Garmin 276c for my dual sport stuff and a Garmin 2610 and 2820 for road bike and auto use.
The 276c has an internal battery and will let you follow previous tracks. The 2610 has no battery and will not follow tracks.
Listen to Rusty, he is our go to guy for technical info!:clap:

If one wanted to start using GPS, which device(s) would be best to start with? Any suggestions?

If I get one, I will want to attend the class.

Thanks!

My vote would be for the Garmin Zumo 550. Very user friendly and durable. They also have awesome customer svc!

:clap:

I just hesitate to recommend so expensive for offroad use only. Besides it is kind of limited by battery life. So it isn't useful for hiking and he would have to wire it in to the bike battery. A 60cx will go over 12 hours on a set of batteries.

I am not sure what a RAM setup is, but I ordered one that clamps to the handlebar. The GPS is here today, but the mount is not.

Thanks for the input.

RAM is a brand that makes good gps mounts. If you got the Garmin one, it might not be rugged enough for any offroading. Make sure you attach a lanyard (string) as a back up. Check out GPScity for RAM mounts.

Ah, I think it is a Garmin accessory that I ordered. Oh well, it was only about $12. I will batton it down real good with Gorilla tape and get the right mount later.

Thanks!

Back