• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 MexTrek #6, Oct 26th to 29th 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me and my two compadres are out so that's 0.3 more tacos for the rest of you. Our concern was access to the Tequila...

Last edited:
Never been on a moto trip to old Mexico and am really looking forward to it. If anybody lives in Dallas and is willing to share some of your wisdom, dinner on me!

Advice on this thread has been extremely helpful. Just thought it would be fun to hear some of the war stories in person before we head south.

Thanks

Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Does anyone have, and be willing to share, a route between Iturbide/Galeana and Gen Zaragoza that does not utilize Hwy 61 at all?

I've mapped what I believe to be pretty solid small bike routes in and out of the edges of this box, but I keep running into little dead ends on every road or decent goat trail I can find using all the various mapping programs and satellite images.

This "Dead End Area" file I attached should open a box in Google Earth that outlines the area that I'm stuck at. I have solid routes into and out of that box, but can't find anything that looks like it will take me through it from North to South.

Attachments

• Dead End Area.kmz
    770 bytes · Views: 208
Does anyone have, and be willing to share, a route between Iturbide/Galeana and Gen Zaragoza that does not utilize Hwy 61 at all?

I've mapped what I believe to be pretty solid small bike routes in and out of the edges of this box, but I keep running into little dead ends on every road or decent goat trail I can find using all the various mapping programs and satellite images.

This "Dead End Area" file I attached should open a box in Google Earth that outlines the area that I'm stuck at. I have solid routes into and out of that box, but can't find anything that looks like it will take me through it from North to South.

Hi Crchristo, I have something that may interest you. I'll piece the segments of proven tracks together tonight and post it.

JT

Hi Crchristo, I have something that may interest you. I'll piece the segments of proven tracks together tonight and post it.

JT

That's great. Thanks JT!
By looking at it, I'm sure that with enough poking around there's a couple of ways through. I just can't see it from orbit!

What if you apply for your TVIP on-line, then are unable to make the trip? Do you risk not being able to receive a TVIP again in the future, since you won't be turning this one back in at the border?

Screen%20Shot%202017-08-22%20at%2012.56.19%20PM-L.png

Hi crchristo, Here are two options for dirt routes from Iturbide to Aramberri. Run south from Iturbide to Camerones and turn west to Buena Vista or east to Carranza. The three tracks in this file are all proven tracks, just cut and paste them together to get the desired options.

We are still looking for tracks heading south from Santa Ines or San Ignacio. Maybe someone will try it this Mextrek.

JT

Attachments

• Sep-work1.gpx
    1.7 MB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Its getting close to our trip! Lets revisit the required legal documentation you will need!

Passport (I use my passport card)
Vehicle Registration -- NOTE, your title is NOT required. You need the normal printed receipt for your current registration
Driver's Licence
Mexican Vehicle Insurance
FMM (personal tourist visa)
TVIP (visa for your vehicle)

Just a friendly reminder: you really want Mexican Insurance when in Mexico. It's not just the law, it can seriously save your butt. I personally use https://www.bajabound.com/ and maintain a annual "ACE Seguros PLATINUM" policy. It costs me $430/ year, and I go into Mexico quite regularly. This is full coverage for my 2015 KTM 690 Enduro with a declared value of $10k, and includes stuff like emergency medical evacuation, $1000 of towing, legal fee/representation protection, etc, etc. Highly recommended. This same full coverage policy for my bike on our 3 day trip would cost about $55.00.

ALSO!!

You can apply for your FMM Tourist Card and TVIP vehicle permits online. Here is some information on how to do it, if you want to save a little time with your border paperwork.
We cross the border at "Puente Internacional Anzaldúas," our destination is the "Hotel Magdalena in Galeana, NL" -- bits of information you'll need to know whether filling out the FMM in person or online. I have never personally applied online; I always just go to the physical office in Mexico and have had only minor inconveniences, none of which were insurmountable.

Here is a great walk through for how to get the FMM document online:
https://www.bajabound.com/before/permits/visa.php -- link provided by Baja Bound insurance.
Here is the official Mexican Government site where you apply for the FMM permit:
https://www.inm.gob.mx/fmme/publico/en/solicitud.html

Here is a great walk through for how to get the TVIP document online:
https://www.mexpro.com/mexico/vehicle-import-permit.html
Here is the official Mexican Government site where you apply for the TVIP permit:
https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/

One reason to consider getting your permits online is because the officials at the border are not always 100% honest, and many of us have been "forced" to buy a 6 month visa for $500pesos (about $30), when you can get a FREE 7 day tourist visa when entering by land, as we are on our trip.
"I'm sorry sir, we do not offer the free permits at this office...."

For whatever its worth, I buy the 6 month/ 180 day visa. and reuse it throughout the year. This once was frowned upon or illegal, but the INM delegate for Baja California (Norte) announced in September 2015 that the FMM is now valid for multiple entry for land travel in Baja California only. We are not going to Baja, but I choose to do this anyway.

While on the subject, I personally have found that I get the best Dollars-to-Peso exchange rate when using local ATM's, provided I buy $3,000 to $5,000 pesos at a time. With my bank (a normal Wells Fargo checking account) the functional exchange rate is about $17 pesos to $1 USD after fees, etc. I would expect to spend less that $5000 on this trip; probably less than $3,000 pesos. $5,000 pesos is a bit less than $300 (after exchange fees, etc). Gasoline probably is going to cost aprox $3.70/ gallon most of the time. Aside from our hotel and food (and beer) there's not much to spend your money on in Galeana.

Remember to contact your bank and your phone service before crossing the border so you don't get any hick-ups to these important services! I use AT&T for my mobile phone and they offer free unlimited calls and text from Mexico to the US, plus I consume data normally there (no roaming fees), albeit with slightly slower speeds. Expect to not have cell phone coverage about half the time, but it's generally there in some form of weak signal in most small towns.
I also carry a DeLorme inReach satellite tracker with texting capabilities. The one time I *REALLY* wished I had it, I didn't, and now make it a point to try to keep the battery charged and on me.

One final thought,
With over 100 riders registered to attend, we need to break up into smaller groups to not overwhelm the local roads, officials, lunch stops, gas stops, etc, etc... Sid Shaddack and I are leading the 2nd group leaving McAllen. Our driving style in Mexico is: drive about 70mph most of the time, lane split in towns and at stop lights, pass aggressively on highways, absolutely NEVER LEAVE ANYONE BEHIND. I'll have my SENA headset and small HAM radio linked, and we'll have a rider safety meeting before taking off, coordinating our radios/COMs for anyone that (optionally) wishes to do so. We tend to go quick and a bit more on the aggressive side, but we also stay together. This of course is adjusted according to the conditions and the needs of our group, but just a heads up that even though our group is leaving a bit later than the first group, we will not be the slow one. So in other words, we'll be getting a relaxed breakfast and coffee before taking off, then hauling butt.

I'm looking forward to seeing y'all there!
Fang, I'm trying to be an Overachiever. It looks like an invalid date error comes up on the Government FMM site when I enter Oct 26 2017. Anyone else notice that, or is it just me looking forward to The MexTrek? [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

I ran into the same thing. You can only do it 30 days before you enter mexico

Last edited:
Screen%20Shot%202017-08-22%20at%2012.56.19%20PM-L.png

Hi crchristo, Here are two options for dirt routes from Iturbide to Aramberri. Run south from Iturbide to Camerones and turn west to Buena Vista or east to Carranza. The three tracks in this file are all proven tracks, just cut and paste them together to get the desired options.

We are still looking for tracks heading south from Santa Ines or San Ignacio. Maybe someone will try it this Mextrek.

JT

Thanks JT! You filled in a couple of missing links for me. Can't wait to explore them.
I've been scouring satellite imagery for a way south from Santa Ines. It looks like it might be possible just poking down the valley, but it looks awfully sketchy about two miles in.
I'm not sure where San Ignacio is.

Sorry, haven't settled on a picture sharing site that allows linking. Here's links to the area in question before and after JT posted the GPX file.

Before JT:
https://pix.sfly.com/ym1GQY

After JT:
https://pix.sfly.com/K1FFGc

Last edited:
Fang, I'm trying to be an Overachiever. It looks like an invalid date error comes up on the Government FMM site when I enter Oct 26 2017. Anyone else notice that, or is it just me looking forward to The MexTrek? [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-T567V using Tapatalk

JonCoffee, I have never applied online, but would like to some time. It's easy enough to do in person I've never bothered.
cegusman, thanks for the good input. Looks like maybe JonCoffee should wait a week and try again.

Thanks for asking. I'm sorry I don't really know the answer.
-Steve

Looks like maybe JonCoffee should wait a week and try again.

Thanks for asking. I'm sorry I don't really know the answer.
-Steve

Seems like we won't be able to apply before Sep 26th.
It says "date is invalid" for any date which is not in the coming 30 days

Pemex Gas Stations in the area.

I thought these files might be of use or interest to some of you on this list.

With three exceptions, I've confirmed these stations by having been to a few of them but mostly by checking them using Google Street View. Additionally, they are all listed on the Guia Pemex site as being open.

The three exceptions are:
The station shown just before the tunnel to Real de Catorce.
The station on hwy 112 just west of San Antonio de Las Alazanas.
The westernmost station shown in Dr. Arroyo
If anyone can confirm any of these, that would be great.

The KMZ file should open up in Google Earth.
The GPX file is for pretty much any other mapping tool.

http://guiapemex.pemex.com/SitePages/home.aspx#

Attachments

• Pemex Gas Stations.kmz
    4.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Pemex Gas Stations.gpx
    8.1 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
A few of us are going down to Galeana and Aramberri Friday to do a little recon. I hope to have a few new tracks to post. :chug:

You guys get to have too much fun. I'm sooo excited about Mextrek. Something to take my mind off the flooding and fun in Houston at the moment.

Any Austin-area MexTrex rider(s) up for a shakedown ride on Sunday morning Sep 3 at Hidden Falls at 8AM?

http://www.hiddenfallsadventurepark.com/

I finally got my KTM 500 EXC-F built (I think!). I need to start getting used to it and make sure it doesn't have any problems with the many mods I made turning it into an adventure-enduro bike.

So I'm planning to truck it to Hidden Falls Adventure Park (Hill Country) on Sunday. I'd like to be there and ready to pay the entry fee at 8AM or soonest thereafter.

Will truck the bike to the private park and so with my high-clearance 4WD truck and I'll have some extra tools, food, water etc. and a way to recover my bike if needed.

Just looking for a small informal deal with 1 or a few people -- anyone who wants to do the same thing?

PM-me or reply here.

Attachments

• IMG_0422 copy.jpg
    IMG_0422 copy.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Pemex Gas Stations in the area.
If anyone can confirm any of these, that would be great.

The KMZ file should open up in Google Earth.
The GPX file is for pretty much any other mapping tool.

http://guiapemex.pemex.com/SitePages/home.aspx#

Not sure what you mean by confirm, but the station just before tunnel Ogarrio at R14 is good to go if you need gas. I always stop in Cedral before the cobblestone Rd. and fill up just because you can get a bottle of tequila cheaper than real.
If your in Real and need gas go out the backway towards Vanagas and there is a station where the road T's into blacktop. Much more scenic & don't have to go through the filthy tunnel. There are a few places to buy gas in Real from an individual if you ask around.

Riders,

The Pemex gas station in Rayones is closed. I have no idea if there are plans to re-open it. Don't plan on getting gas there. We went through there yesterday and needed gas badly. Ended up buying it from a guy selling it from his house from a 55 gallon drum for $7 a gallon.

@Shadman. There's a dude on AdvRider (TeneRay, I think) that's not a member here. Says registered here, but has no confirmation. He sent you or Bob a PM on AdvRider, but hasn't heard back.

Can you check the AdvRider thread and PMs?

I'm TeneRay on AdvRider.

I'll be in TX for the week to watch F1 and figure I could join this Rally. I'll be leaving from Midland. Wondering who else will be in that area or coming in from the west? Figure I can join along for the ride down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back