• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2011 Texas Adventure Ride: Apr 7 - 10, 2011

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
The 5th annual Texas Adventure Ride is Thursday, April 7 - Sunday, April 10, 2011 in Junction, TX.

The Texas Hill Country contains some of the finest paved and dual sport roads in all of Texas. TAR (Texas Adventure Ride) is an organized, 4 day, dual sport adventure rally occurring each April in Junction, TX offering the dual sport adventure community an annual opportunity to explore those great roads. All riders are invited to attend.

The ride headquarters for this year's TAR is:
Best Western Hotel
244 Dos Rios Drive
Junction, TX 76849
325-446-3700

This year the ride headquarters has been moved to the Best Western hotel, right off Main Street in Junction. The Best Western has a special rate for TAR attendees of $68 per night (for a single or a double). This rate also includes a hot breakfast buffet.

The Rodeway Inn (325-446-4588), located next door to the Best Western, is offering a special rate of $49.95 for a single or double to TAR attendees. The Rodeway doesn't have a breakfast buffet so if you stay there the Best Western will let you eat at their buffet for $4 per person.

There are a number of other motel options in Junction in the event these 2 properties fill up.

Early registration is now open.

Early registration ends Monday, March 21, 2011.

Other significant items for this year's event include the return of Rusty's GPS class and the addition of an Adventure Motorcycling Photography class.

Rusty's GPS Class: If you have been wanting to learn more about the GPS then this is a great class to attend. Rusty is very knowledgeable about the GPS and is a fine instructor. The 1.5 hour class is Friday night in the banquet room at Isaack Restaurant. The cost is $10 (pay at the door) and includes a handout.

Adventure Photography: You may have noticed that dual sport riders tend to visit some very scenic but out of the way places and also that we tend to get into to some interesting situations. Well, both of these things lend themselves to photography. If you've been wanting to learn how to use your digital camera or improve your photography skills to better capture the scenery and/or the antics of your fellow riders then this class is designed for you. Jerry Powell, our instructor for this class, will be teaching both how your camera functions and the basics of composition. The 1.5 hour class is Friday night in the banquet room at Isaack Restaurant (following Rusty's GPS class). The cost is $10 (pay at the door) and includes a printed handout.

More information about the Texas Adventure Ride is on the Texas Adventure web site.

Hope to see you there.

Last edited:
Man, in baseball terms, if we also do Mextrek and Arkansas this year, we hit for the cycle :clap:

Free Clinic

There will be a free daily clinic on Coffee and Adventure Riding. Each day at about sunrise until breakfast in the hotel parking lot.

Bring your java beans, your grinders, your JetBoils, your french presses, your Bialettis, etc.

Day 1: Caffeine and Motorcycle Happiness

Day 2: Grinding It Out: The Pros and Cons of The Whole Bean

Day 3: Coffee Zen: The Art of Java on the Road

Web site issues: The company hosting my texasadventure.net web site has been having some sort of issue the past 24 hours so my site is currently down. I apologize for this and hopefully they will have the issues resolved soon.

Been eying this ride for many years. Gotta' do it this time.

Re: Free Clinic

There will be a free daily clinic on Coffee and Adventure Riding. Each day at about sunrise until breakfast in the hotel parking lot.

Bring your java beans, your grinders, your JetBoils, your french presses, your Bialettis, etc.

Day 1: Caffeine and Motorcycle Happiness

Day 2: Grinding It Out: The Pros and Cons of The Whole Bean

Day 3: Coffee Zen: The Art of Java on the Road

Other clinics include:

How many beers can you get in a Givi and how fast will your neighbors (Lubke and I) show up to help drink them??
642073229_VFpVb-L.jpg

642071649_viPTq-L.jpg

I think Dixonduke has insulated one of his panniers and it'll hold a lot more than that.

Sign me up. Rough roads, clinics on Gps,Photography,coffee making,beer hauling/drinking,and BS how could I miss it?

:eat::rider::eat::rider::eat::yawn: repeat

this is my very first post. I got a 05 650GS from Lone Star in november. I have been using it every day since for my daily work commute. I have been itching to get out and do some adventure riding. Is this event considered newbie friendly?

this is my very first post. I got a 05 650GS from Lone Star in november. I have been using it every day since for my daily work commute. I have been itching to get out and do some adventure riding. Is this event considered newbie friendly?

You can make it as easy as you want. You can wander the paved roads in the National park or along the river and just enjoy scenery. Or just do some easy dirt roads, like Old Maverick road or the dirt road down to the Hot Springs. Or some of the dirt roads near the ghost town.

Is this your first bike? If so, I think you'd find just wandering and testing the dirt roads a great learning experience.

Thanks for the advice. This is my first bike. I had gone out on dirt bikes a couple of times but that does not count. I am going to seriously think about it and go check it out. I am sure I will find a few in my same situation.

I'm sorry, I got totally confused as to which ride thread you were asking about. I was thinking about Big Bend instead of Junction. Yes, there are more easy road options on this ride then the one next week in Big Bend.

I've run around on this ride several times with folks that are moderately new to dual sporting and gotten them home safe. I'm sure there will be others looking to do the easy routes. Who knows, maybe I'll lead a group again.

If there are enough of us newbies out there it will be great if you can lead a group. Otherwise I am sure I can find a few in my skill level I can ride with.

If there are enough of us newbies out there it will be great if you can lead a group. Otherwise I am sure I can find a few in my skill level I can ride with.

Buy the ride guide from Richard. He list local routes that most will ride and also how dificult they are. Decide what route you want to ride then join a group riding it.

Elabuelito, then look me up and come by and borrow my "Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVD". Vinnie just returned it. ;-)

Richard is the guide that comes with the registration for TAR the same guide mentioned on earlier post?

Richard,

I see you have a guide for sale on the website and the you can also order a guide with TAR registration. Are those the same guide? :doh:

elabuelito,

Yes, they are the same guide. The Hill Country Adventure ride guide is not included with your TAR registration. It's an optional purchase since so many of the riders that attend already have a copy and don't need to purchase another.

Last edited:
Back