• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Next Modification...

Pulled the trigger on a set of 03 yz450f triples, axle & bushings tonight. Next thing to do is to see how much it's gonna set me back to get the forks setup before they get mounted.

Delivered today...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_20161217_164716.jpg
    IMG_20161217_164716.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
But it's supposed to give me five more horsepower...

Well, I now have all the components to do my swap. All I need now is for the Xmas holiday madness to get behind me so I can save up the $$$ for the YZ fork mods and service before I mount them. Merry Christmas all....

Last edited:
Update: it seems the 08 wr250 tubes will need more tuning mods then I want to put into them to make them work so I'll be putting them back into the "pay it forward" forum shortly. After more research I found that yz450 tubes will need little if any mods so I have a set on the way to me now. Stay tuned sports fans....

After last weekends ride and a good washing I finally got off my lazy butt. It's funny how much you start learning about your bike when ya really start pulling it apart. Those silly Germans, how they like to complicate things. I'm going to weigh everything I take off vs. what I put on and find out how much lighter all this work is going to gain me. From what I've read at least five pounds off the front and twelve once the abs is removed.

Off with the bad stuff and on with the good stuff...from my research I saw that stiffer springs were sometimes installed, soooooo I found a set of forks that were already stiffened up with .52's. Time will tell...

fd59ad7b7e1a0a7c04d43125df24c803.jpg
75412746eab6ff3f478a8d4f87cd36eb.jpg

Last edited:
Removing all the abs plumbing requires pulling the complete subframe, oh joy and rapture. I also have a new rear brakeline and fork guards on the way plus a set of protapers. :trust:

Pro Tapers and fork guards are mounted. I had to order a brake line adapter so I could use the stock Brembo master with the YZ brake line. Pulled the subframe and removed the ABS unit and brake lines, wasn't too difficult just time consuming. Replaced the rear line with one for a non abs setup, bolts right up. Now to get the speedo to work I'm going to have to add a couple of jumpers to the no longer used abs connector, oh and then remove the abs indicator bulb from the dash. I'm hoping to be back up and rolling this weekend. Once I'm satisfied with my suspension I'm going to be on the hunt for a lighter and more throaty pipe. The stock one is pretty heavy.;-)

Pics from Dave's latest work...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
d4b93295be6f7424ea20aab56237ea8c.jpg
d4c5c896a81845f45aaee6c929086c11.jpg
f60dde2e4f7b69b4e4e8de1517dc6d36.jpg
e97a574cc7f5f183d0c96b9ef688b4a9.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! David you sure have a lot more shop skilz & patience than I do. To me that looks like an enormous amout of hair pulling frustration. By the time I could get all that stuff correctly sorted, I would be hating on the bike so much I wouldn't even wanna ride the thing any more.

It looks a lot harder then it is and I can't afford to lose much more hair....The uncertainty of never messing with something like this before is much worse then the actual doing. As much as I hate missing riding with all this mild weather we've been having I know I'm going to enjoy riding a LOT more once I'm finished with it. I'm over the hump now and will be putting it all back together tonight and this weekend. Yaaay Meeee! :rider::rider:

Last edited:
Congrats on getting it done. I would have bought the parts and quit there.

While you have it apart you should service the gutterenhamnerweiser. Nobody ever services the gutterenhamnerweiser so every BMW 650 needs it done. ;-)

m

Funny you should mention the gutterenhamnerweiser. I looked at it and noticed that the kafluttenvalve was not closing properly so I emergency backordered the entire assembly. The parts guy said that it should be here by the year, oooohhh, 19eleventybillion..:moon::coffee:

Funny you should mention the gutterenhamnerweiser. I looked at it and noticed that the kafluttenvalve was not closing properly so I emergency backordered the entire assembly. The parts guy said that it should be here by the year, oooohhh, 19eleventybillion..:moon::coffee:

When that assembly arrives don't forget to use Loctite where it bolts to the finkelhauser bracket.

Thanks for the reminder but I was just going to torque it down using my trusty dusty torque wrench from "Spielzeug R Uns..."

Last edited:
Well, let's see. Tonight I put the jumpers on the ABS connector so I now have my speedo back up and working and I remounted the subframe. Starting to look like a motorcycle again. Tomorrow after Jury duty, ( I said dooty) I plan on
rewiring the grip heaters and driving lights then I'll bleed both brake lines. :zen:

Just finished it. I still have a couple small things to do but for the most part it's done.
c457599a463d6a8b66a5fad769b2edc7.jpg

Thanks, doing the mod taught me a good bit about the bike. Win, win..

Nice Job David. Dat is one bad *** looking Dakar!
You need to come up here to the ranch and put those new springs to the test. Your gonna need to make sure they all get seated up correctly in the finkelhauser assembly.

Nice Job David. Dat is one bad *** looking Dakar!
You need to come up here to the ranch and put those new springs to the test. Your gonna need to make sure they all get seated up correctly in the finkelhauser assembly.
Thanks Donny. Ya know I look at every Arkansas ride report I come across and I can't imagine an area with more riding opportunities. Believe me when I get a break from life's time constraints that always seem to happen we WILL be coming up your way and you will probably have to make us leave.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

They shall leak no more forever.... can't wait to try'em out...
162769fe380413c269b6924a5fe6bba6.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Back