• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 Project - Focused picture a week (M38A1)

#38/52
Sunset on the East Coast
Quick trip for a get-away and I found myself on the bay side at sunset looking West. Just thought it was pretty. Tripod, three shots at -2/0/+2 EV, then HDR merged in Lightroom and a little tweaking from there.

CAMERA Nikon NIKON D4S
LENS AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
ISO 200
FOCAL LENGTH 24.0 mm (24.0 mm in 35mm)
APERTURE f/6.7
EXPOSURE TIME 0.001s (1/1000)
i-7fXj8Lv-XL.jpg

#39/52
Padre
If you've been following my posts for the past several years, you'll see quite a few pics of my parents. At this time, Dad's lapped the earth a full 93.5 orbits, so any time I get to spend with him is good. He said he wanted to go to Cape May, so at this season of life - what he says - we do. We had some alone time for a bit and walked out to the Atlantic oceans edge. A dirt-poor boy from Oklahoma, he joined the NAVY in 1945 and served in WWII at the tail end ferrying soldiers back from Europe. Made many trans-atlantic crossings, pacific crossings, the Panama Canal, typhoons, and loved every minute of it. After the war, he moved to Seattle and had a sailboat. He chartered larger boats with his friends and they sailed up and down the East and West coasts. Korea, he was part of the invasion at Inchon as an engineering officer on an APA. That's the bigger ship that carried 16 of the little landing craft you see in all the movies that speeds towards the beach and the big door in the front opens and everyone spills out onto the beach. After Korea, he returned to the East Coast, and again spent most free time on the water or in the air. He's always loved the ocean. Why do I say all this? Because I'm standing there on the beach with my Dad just watching him stare out at the ocean on a beautiful sunny day, and I'm wondering what's going through his mind. Is he thinking 'this is the last time I'll see the ocean'? Or is he thinking 'man what a beautiful day'? I didn't have the guts to ask him...... I'm at this stage with him now where I'm afraid to ask those questions as I've never done this before. It's new territory for both of us.

CAMERA Nikon NIKON D4S
LENS AF-S Zoom-Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
ISO 320
FOCAL LENGTH 70.0 mm (70.0 mm in 35mm)
APERTURE f/6.7
EXPOSURE TIME 0.00033s (1/3000)
i-ps42hrw-XL.jpg

Last edited:
#40/52
The 2018 Smithville Photo Festival once again happened this year. I brought the '53 M38A1 jeep and did the gumby-pose-model thing again in my period correct Korean War combat uniform. Between some very light/brief periods of nuisance rain, I was able to have a bit of fun with some of the other models. This gal was walking around with a bat being all 'bad-girl' looking when she inquired about the "big gun". Well, here's where that went.....

i-K3pZDbv-X2.jpg

#40/52
The 2018 Smithville Photo Festival once again happened this year. I brought the '53 M38A1 jeep and did the gumby-pose-model thing again in my period correct Korean War combat uniform. Between some very light/brief periods of nuisance rain, I was able to have a bit of fun with some of the other models. This gal was walking around with a bat being all 'bad-girl' looking when she inquired about the "big gun". Well, here's where that went.....

i-K3pZDbv-X2.jpg
The crossman pellet gun threw me for a second.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The crossman pellet gun threw me for a second.

Her: "This doesn't shoot anything does it"?

Me: "Only if you point it at something and pull the trigger, but it's a little projectile"

Her: "Please be careful where you put that in my pants, please".

Her: "This doesn't shoot anything does it"?

Me: "Only if you point it at something and pull the trigger, but it's a little projectile"

Her: "Please be careful where you put that in my pants, please".
So many opportunities for a joke that would get me in trouble!

#41/52
Bee

CAMERA Nikon NIKON D4S
LENS AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED
ISO 320
FOCAL LENGTH 105.0 mm (105.0 mm in 35mm)
APERTURE f/3.3
EXPOSURE TIME 0.00286s (1/350)
i-Sbm8fvN-XL.jpg

Nice shot Scott. I like the color and focus variations with the bee stopped in motion. I hate to think how many shots and time it took to get this.

Thanks for the kind words. This one took 59 shots to get the above image.

#42/52
Bhut Jolokia, aka: the Ghost Pepper.
It's like licking a hot branding iron. I've got 50 or more of these on the vine at the moment. I can't even begin to think how I might use them...

i-hTFFJ6q-X2.jpg

Last edited:
#47/52
60 Years of Marriage...

Man, my parents have been married longer than I've been alive.... :-)
i-SFqWf4c-X2.jpg

#50/52
Sausage, peppers & onions

Rusty and his lovely wife invited me over one evening for some sausage, peppers and onions cooked on the cowboy wok/discada. All I had was the iPhone and it doesn't do a great job in low light. The food tasted so much better than it looks here.
i-nj97brj-XL.jpg

Back