• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Grizzly mini lathe SPF

By the way, got the lathe home into the shop, a little drilling, lighting and then we will get some play time. Thanks Chris, this was a heck of a deal. looking forward to tearing up some metal.

It was good meeting you both. I know you'll enjoy it as much as I did. And make tons of parts you didnt know you needed. spacers and washers galore!

It was good meeting you both. I know you'll enjoy it as much as I did. And make tons of parts you didnt know you needed. spacers and washers galore!

I guess I should have pointed out I went with Jimmie the Scab to pick up the lathe. Mitch couldn't make it.:rider:

You inspired me to consolidate toolbox stuff and get back down to one in an effort to make space for tools I want, lol!!!

Got her home, set her up, put up a light over her and went at it. So far, so good. Lots of fun in that toy. I already had her apart, cleaned and lubed her and put it all back. There were lots of accessories as well. Thanks Chris, great deal.

SXRV47621.jpg

RTGZ5857.jpg

IDVR8221.jpg

IMG_06951.jpg

IMG_06961.jpg

DSWD6898.jpg

HNFA5847.jpg

FWIW, and it may be counterintuitive, but you want to be careful and I'd avoid wearing gloves around a lathe. You'll notice that most machinists will not wear them around spinning motors, lathes, mills, drills, and saws. They'll usually have a pair of needle nose around for handling sworf and picking at things. Just a precaution to think of while learning the ins and outs.

They usually keep their hair short too!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So with a 3-jaw chuck, square stock is not recommended?

Square stock is much more easy to center up in a 4 jaw chuck without using some kind of a jig or sabot type capsule, being the main reason Mitch. Trying to do it in a three jaw will usually end up with the work loosening, getting it cocked or wobbly as the work spins and has pressure applied to it from the cutters (either from vibrations or centrifugal force I presume). Also, I notice some of the machinists on youtube have pretty long beards but they'll usually have rubber bands in them to hold them back. Keith Fenner comes to mind but I think he's even made statements about it along the lines of don't follow my example here folks, lol!!!

Right there with you it was a great deal, curse of working and not checking
the forums enough

I have hit myself many times with implements that I shouldn't. I am pretty sure a 2X4 is on there somewhere.

I am literally out in the garage right now putting my TIG setup together and going to start practicing. Classes are great but I figure between Youtube and having the ability to pull together a lot of great scraps I can practice to my hearts content. The bottle of Argon was only about 46 bucks and I believe I have enough filler rod for steel and aluminum to practice until I am ready to start making progress on some other projects.
Where did you get the argon? That's a great price.

Last edited:
Back