• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Prayers for my father-in-law

WoodButcher

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
Myers
He's at the hospital in Phoenix waiting for a MRI. Sudden concern by doctors that he might have a tumor on his brain. I have absolutely no more information than that. So I don't know how they reached that diagnosis, but it concerns me they said that before the MRI.

Most of my wife's siblings are in Phoenix and many are with him. Her mother is there too.

Prayers sent Rusty. Hoping for the best outcome.

Well, news is not good. Initial diagnosis is an inoperable brain tumor. Prognosis is 5 months. However, one of my wife's brothers is a doctor with the Mayo Clinic. He is flying into Phoenix today to get my father-in-law checked into the Mayo Clinic there and get a second look at him. We are not expecting any radically different diagnosis, but hoping for some treatment.

Well, news is not good. Initial diagnosis is an inoperable brain tumor. Prognosis is 5 months. However, one of my wife's brothers is a doctor with the Mayo Clinic. He is flying into Phoenix today to get my father-in-law checked into the Mayo Clinic there and get a second look at him. We are not expecting any radically different diagnosis, but hoping for some treatment.

Sorry to hear about this Rusty,prayers headed that direction.

Yes, I will add to prayer list, and God Bless Family.
I know this a major blow. While I understand "not expecting any radically different diagnosis," sometimes different alternatives can add a surprising length of time to patients and comfort to family.

Let's pray for God healing powers being transmitted thru the hands and efforts of your brother-in-law too!

Well, my wife just got back on Saturday from spending 10 days out there helping out. I'm heading out on Friday to spend Easter with them. Today we get the results of the biopsy to see if there is any treatment.

So please pray for good news and also safe travel for me. I'll be riding out.

Have a great ride and sending prayers for a good prognosis.

You continue in my thoughts.
Have a safe ride.

Wow, I forgot to post the results. A little better news. Instead of the 5 months they gave him a month ago, they now say stage 3 cancer not stage 4. Still terminal, but with radiation treatment, 6-18 months.

Rusty I pray God's word that Philippians 4:7amp and :8kjv be manifested within your father in law and encompass his whole family and friends.
And God's peace [shall be yours, that tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and also fearing nothing from God and being content with its earthly lot of whatever sort that is, that peace] which transcends all understanding shall garrison and mount guard over your hearts and minds in Jesus Christ.
Finally brother, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things that are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things that are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report: if they be any virtue and if they be any praise, think on these things.

:tab Given the short life expectancy, I have to wonder why they recommend any treatment at all? I think if I were in his place, I would forgo the hassle, expense, etc,... and just make the most of the time I had left. I know those are hard choices to make though, especially if family is putting pressure on someone to do anything possible in the hope of changing the outcome.

Mixed reactions from family about the treatment. Radiation will increase life span. Will make him restless, may affect memory more. At this point he wants it and understands the issue. Chemo is more invasive and affects quality of life. Radiation won't wipe him out for extended periods. If the treatments start to affect quality of life, he will stop them.

Well, like Gina said, difficult choices to be sure. We will continue to pray for all of you.

Guess I'm overdue for an update. He's still chugging along. Had one series of radiation treatments (5 days) and that's all they are going to do. That was several weeks ago. My wife and daughter spent a week out there two weeks ago. Veronica will go back to visit again next month. So far he is handling it with grace. My mother-in-law could use some prayers though. She is trying to do too much and it is wearing her down.

thanks,

Final update. He passed away last week. I'm in Phoenix now and we had the funeral this morning. Thanks for all the prayers. Things actually were not too traumatic for the family and we just had a good get together.

Back