• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Back on Two Wheels!

It's a used cluster off ebay - new to me ;-) High beam and turn signal indicators. Not a priority, as I can see when those are in use.

Put a new, slightly skinnier front tire on it this past weekend as the ancient Metzeler was very squirrely. Rode to work this morning, with fairing, instruments, working rear suspension.

Like a new ride. :rider:

Nice bikes. Those forks require a team effort to pull apart .... brings friends over for the task. Do the shock oil too this winter if you can.

I replaced the fork seals a few weeks ago. Much more work than my old BMW required for that job. The cir-clips that held the seals in place were rusted in place and a local chopper shop drill them out.

I put a new-to-me rear shock on it after determining the pro-link was working fine.

All those suspension related things turned this from a wild horse that wanted to run off the road to a stable motorcycle I can keep on-line almost without thinking.

New front tire resolved the remaining handling problem I was having - the bike was fighting against me in every turn. Having corrected suspension problems and put a new tire on the front, the old Sabre 700 was handling like a champ.

Went out early this afternoon for little joy ride. There are some very nice roads - swooping turns, hills - nearby. Very windy today.

80 miles around some very nice roads, bike was stable and sure-footed. Stopped off at the grocery store for some ice cream. Home in time for the Oklahoma State vs OU football game.

This bike handles as well as the BMW R80RT it replaced. Has more power and torque, making hill country easier and more fun.

I received a nice bonus from my new employer and spent part of it on side covers from eBay. Rode to work yesterday. All the plastic is now on the bike.

Attachments

• IMG-20171121-00071.jpg
    IMG-20171121-00071.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 248
Seems all the work you have put fixing issues with the bike have paid off!
:clap:
Happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks, my friend! Yes - it is a very good ride now. I am happy with the results. One thing more - either build or boy and modify a luggage rack.

Nabbed a luggage rack from a fellow Sabre rider on Facebook, installed a trunk on it today - same type I had on my BMW. Now I'm ready for a road trip. Pix when the weather warms up enough to ride.

Nice day today - went to town for supplies. This trunk makes that an easy chore. It removes easily, too.

Attachments

• IMG-20180120-00091.jpg
    IMG-20180120-00091.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 217
I've been following this thread from the beginning. In 1985 I was 38 and have some nostalgia for the Sabre's style and technology. It's heartening to see the progress you have made. I look forward to your road report when the weather warms.

Last edited:
Many thanks for you comment! I am about 7 years behind ya.

I do have plans to ride this bike to Denton in March. It's about a 4 hour ride on the back roads. There's a theology conference there I want to participate in, spend time with friends, learn more about the Lord.

Many thanks for you comment! I am about 7 years behind ya.

I do have plans to ride this bike to Denton in March. It's about a 4 hour ride on the back roads. There's a theology conference there I want to participate in, spend time with friends, learn more about the Lord.

Manfred, report back on your back roads journey and take some pics, we love pics! It sounds like a nice adventure.

Changing the oil & filter on this Honda is a LOT easier than doing so on my BMW airhead. Spin-on filter on the front rather than the foldy thingy that barely fit between the engine case and the frame on the side of the engine.

Valve adjustments, on the other hand, look to be MUCH more involved. Can't have all good things on one bike.

Today, we had sunshine and 57 degrees.

I installed a GPS cable on my bike for when I take trips - like riding to the Fellowship Conference in Denton next month.

Also installed white pin stripe tape, to cover up bad paint on the gas tank and red pin stripes on the side covers I bought on eBay.

Went for a short ride today. Nice.:rider:

Attachments

• DSC00400.jpg
    DSC00400.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 224
  • DSC00401.jpg
    DSC00401.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 203
Stuart, you certainly live in a beautiful and scenic area. The pictures of the house and the build process are great, seems you have put a lot of work and it shows! Congratulations!

Many thanks, Camilo - good to hear from you! We have grand daughters visiting! Had hot dogs and smores by the fire last night. Here's a picture of Joan and dogs relaxing, after the wee ones were in bed.

Attachments

• DSC00416.jpg
    DSC00416.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 206
Well now. My Honda now carries a BMW part in it. I simply could not be without SOMETHING from beemer land!

The vacuum petcock on this Honda has been malfunctioning and the bike got hard to start. So I bought a petcock meant for an airhead from the 70s. No vacuum - gravity fed. I now turn off the gas before I dismount - just as I did on the BMW.

And the Honda starts easily like it used to.

Had a long weekend and rode the old Honda to a church camp meeting in north Arkansas.

Great preaching and lots of fellowship, catching up with an old friend.

680 miles round trip and the old bike ran flawlessly. Better fuel economy than the old Beemer.

Had lunch on the way home at the Skyline Cafe in Mena.

Attachments

• Skyline Cafe.jpg
    Skyline Cafe.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 205
New fork bushings, steering head bearings, and a new-to-me front wheel. Ride is much smoother. Upgrade to rear shock might be a winter project.

It's 182 miles from Gowin, Ok. to the Sept. 29th Pie Run in Ponder, Texas and 190 miles to the October 27th Pie Run in Alba, Texas. Just saying.

Your journey with your Honda is a good and refreshing one. Perhaps you'll be able to be at one or both of these Pie Runs. Refurbishing and renewing an older used motorcycle into a good rider is a rewarding task. Refurbishing and renewing works for humans too :)

Thanks for your encouragement! I am noodling both of those. Do want to make at least one of them. Will make a route for fun to get there.

Back