• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Roll The Bones Rally - October 13, 14 & 15, 2017

Had a blast. One of my first times riding off road other than for a week a month ago in AK. Cooked breakfast with Mike and Kelly Saturday morning, those two were a ton of fun to hang out with. Rode the dirt raid with Brad, Kelly, his wife, Zach, Paul and Lane. Mostly big bikes, and we tore it up! Check out this video of our ride,

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaSbTAIlD4C/

Thank you everyone for being so awesome!

Roll The Bones Rally - October 13, 14 & 15, 2017

Here's a link to my Smug Mug Gallery https://richemerson.smugmug.com/fra...transition=fade&transitionSpeed=2&clickable=1
Me, #2sonTom and Wes rode a version of the Half *** Raid to Loco Coyote. Dave joined us on the long way back to Uncle Gus'. It was another great RTB! I still can't believe I won the Grand Prize! Hope to see everyone next year.
41e19449a9495d396cc418a6cf196643.jpg
20306e1590d36cb0eeb4191b93929a35.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Roll The Bones Rally - October 13, 14 & 15, 2017

Here's a link to my Smug Mug Gallery https://richemerson.smugmug.com/fra...transition=fade&transitionSpeed=2&clickable=1
Me, #2sonTom and Wes rode a version of the Half *** Raid to Loco Coyote. Dave joined us on the long way back to Uncle Gus'. It was another great RTB! I still can't believe I won the Grand Prize! Hope to see everyone next year.
41e19449a9495d396cc418a6cf196643.jpg
20306e1590d36cb0eeb4191b93929a35.jpg

Thanks for leading us (not too astray!) I’ll try to have my Garmin working again next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really had a great time. I carried my camera with me the entire day, but never slowed down to take any pictures. I was hoping other might post some.

Eye didn't get to ride this year but I really enjoyed RTB8 even though I only got to see about half the activities. Jacob and Sarah had a ball. Heard the Rally-Raid was great this year, really sorry I missed it. Thanks to everyone that helped put this together.

Eye didn't get to ride this year but I really enjoyed RTB8 even though I only got to see about half the activities. Jacob and Sarah had a ball. Heard the Rally-Raid was great this year, really sorry I missed it. Thanks to everyone that helped put this together.

If this means you have an injured eye--'eye' hope it heals fast!

Even if you didn't get to ride, we know you were keeping your eye on the ball!

Always good to see you guys.

Well, I missed out. Home with something that had me run down. On top of that, my hip was killing me so the thought of sleeping on the ground didn't help.

Glad it was fun and no major injuries.

I’m actually pretty disappointed in rally. The “dirt rally” was described as ride for small bikes made mostly of dirt. When in fact there was more than about 150 miles of paved roads. 50 of dirt streets. And maybe 10-15 of actuall dirt. Instead of that one part in the beginning, I could done the dirt rally on R1. Or in Chevrolet Cruze. Me personally, and other 4 of my friends won’t be coming back for sure.

I feel the same way. I met some great people but was very disappointed in the dirt raid route itself. It did not live up to the description that was on the RTB website.

I’m actually pretty disappointed in rally. The “dirt rally” was described as ride for small bikes made mostly of dirt. When in fact there was more than about 150 miles of paved roads. 50 of dirt streets. And maybe 10-15 of actual dirt. Instead of that one part in the beginning, I could done the dirt rally on R1. Or in Chevrolet Cruze. Me personally, and other 4 of my friends won’t be coming back for sure.

RTB is good for Big Bikes. But we do live in Central Texas so there is no single track roads out there.

RTB is good for Big Bikes. But we do live in Central Texas so there is no single track roads out there.

I know. But then the description should said that. Description said dirt route for small bikes. Possibly douable on big bikes. And there was 150 miles of pavement. I honestly don’t see any bike not being able to do that route that we rode.
Bottom line, I just feel that the description was deceiving. Should’ve been stated for what it is.

The Dirty Raid was in fact a bit lackluster this year. Particularly compared to some of the relatively spectacular Dirty Raids in recent past. We tried to give attendees something new but missed the mark and for that I apologize.
That said, if you're the type to publicly whine about someone's time consuming efforts for which they receive no profit then dismiss all their future endeavors, your presence won't be missed.

Ultimately, this should be taken as constructive criticism and real feedback on the dirt raid portion of the event. Getting honest feedback should help improve future events.

The Dirty Raid was in fact a bit lackluster this year. Particularly compared to some of the relatively spectacular Dirty Raids in recent past. We tried to give attendees something new but missed the mark and for that I apologize.
That said, if you're the type to publicly whine about someone's time consuming efforts for which they receive no profit then dismiss all their future endeavors, your presence won't be missed.

I’m actually pretty disappointed in rally. The “dirt rally” was described as ride for small bikes made mostly of dirt. When in fact there was more than about 150 miles of paved roads. 50 of dirt streets. And maybe 10-15 of actuall dirt. Instead of that one part in the beginning, I could done the dirt rally on R1. Or in Chevrolet Cruze. Me personally, and other 4 of my friends won’t be coming back for sure.

Maybe you could volunteer and spend some weekends discovering, planning and organizing a better ride for the small bikes. Perhaps bettering it and attracting new riders to raise more money and awareness for our heroes.

He's got a point though. The rally raid had a lot more dirt as a percentage than the dirty raid did. I have been before, so I know it isn't usually that way.

But keep in mind that not everybody attends for charity. Lots of people just view it as a fun rally, and he spent a fair bit of money and time expecting a totally different experience from what he had.

Take it as criticism and move on.

Good point JQ, agree with Goyko, will give it another try next year, hope its better though.

He's got a point though. The rally raid had a lot more dirt as a percentage than the dirty raid did. I have been before, so I know it isn't usually that way.

But keep in mind that not everybody attends for charity. Lots of people just view it as a fun rally, and he spent a fair bit of money and time expecting a totally different experience from what he had.

Take it as criticism and move on.

Fwiw, the "challenge" route a couple years back was a great one, in my opinion, and right around 200mi.

I lost the gpx for it, but if anyone has it, would make an easy dirty raid as long as someone can prerun it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I'm hearing a bunch of constructive criticism, but I'm not seeing any hands raised, volunteering to help run routes for next years event. Anyone wanting to donate their time and money (fuel, tires, and time) are more than welcome to help. You can contact Ghostrider, TxJames, or myself and we will be more than happy to let you send us routes that you feel are better and more challenging for Roll the Bones Rally IX ! Come one come all, put your money were your mouth is ! ! !

TXjames already admitted to the Dirty Raid's shortcomings and apologized.

I'm a "the glass is half full" guy. At least no rain this year, the food was hot and the beer was cold. Some people won some nice prizes and money was made for worthy charities. No profit whatsoever to any of the rally organizers. All volunteered bookoo hours of personal time to make this happen.

And did I say how awesome the Rally Raid was? Yes and I'll say it again and again. I highly recommend it to all, grab the gpx tracks and ride it when you can. Big bike or dual sport.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

TXjames already admitted to the Dirty Raid's shortcomings and apologized.

I'm a "the glass is half full" guy. At least no rain this year, the food was hot and the beer was cold. Some people won some nice prizes and money was made for worthy charities. No profit whatsoever to any of the rally organizers. All volunteered bookoo hours of personal time to make this happen.

And did I say how awesome the Rally Raid was? Yes and I'll say it again and again. I highly recommend it to all, grab the gpx tracks and ride it when you can. Big bike or dual sport.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Well said!

I didn't ride the dirty raid. That may be a fair assessment of the route. As everyone knows, it's very difficult to string together much of ANY off-pavement dirt roads in Texas, & dang near impossible to find many public dirt county roads that riders may find "challenging".

I'd encourage you & your 4 friends to put together an event for 80-100 riders, mapping multiple routes for different styles of riding, line up lodging & food for everyone, co-ordinate a raffle & raise money for charity. All without pay, at y'all's expense, & in y'all's spare time.

If y'all ain't comin back due solely to an un-challenging public road route, I think y'all missed the point of the event. I can ride dirt roads anytime I want. I enjoy seeing old riding buddies, meeting new guys, talking & looking at adventure bikes, & raising money for good charities.

Back