• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Atomic 1000

Texas T

LD Rider
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
[EDIT: there are some photos further down the page. I don't know why these disappeared]

The creation of a new Iron Butt Association certified ride.

The first Saturday in October is one of two days a year in which you are allowed to visit the Trinity site; the location of the world's first Nuclear explosion.
22365450_10209745479263495_67325651846799216_n.jpg

At just shy of 3 am I filled up and and Brenda and I headed for the Trinity site in New Mexico, a distance of just over 500 miles. The site is only open from 8 am to 2 pm and I had forgotten about the time change, so we really should have left around midnight but four hours of sleep is better than nothing when doing a long ride like this.
22196475_10209745469903261_7096648351686949744_n.jpg

After riding through some 37 degree temperatures near Willcox AZ we stopped for breakfast in Lordsburg NM where it was a balmy 45 degrees. I had given Brenda her heated jacket and gloves because she gets cold at the drop of a hat, but I had failed to take my own gear thinking that it was only going to get down to about 47 degrees. Wrong! Big mistake! The lesson learned was to take the heated gear even if you don't think you're going to need it.

From Lordburg we continued east to Las Cruces, got fuel to mark our "corner", and then headed north to San Antonio NM. We obtained our fuel receipt from the town's single dual-hose pump (pay inside only) and then headed for the White Sands Missile Range entrance about 12 miles east of San Antonio.

From there you ride about 5 miles south to the range (Stallion) gate where you are given the once-over and everyone's ID is checked. We then proceeded to the Trinity site via a paved two lane (rough) road. There is a sign just inside the gate entrance that says radar detectors are prohibited, but the guards either didn't notice mine or didn't care. The base is also a No Firearms area but again, they never asked about it. You can take pictures at the Trinity site but nowhere else on the base. If I had been in a cage I would have been shooting photos left and right, but it's a bit obvious when you're on a bike so I behaved myself.

The sign about the radar detector is pointless because mine was falseing on K and Ka bands the entire time I was on the base and even 5-10 miles away from the base. There are radar installations *everywhere* you look, especially on the north side of the facility, but they are up on the mountain peaks as well.

After about 25 miles of rough pavement you arrive at the gravel parking lot and they give motorcycles preferential treatment near the site entrance which is really nice of them.

The entrance is just behind me to the right, and you can see the Wing on the other side of the Trinity sign.
22279839_10209745476743432_6905363904032461152_n.jpg

There are porta-pottys and some water coolers provided, but that's the extent of the "services". Since it's a 1/4 mile walk to the actual test site from the parking lot we were very fortunate that they did provide a golf cart for disabled folks, as I doubt that Brenda would have been able to make the entire trip.

Once you're at the site you discover that the ground around the tower for about 300 feet was depressed up to 8 feet by the detonation. The area took on the shape of a dinner plate; sunken in the center with a raised edge. There is a small clump of concrete/rebar above the surface which is what remained of one of the tower legs. Everything else was vaporized. The bomb had been in a shelter at the top of the 100 foot high tower when detonated.
22310260_10209745482943587_1185495595485597482_n.jpg

Just like at the Four Corners monument, everyone waits their turn to get their photo taken at the monument itself.
22405980_10209755583396092_6438487067584705608_n.jpg

22308892_10209745475343397_2578257696285842083_n.jpg

The entire area is still radioactive, but a couple of hours spent there will not affect you all that much. Still, they do have signage to let you know that your being there is at your own risk.
22405999_10209745477663455_5282243546423292114_n.jpg

Since we had arrived so late we did not have time to visit the MacDonald House, a tour that requires you taking one of their shuttle buses to get there. The Balloon Festival was going on this same weekend, so if it plays out again the same way next year we'll probably make a long weekend of it and visit ABQ first for the balloons, and then come down to Trinity earlier in the morning on Saturday for the full tour.

We mounted back up and headed home, stopping in Truth or Consequences for dinner and fuel, and then back through Las Cruces and Lordsburg before reaching home just prior to midnight.
22279509_10209745467623204_3046863405049322703_n.jpg

Total odo miles was just under 1150, and total GPS miles was 1097. Time was just a few minutes shy of 21 hours.

Brenda's stroke anniversary is next Monday morning, so this was very much a celebration of her recovery from four years ago. From not knowing who I was, or who her son was, to not knowing her name, not being able to walk or talk or eat; to being able to ride a SaddleSore 1000 after only being back on the bike for six months is remarkable. She was very tired and sore the next day, but she was glad that she went. The intention had been for me to go alone, but at the last minute she asked to go as well, so after some serious discussion about how hard this would be, she still wanted to do it.

Which brings me to this, the Atomic 1000. After getting home and getting my paperwork in order I emailed Mike Kneebone and described the ride to him and sent him some photos. He agreed that this should be a new Iron Butt Assoc ride and will certify it as such, which means that Brenda will be the first pillion to have that certificate (once everything gets approved).

Mike will have to be the one to formally announce this and what the requirements will be, but my suggestions were as follows.
It can only be done on one of two Saturdays a year in which the range is open to the public.
The Trinity site must be either an end point, or a waypoint as part of a SaddleSore, or Bun Burner style ride.
This is very similar to the requirements that were in place for the Eclipse rides a few months ago.

I don't know how they will verify arrival at the site unless it is a combination of a photo / Spotwalla map / and a fuel receipt from the San Antonio station, but that will be up to them to determine.

All in all, it was a good ride, although poorly planned. Thanks for following along.

22279834_10209746418966987_6214008524219340308_n.jpg

22308558_10209755169785752_1470778332684526323_n.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations to both of you, especially Brenda!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds like a great, if somewhat arduous, excursion. Trinity, as a historical site, is absolutely unique in the world. Wish I'd made it out there when I was in college in El Paso lo all those years ago, but I wasn't much focused on history in those days.

Haven't thought of Truth or Consequences in years. We used to drive up to Elephant Butte from time to time.

Trinity, as a historical site, is absolutely unique in the world.

When you think about the brain trust that walked that dirt 70+ years ago, it's mind boggling. I doubt the world has ever had such a collection of minds in one place since then.

Thanks for taking us along. BTW... I've heard the twice yearly visiting days are kind of iffy now. Sometimes they cancel one or the other. I'd be pretty sad if I went all that way and found the place closed.

When you think about the brain trust that walked that dirt 70+ years ago, it's mind boggling. I doubt the world has ever had such a collection of minds in one place since then.

Possibly NASA in the Mercury-Gemini-Apollo years. That would be about the closest in modern times. And of course, that was a different clientele - brilliant engineers as opposed to scary brilliant theoretical physicists.

Good for you and Brenda. Man it is such great news to hear she wanted to go. Continued recovery to Brenda and many more miles ahead of you both.

bah!! we have pie runs once a month and man can that be quite a collection of "minds" in one place. :lol2:

That's awesome. No motorcycle parking when I went, just parked with the rest of the herd. Did they have it roped off for the photos? I am insanely jealous that you don't have a throng of people in the back ground. Sigh..

DSCN1481_zpsba0df86c-L.jpg

FYI, the radiation level you experience over the time you are there is less than one x-ray.

The great thing about heated gear is if you don't need it, you turn it off. ;)

Did they have it roped off for the photos? I am insanely jealous that you don't have a throng of people in the back ground.

There was a good amount of folks still there late in the afternoon (I think we left at 2:30) but most of them were to the left of monument out of the camera's view. No, it was not roped off.

I'd really like to be able to spend 2-3 hours there next time.

Nice, my round trip was about 1500 miles, but over two days. Spent too much time sight seeing to get anything like this, congratulations on being first, that's a nice certificate.

Nice, my round trip was about 1500 miles, but over two days. Spent too much time sight seeing to get anything like this, congratulations on being first, that's a nice certificate.

Thanks. You can do a standard Bun Burner (1500 miles) in 36 hours. The Bun Burner Gold (1500 in 24) is the tough one.

Yea, I had planned on spending three days on the road originally. My wife's grandmother had taken a fall and was in the hospital so I cut the trip short and head home a day early. Had I known in advance I could have documented it but that's how life goes.

Mike announced on a FB page that they would be developing the rules for this over the winter, but the IBA will put out the details in plenty of time for folks wanting to do this for the April 7, 2018 Open House. He told folks to start planning their rides now.

I hadn't planned to go back until next October, but maybe I'll do the ride again in April just to see what kind of turnout we get.

Yesterday was the three year anniversary. I'll post a couple of photos since the originals seemed to have died. And just FYI, but she can no longer tolerate the long rides so my LD riding has been cut way back.

IBA Atomic 1000 SS.jpg

IMG_20171007_134558.jpg

IMG_20171007_142109.jpg

IMG_20171007_140329.jpg

IMG_20171007_140533.jpg

IMG_20171007_140246.jpg

FB reminded me today that this was the day I got my certificate in the mail back in 2017. I know of one person that did the ride this month, but I haven't heard of anyone else. That should put the total number of riders at right around 20-25 so it's still a fairly exclusive club at this point.

I’m planning on doing this with 3 other friends in April. Any tips for those of us who haven’t done it?

I’m planning on doing this with 3 other friends in April. Any tips for those of us who haven’t done it?
It's actually pretty basic. You just have to get the timing right. To my knowledge there is no place at the Trinity Site to get a dated/timed receipt, but there is a gas station and some restaurants in San Antonio which is on 380 just east of I-25 which are acceptable. Remember: Location, Date, Time. A photograph of the receipt with your odometer reading is always good. SpotWalla is your friend as your tracker will show you at the site, plus a photo of your bike next to the Trinity sign (motorcycle parking is right next to the sign) will be required.

You don't have to do a round trip as I did, it just worked out well for me to do so. You could hit 1,000 miles at the site if you like, and then spend the night in San Antonio or one of the other nearby towns.

Just keep in mind:
The gate is only open from 8-2. There will be a line at the gate. It is typically very long at the beginning of the day and then lightens up later. I think we arrived around 1 pm and we still spent about 15 minutes in line. Have proper ID with you. No firearms so if you're carrying, hide it away in a saddlebag. They usually do not search anyone. Radar detectors are not allowed on the Range but mine was visible on the dash and they didn't say anything. They are worthless anyhow since there are so many radar emissions you may as well leave it off. The speed limit on the Range is low and the road is fairly rough.
Be sure to read all the info on https://home.army.mil/wsmr/index.php/contact/public-affairs-office/trinity-site-open-house and adhere to all their rules and regulations. Check that site at least weekly as you get closer to the event in case they make any last minute changes. Make sure you're on the correct time zone. You wouldn't want to plan on a 1:30 pm arrival and have it actually be 2:30.

If I were to do it again, I would plan for a late morning arrival at the site so that I could do all the touristy things which I missed out on.

Good luck, have fun, and let us know how you make out next year.

Atomic 1000 cup A.jpg

Atomic 1000 cup B.jpg

We are tentatively planning on riding to Lubbock on Friday, getting a hotel there, and starting the official ride from there early Saturday morning. Get to Trinity early, get to San Antonio for a receipt (and a burger) and get back to Austin to finish the ride. This will be the first official Iron Butt ride for 3 of us. One of the guys has his SS 1000 already, and maybe the Bun Burner as well. We’ve all done long, high mileage days before, just not for the recognition.

Sounds like you won't have any issues with this ride.
Just read, re-read, and re-read again the requirements so there are no surprises when it's time to submit the paperwork.

Did they actually require reflective gear when riding on the test site? It says so on the FAQs, but I wonder if that is dated. DoD did away with that requirement several years ago.

Did they actually require reflective gear when riding on the test site? It says so on the FAQs, but I wonder if that is dated. DoD did away with that requirement several years ago.
I truly don't remember. I know I carried 2 hi-viz vests on the bike because we needed them to go onto Ft Huachuca a few years back, but I can't remember if we wore them or not. My guess is that we didn't.

Back