• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend Adventure In June - Experiences, Lessons, and Gear

This is all great info, and I really liked your report on BBRSP, Tourmeister.

I'm trying to take advantage of the full, albeit limited, capabilities of the Wee and to increase my off-pavement skill. I certainly wouldn't want to go somewhere and just get in trouble.

That being said what are the opinions regarding a Wee on the other primitive roads in the National park (River Rd, Glenn Spring, Black Gap)?

:tab I don't think this can be over stressed. The main roads in the ranch are easily done on a V-Strom, as is the Casa Piedra road that runs all the way back up to Marfa. However, most of the side roads in the ranch start out deceptively nice and then quickly get very technical. I am sure it CAN be done on a Vstrom, but the odds of being injured and tearing up the bike will be very high. The tougher riding sections in the ranch are MUCH more technical and challenging than anything in the National Park. If you absolutely must try it on a Vstrom, I strongly recommend installing a FRESH set of TKC 80s on the bike before you do it.

:tab Here is a report I did from a trip back in 2011. We were ALL riding 650 or smaller DS bikes. The guys on KLRs could do it, but they were working a lot harder than the guys on the smaller bikes.

My first (and NOT last) trip to Big Bend Ranch & State Park 12/28/11-01/01/12

There really aren't many pictures of the rougher sections because I was so busy trying to survive them that I didn't stop to take pics...

That being said what are the opinions regarding a Wee on the other primitive roads in the National park (River Rd, Glenn Spring, Black Gap)?
It varies.... Last time I was on River Road I could have taken my Tenere down it with nary a worry. It had just rained a few days prior and the sand was damp, firm, and epic. There are other times where I have been down River Road and I was glad to be on a 450 plated dirt bike. Those were the days when it hadn't rained for weeks/months and the sand was fine, deep, and oh so loose.

For Black Gap, I would be more worried about chucking a rock into the motor/oil cooler on baby head hill. Other than that, the road usually isn't too difficult. That is assuming that there hasn't been any road destruction thanks to Mother Nature.

I personally would not take a V strom down River Rd or Black Gap. I'd do pretty much any other roads in the park though.

Speaking as one that started his DS riding on an R1150 GS, I wish I had learned my dirt skills on a smaller bike. It is easy to learn bad habits on a big bike just because you are dealing with the weight and handling limitations inherent in such bikes. I never really cared for how my 650 Strom felt off pavement. It did not inspire any confidence. The KLR was much better. My KTM is light years better than the Strom and KLR. I'd do any road in the NP on a KLR but I would want a set of knobbies and a 14 tooth front sprocket on it (which is how I rode mine in the park). My riding skills improved a lot going from the big GS to the KLR, and them even more after getting the KTM. All that said, a skilled rider can do a lot on a bike like the Strom, but it is not a good learning platform for stuff more technical than most graded roads. Trying to push the limits of the bike when you are not experienced is a recipe for damage to bike and rider. Again, I speak from experience on that :doh:

I highly suggest attending one of UlyBrad's dirt riding classes. Or, attend the Texas Adventure EPIC rally in Arkansas this fall and do the Adventure Riders International training classes. Both are great sources of training and will do wonders for your skill and confidence.

Trying to push the limits of the bike when you are not experienced is a recipe for damage to bike and rider.

Strooth. While I was riding the jeep trails in Big Bend I was constantly reminding myself that the object of the exercise was to ride my undamaged motorcycle out without injury to myself. It would't take much of a mishap to leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere, in the unrelenting sun and with litle hope of somebody coming by to help you out.

Personally, I wouldn't do the ride without a buddy along.

I personally would not take a V strom down River Rd or Black Gap. I'd do pretty much any other roads in the park though.

Speaking as one that started his DS riding on an R1150 GS, I wish I had learned my dirt skills on a smaller bike. ..

I highly suggest attending one of UlyBrad's dirt riding classes. Or, attend the Texas Adventure EPIC rally in Arkansas this fall and do the Adventure Riders International training classes. Both are great sources of training and will do wonders for your skill and confidence.

Good tips! I had seen references to UlyBrad's classes on TWT but wasn't quite sure what they were. Followed up on it now and look forward to taking his class. I might even do the ARI class at EPIC this fall.

Trying to push the limits of the bike when you are not experienced is a recipe for damage to bike and rider.

Strooth. While I was riding the jeep trails in Big Bend I was constantly reminding myself that the object of the exercise was to ride my undamaged motorcycle out without injury to myself. It would't take much of a mishap to leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere, in the unrelenting sun and with litle hope of somebody coming by to help you out.

Personally, I wouldn't do the ride without a buddy along.

I absolutely agree! So I'm trying to learn and practice...

---

This is such a great forum! I really appreciate all of the comments, support, suggestions!

It varies.... Last time I was on River Road I could have taken my Tenere down it with nary a worry. It had just rained a few days prior and the sand was damp, firm, and epic. There are other times where I have been down River Road and I was glad to be on a 450 plated dirt bike. Those were the days when it hadn't rained for weeks/months and the sand was fine, deep, and oh so loose.

For Black Gap, I would be more worried about chucking a rock into the motor/oil cooler on baby head hill. Other than that, the road usually isn't too difficult. That is assuming that there hasn't been any road destruction thanks to Mother Nature.

Thanks, Bill! Do you have any suggestions on areas in / near DFW where one can practice in sand / deep gravel (not the gravel country roads outside the metroplex, but real, deep gravel?)

Great write-up. Thanks for taking us along. I love the BB, and love camping up in the Basin, but I've never been there on a bike, and frankly don't think my riding skills are up to handling something as heavy as a Wee on those roads.

Thanks, Bill! Do you have any suggestions on areas in / near DFW where one can practice in sand / deep gravel (not the gravel country roads outside the metroplex, but real, deep gravel?)

Gravel, not really. But if you want deep sand and lots of it, then just head over to Trophy Club if it has been awhile since the last rain. You will get all of your fill of deep sand and then some. You must be a glutton for punishment to actually want to take your Strom into deep sand.:lol2:

Great report. Nice pics. I have not been there but I think you have might have peaked my interest. If you get in this area again let me know.

Excellent trip. Great photos. I took a solo trip to BB last April and loved it. My R1100R was great so long as I stayed on the pavement, I did ride the Old Maverick road, made me a little nervous just because I was riding alone. I also took the Texas mountain trial out of Marfa and tried to go down Pinto Canyon...the photo of my bike on TWT is where I stopped and turned around to head back to Marfa! That was my first solo trip...definitely recommend BB to every rider. Your story really brings it all back. Thanks.

And a few months later - here's the video - with the original goofy comments and the v-twin engine the only soundtrack for nearly two hours. First 22 minutes are Dagger Flats. Old Ore adventure begins at 22:35. Puddles start at 1:30:00.

[ame="http://youtu.be/ByUUcfEQrXI"]http://youtu.be/ByUUcfEQrXI[/ame]

Back