• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

09 BMW R1200RT final drive

Reaction score
Does anyone have the necessary tools to pull one apart? I have a rotten oil leak from the inner seal and was going to try to repair it...however without the proper tools it seems that I am foiled before I even start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. Well the drive is finally laying on the floor of my garage, I have a mashed thumb and the snapon guy was by the house earlier with a T55, 24mm and a set of circlip pliers that I needed...and he’s $65 richer, but I have to say I do like their tools (first ones I have bought).

Yep. Mashed the crap out of my thumb, cursed a bit but it’s drained and sitting inside two trash sacks ready for its trip to Fort Worth in the morning.

Oh...you meant completely. No. Never did get my hands on a puller so it’s off to LoveKraft in the morning. They gave me a very reasonable quote.

Cool you are brave jumping into that. They have special tools for a lot of parts I'm told
Sorry about your thumb. I mostly cuss garden hoses and lawnmowers :)

Last edited:
Well removing the final drive was not bad. Took every single torx I had, plus a t55 that I had to buy. The hardest thing was the large pivot pin (for lack of bmw terminology). That was a t55 on the inside and a 24mm on the outside (two of my snapon buys) and the circlip on the outside (the third buy from snapon). I grunted, pissed and moaned and swore for a while because it was hard going, then I engaged my brain and warmed the thing up with my hot air gun...the bolts went way easier. I looked at the bmw instructions from their dvd and saw that they had a special multi bevel drift punch....realized that I didn’t and tried a 3/8 socket extension with a few love taps with my hammer and it just popped out. That was the only part of the disassembly that I had to even look at instructions for, the rest was pretty much just eyeballing it and using some common sense. It really wasn’t bad and now I am certain that changing final drive oil and living splines are a piece of cake.

I am going to replace the brake pads before reassembling it as my old ones had a nice drenching with gear oil from the final drive. Not sure if they retain it or not but I’m not willing to find out the dead way.

65c55607ce0cfe89e2965d65a66cc441.jpg

All pulled down except for that pivot pin.

b51dcf882337aaae262075f7aa7219e8.jpg

24mm with circlip on the outside of the pivot pin.

I guess I also figured out that the splines needed cleaning and proper lubrication too while I was doing this.

Last edited:
OK all back together. I ended up taking the drive up to Lovekraft Motor Werke (formerly Perry's) in Fort Worth, they resealed it for me and did a great job for very little money...highly recommend Dominic and his crew up there!

Back