• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hill Country DS Ride, Austin, Jan 10, 2015

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
This ride is cancelled due to the bad weather we are expecting on Saturday.

Let's start the New Year off right with a dual sport ride in the Texas hill country. I'm leading a dual sport ride into the hill country on Saturday, Jan 10, 2015 and all riders are invited to attend.

_1110091-L.jpg

This ride is being sponsored by TJ's Cycles, 2535 Ridgepoint Dr #300, Austin, TX 78754 (please note that TJ's has moved to a new location). They will be providing breakfast items (donuts, or tacos, or pigs in a blanket, etc) and will open the store early for us. Please make sure to thank Tom and Brian Johnson for their generous support.

_1110083-L.jpg

_1110074-L.jpg

Meet at TJ's Cycles with a full tank of gas. Breakfast will be from 8:30am - 10am. Riders meeting at 9:45am. Stands up at 10 am.

From TJ's we will ride west toward Mason, hitting some dirt once we get west of Hwy 87. After about 180 miles of riding we will arrive in Luckenbach for a late lunch. After that our route will be all pavement back to Austin and the end of the ride.

The route to Luckebach will include a bunch of really fun, one lane county roads that can be ridden on any street bike. We will also enjoy some fun hill country dirt roads with a few low water crossings.

This ride is suitable for all types of dual sport adventure bikes, with the only caveat being that you need to be able to run 70 mph on pavement since our route includes some state highways.

There are no planned gas stops on this route. If you don't have a 200 mile range, I suggest topping your tank in Bee Caves. The next closest opportunity for gas will be in Fredericksburg. You can also carry spare gas.

We will divide into smaller groups (6-8 riders per group) with a ride leader for each group.

Email me at rgibbens@austin.rr.com and I will send you the route in both route and track format for use with your GPS. I created the route in basecamp using City Navigator North America 2012.

A bad weather/rain decision will be made Friday evening and posted here so be sure to check this thread if there is a chance of bad weather on ride day.

Last edited:
Can JT lead an early onset dementia group? If so, this is going on the calendar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Trail Boss, sounds like fun...I'll bring a few down with me from the Fort Worth area, please send GPS file whenever you can. Thanks Littlegeneral

Can JT lead an early onset dementia group? If so, this is going on the calendar.

Be careful what you wish for, I was thinking I'd do just that. :nana:

I'm planning on attending. (never mind, see update below)

Might even remember to bring the oil filler cap this time ... :oops: ...which I didn't do last time, and this clearly qualifies me for the EOD group. :lol2:

(thanks again to the guys at TJ's for bailing me out!)

Update: Unlikely to make it after all as I've been instructed that I'll need six weeks to recover from some hardware reclamation from my knee that is scheduled for Friday 12/19. Catch y'all next time!

I'm a probably. Should be riding dirt bikes in the area the next day as well, just haven't decided where (Emma long, Hidden Falls, GSL Ranch, etc).

Just a heads up. Some portions of the route that I have seen go through private property with locked gates. I sent a PM to Trail Boss. I have first hand knowledge because part of the route goes through our ranch and some other family members places. Late anterless and doe season is also in effect Jan 5th-18th in many of the counties on the route. I plan on attending but will be exercising caution.

Last edited:
****. Hate it when that happens. Hate it worse when it happens to me.

Dave,

Thanks for the heads up - sometimes it's difficult to get Basecamp to route the way I intend. I have changed the route so that we are on county roads, not private ones.

Where did you find the route? I don't see it in this thread anywhere.

_

It's not posted on this thread - I'm emailing it to anyone who wants it. My email address is in the first post on this thread.

I'm just a maybe, but want nothing to do with locked gates and private property! I'm chicken,lol.

Back