• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tired of the SHNF MUT trails being closed? DO SOMETHING!

Thank you for reminding us ... See you there. I will try and make some of the work days too.

Thanks Sandman, we would like everyone who rides SHNF to try and attend this meeting and show the forestry service we want our trails back for riding again asap and we are united in our efforts.....

Why SHNF is closed(long read but good info)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This article by Brian Perret of TRH says it very well. Please read....

"As you all probably know, the multi-use trails in the Sam Houston National Forest have been closed and will remain closed until further notice. Our focus needs to shift to getting the trails at the SHNF back open. It can only happen if YOU act.

To give a little history on how we got to where we are, we’ll attempt to bring you current. The Sam Houston National Forest used to be an ocean many years ago, and the surface is made of silt, or what we call "sand," followed by a laundry list of sedimentation layers. So the biggest problem it faces, or rather we face, is erosion, which has gone into overdrive due to the large amount of rainfall we've received over the past few months. I've been riding out there since only about 2009, but I can honestly say I've never seen anything like this. The ground has fallen out below root systems, and even getting a four wheeler over these areas can be hazardous. No big deal, right? Just reroute the trail. Well, it's not that easy. The trails we ride basically create little creek bottoms, and so with heavy rainfall, causes those trails to erode more than the land surrounding them. It would make sense to just make a little “cut-around” and go on like nothing happened, right? Not so fast. A simple cut around will only cause erosion in another area 5 foot from the original problem. So we've really just put a band-aid on the actual problem by creating an erosion pitfall somewhere else within the footprint of land we use. How we fix this will be discussed, and we will get heavier into these technical details of how to repair trail later, but for now, I digress. The mentality we take in approach to this problem is more important.

So, why are we in the situation we're in? The forest service looks at equestrians and motorized as having the most impact to the forest, compared to hikers and cyclers, and rightfully so. Let's face it, we are. The Forest Rangers monitor and facilitate repairs to the trail system, but cannot themselves alone fix the problems we face. I say "we," because "we" are the people that use the trails and "we" are the people responsible for them, and there are multiple organizations that have facilitated work days to repair and improve the trail systems. Obviously, without "we," the Forest Service cannot maintain this trail system, and bottom line, they don't need to. They need the help of regular attendees (you and me), to put in the labor to combat the hazards that cause them to close the trail system. So let's just have a big workday like we normally do, and go out, fix the problems, and get the trails back open, right? Again, not so fast. This is a noble approach and The Forest Service appreciates the work we do, but they also look critically at WHAT and HOW we do when we have work days. Historically, we have a work day, and we go out and hack brush for a few hours, then we mount up and go have fun for the afternoon. Makes sense to get some seat time out of going and doing manual labor for a few hours, right? I completely agree. Unfortunately, those days are over. The powers that be in the forest have seen this all to often, while the trails are officially closed, and we're not supposed to be riding recreationally. But the sentiment is that if“...I go out and work in the forest, I should get a special pass to ride the same day.” Again, it makes sense, and a large portion of you may have no idea what I'm talking about, or say "I've never done that," but the truth is, others have, and it reflects on all of us as a community. For example, if you're riding a dirt bike, you are associated with the other guy on a dirt bike riding down the road unplated. This is just the way things are, but we combat that by being as tight-knit as possible and informative as possible to the others in this "community.” We ALL need to heed the warnings of the Ranger Service and the people heavily involved with the forest. Well, right now, their warnings are serious. Before these trails can open back up, plenty needs to be done, and it must be done correctly and in proper fashion. The sentiment of the “community” needs to change. The only way this can go our way, is if we play ball and do things the way the Forest Service wants them done, and I can tell you, playing this game will go a long way with them.

Believe it or not, The National Forest does care. It’s their job to care. Historically they afford us knowledge and the tools to be successful. This is not a battle of “them vs. us,” and you must know and understand this. They even noted this in the press release in the recent closure. I would suggest this closure hurt the District Ranger as much as the motorized community but for different reasons. They would say they failed in providing the correct path to motorized to manage the damage and repair despite the amount of rain. Additionally, further pain would be expressed in allowing other elements access. They’re not playing favorites, but like we stated before, other elements don't have safety issue thresholds as high as motorized. The Forest Service has tried for years but we are “hard-headed” and have not worked as united as the other elements. This is the key. The Forest Rangers are unaffected by the trails closing, meaning they will still have a job whether the multi-use trails remain open or closed. What makes them want to help us help ourselves is to simply see that we care about the trails we use as much as they do. So how do we show that? In this trying time for the trails, it’s imperative that no motorized vehicles be used to access the trails, even for work. Bikes, quads, UTVs; you must leave them at home. It's best to not even bring them to the forest. If you're going out to help, leave the toys at home. Unless express permission is received from the Forest Service or the Trails Coalition, leave motorized vehicles at home.

In the same breath, I'm going to urge you to come out and help when you can. TRH will have work days, but also the ODODB (Old Dudes On Dirt Bikes) will have work days with organized pushes to accomplish a certain task. The Trails Coalition is our liaison between us and the Forest Service so we have direction on what and how to accomplish what we need to. This is accomplished by having our motorized representative represent us with the Forest Service. Ed Ponikvar is our motorized representative but he is not going to dictate or direct volunteers. He is an effective translation of how to be in compliance and how to operate safely and without wasted effort. Often we may not like what is being said or what is necessary but Ed knows the requirement and if a process can be accelerated he will get that process reviewed and approved. Ed Ponikvar is also the (SHTC President) he was unanimously voted by the hiking, cycle and equine community to represent the Coalition at a state and national level. He has expressed many times how important it is that we simply show attendance and log the hours if nothing else. Soon, we'll be releasing a ton of information on what and how exactly needs to be done to get us all moving in the right direction. The most important thing at this time, is that you know their website address, which I will include at the bottom of this communique. This is where you can join for a small fee (if you like) and log your work hours. So far as I know, this is the most important thing. Attendance goes a long way in convincing the Forest Service that we care. But remember, the attendance must be helpful, and not counterproductive. Like I said before, leave the toys at home. At this point, even being seen in the forest with a bike or quad in the back of the truck is bad for our cause.

If you're new to working in the forest, you may be asking yourself, "what can I do?" Images are powerful. Review your forest compared to others. Although we don’t own it, act as if you did. If it needs mowed, mow it. If the gate if broken, fix it. Paint peeling, trash, whatever needs done let's do it.

It’s extremely important that we all get out of this “demise mentality,” come together, and do what needs to be done. The future of our trails depends solely on us. At this point, we determine what happens next. I implore you to get involved and start with communication. If you’re unsure of something, ask. We need the feedback, so we know where everybody stands. This is how we know what and how to disseminate information so everybody is informed. More information will be forthcoming. Please monitor your email and social media."

Ok --- we are riding this weekend at Rio since we will be riding at the Forest after the meeting. I think I have a hand full of people coming with me on the 20th. Should be an interesting meeting.

Sandman, you do know all the MUT trails in the forest are closed to motorized, ie dirt bikes, right? There is no riding dirt bikes "in the forest" till the safety issues get resolved.

if the feds even see dirt bikes or atv`s out there its like not a good situation for anyone. Lets hope everyone can afford to show up to Meeting on 20th:giveup:

So, what's the point of the meeting? We tell them we'd like to ride on our land. They tell us we can't. We ask what it's going to take. They tell us an environmental study that'll take 10 years or so to complete. My frustration is peeking through here.

I like to prepare for meetings. They take less time if we all do that. How are we to prepare effectively for this one? Any advice?

So, what's the point of the meeting? We tell them we'd like to ride on our land. They tell us we can't. We ask what it's going to take. They tell us an environmental study that'll take 10 years or so to complete. My frustration is peeking through here.

I like to prepare for meetings. They take less time if we all do that. How are we to prepare effectively for this one? Any advice?

:clap:

The point of this meeting? the Quarterly SHNF Trails Coalition business.

Am going because like or not I AM effecting change by helping to represent all motorized trail users.

The point of this meeting? the Quarterly SHNF Trails Coalition business.

Am going because like or not I AM effecting change by helping to represent all motorized trail users.

Go Fly! I hope you do make a difference!

Go Fly! I hope you do make a difference!

Am not a social butterfly some who are better at expressing themselves towards common goals hopefully will attend. I don't express myself very well or come across as politically correct as others do.. At times
(there I said it ) . I just want to ride. and to maintain what ours in the first place.

Boy RG, I think we all are feeling the frustration here. But we need to stay focused on getting the trails back and keeping them open in the future. This will take an all out effort from all of us who love to ride the SHNF to do this. Once we finally get them back to specs, the maintenance part should be a lot easier, knowing what we need to do now to keep these things from happening in the future. This meeting is just to show we still care and want our trails back. Volunteers will be the key in the future to keep the trails open, but we have to get the current problem behind us before we can move on and start riding again. Frustrating=YES, Impossible=NO. We need to pull our motorized community of dirt riders together and show we care and are willing to do what is necessary to ride the SHNF. Forestry service will not be handling the repairs of our trails in the future, but we as volunteers with the help from the Texas Trails Coalition will be.

FYI---reminder that Saturday morning is the Texas Trails Coalition meeting at 8:30 at the Gulf Coast Trade Center. We hope all will join and show to support our efforts to help get our MUT trails back open in the SHNF. Volunteers are the only way we can keep these trails open in the future. SHNF is the only public land in Texas I know of that you are able to ride your motorized vehicle on a off road trail. Let's not loose this right. Support the TTC.

A question that could be asked at this meeting: Since the trails are no longer open and recreational opportunities limited - lessening USFS responsibilities, how many FTE's (full time employees) will the forest service be cutting from the local office staff?

A question that could be asked at this meeting: Since the trails are no longer open and recreational opportunities limited - lessening USFS responsibilities, how many FTE's (full time employees) will the forest service be cutting from the local office staff?

I can answer that RG, there is only one person now in all of recreation in the SHNF. 10 years ago there were 7. This is part of the problem.

Last edited:
Back