• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

*New* 2009 BMW G650 X Country

Reaction score
Other than the new color, it features a lower seat height (2 inches less) and a few other improvements like an adjustable brake lever.
I hope they keep bringing it here as I have heard the Supermoto and the Enduro are not imported anymore. They are great fun!

Attachments

• 09 G650 X Country.jpg
    09 G650 X Country.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 451
I like it! There was an article in Ride Texas a couple months back reviewing it. IIRC they gave it a good review.

It seems like these bikes are just now starting to catch on, and I'm really sorry that BMW has discontinued the XChallenge. It took me a long time to realize its purpose, but I now like mine alot. So much that last month I got my wife an XCountry. This is her fourth bike, and the first time she rode it she said, "We should have done this a long time ago!" She now wants to ride every weekend and it is great to see her excited about riding again. The dealer (Lone Star) lowered it about 1/2" by adjusting the rear shock and lowering the fork tubes, but I didn't realize how much lower than the XChallenge it is until I put them next to each other. They are fuel injected, have ABS, and plenty of power. I recommend them to anyone because they are really fun to ride.

276787822_Cpy2P-M.jpg

276787836_8SAZo-M.jpg

They are both a little lighter than the F650GS, and also a little smaller physically. The standard F650GS has a dry weight of 387 lbs., the Challenge is 318 lbs., and the Country is 326 lbs. Another major difference is the seat height. The F650GS's seat height is 30.7", the Challenge's is 36.6", and the Country's is 33".

I first thought that the XChallenge and the XCountry would be very similar bikes but I actually found them to be very different. The Challenge is much more of a dirt bike, but the Country shouldn't have any problems when ridden carefully on rough, dirt roads.

I think that the F650GS would be a better longer distance traveling bike, especially since the G650's only hold 2-1/2 gallons of gas. I wish they had larger tanks so I wouldn't have to carry an extra gallon with me. It only fell off the rack one time. :mrgreen:
276831093_LXAi8-M.jpg

GSer,
How would you compare them to the F650GS? It's the only reference point I have.

GSer,
How would you compare them to the F650GS? It's the only reference point I have.

10 times more fun than the F650GS! The X Country begs to be ridden hard and still returns awesome gas mileage (even though not quite as good as the F650GS). A screen is now available for the X Country. I think it's Aeroflow that makes it - not sure though, I'll have to check my BMWMOA magazine.

I like it! There was an article in Ride Texas a couple months back reviewing it. IIRC they gave it a good review.

Well, kind of. The bike was given kind words for most things. The small tank/short range was mentioned, and....5'3" editor Val ripped the bike and BMW for jacking the saddle height up three inches loftier than the F650. Probably half the ride review was about sliding off the saddle to hold the bike up at an angle at stop lights and worrying she'd get in a situaltion where she'd need to put a foot waaaay down on uneven or loose ground. The experience inspired her to write that month's editorial on needlessly tall saddle heights on many new bikes.

She said she didn't understand why a company would go to the effort of designing, making and marketing a new model that 2/3rds of the riding public would be uncomfortable riding because of the saddle height. With BMW now taking a bath on left over '07 tall boys and coming out with this new lower '08 model, it looks like she got the last laugh.

Tom

BTW, according to what I read on the 'net (and if you see it on the internet, it must be true), these 2008 Xs will have their 650 engines manufactured by Chongqing Loncin in China rather than by Rotax in Europe.

If the savings in manufacturing cost doesn't appear in your local BMW showroom, I wonder where it goes?

Tom

BTW, according to what I read on the 'net (and if you see it on the internet, it must be true), these 2008 Xs will have their 650 engines manufactured by Chongqing Loncin in China rather than by Rotax in Europe.

If the savings in manufacturing cost doesn't appear in your local BMW showroom, I wonder where it goes?

Tom

I am not sure about that... I thought it was for the 450 bike. I think the 650 engine is still rotax made...

Not an industry insider, but best available info: The 450cc single is being manufactured by Kymco in Taiwan, the 800cc parallel twin is made by Rotax in Austria and the 650cc is in fact manufactured in China.

Best,
Tom

Since my XChallenge is an '07 and the XCountry is an '08, tonight I will look carefully at the engines to see if I can tell any difference in them, or to see if they have different names on any parts. Maybe their exhaust notes have different accents. :lol2:

I am not sure about that... I thought it was for the 450 bike. I think the 650 engine is still rotax made...

The engines in both of mine are Rotax, made in Austria. I guess that is why I didn't get the discounted price. :mrgreen:

At least some of it did appear in the showroom - I see there was a price cut between '07 and '08.

Tom

Not an industry insider, but best available info: The 450cc single is being manufactured by Kymco in Taiwan, the 800cc parallel twin is made by Rotax in Austria and the 650cc is in fact manufactured in China.

Best,
Tom

If Rotax is not making the engine for the 650, does it mean BMW had to pay Rotax for using the engine? Isn't Rotax that came up with the engine in the first place?

Hi, I've had my G650 Xcountry for three months now, got the one with the high seat, got a really good deal in Oz … 30% discount. Thing is I need to lower the thing down to the 840 mm seat height as I commute on the thing and wildly pitched roads can be a pain.

Now the dealer told me that messing with the knobs will make the rear spongy and this will effect the handling. True or false ?

Back