• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Are we in trouble for this...

Gilk51

Reaction score
First Name
Charles ("Chuck")
Last Name
Gibke
Will we be drummed out of TWT on a rail? :eek2:

Did we make a big mistake? :giveup:

I'm tired - details tomorrow, but here are a couple of teasers:

paperplate_5051q.jpg

I think it may play music...

mp3emblem_5061q.jpg

OK, maybe not...

500emblem_5060q.jpg

:rider: :mrgreen:

oh, yeah, it speaks Italian!

Awesome... I wanna ride it... BEFORE Squeaky :-P :lol2:

Oops - here is why we might be in trouble:

frontwheels_5055q.jpg

It has THREE wheels! :eek2:

and shootergal has said "the T in twtex could also mean 'Three'" :mrgreen:

:lol2:

Those are very cool. I saw that Piaggio is going to release a hybrid MP3 that gets 170 MPG.

Early last week, an Austin local on the Modern Vespa forum posted that an MP3 or two had been on display at the ROT Rally the weekend before. A quick call to Vespa Austin found that they had two 500s at their San Antonio location. One was the red and black color scheme than the wife (tortuga) wanted. It took a couple of days of soul searching and a discussion with the credit union to see if we could afford an expensive scooter (the insurance check from the Atlantic didn't begin to cover the cost). We finally decided that having Susan riding again had major theraputic advantages... :zen:

A call to VA on Friday set a deposit and also found that the scoot could be transported up that afternoon and be available on Saturday. We made plans to go down after lunch (I already had plans to meet my son in the morning to poke holes in paper targets).

We blasted down I35 and wandered around downtown Austin in the rain after bailing the freeway due to a backup.

vespaaustin_5044q.jpg

Susan discusses paperwork with Marci.

d70susan_marci_5045q.jpg

and she gets operating instructions from Jimmy, the service manager.

instructions_5046q.jpg

It's complicated! Maybe she should get this one instead? ;-)

scooter_5052q.jpg

Finally, we are ready to go. Jimmy was very patient with all of our questions.

susan_jimmy_5054q.jpg

Concentration or apprehension?

firstflight_5055q.jpg

With the rain to the north and the traffic on Lamar Street, we checked the map and opted to take 71 out to the west and up to US281 and home.

On the road - I tried to stop and take some pictures but bungled the episode and they didn't come out. Here is a "catch up" shot:

ontheroad_5057q.jpg

Passing and shooting half blind thru the window.

thruwindow_5058q.jpg

I'll have to get some more pictures. Watching her in the rear view mirror, the ground contact of 3 tires looks odd - your mind wonders what is dragging or if something was picked up on the road.

We needed to vary the speed and didn't really get up above 70, so it took a long time to get home. I gave Susan a break and put about 100 km on the scoot between Burnet and Hamilton. We both agreed that the stock seat totally sucks! :doh: But the handling is amazing.

She also got a lot of double takes from folks passing us on the road. :sun:

The list of farkles in the near future:
seat work
windscreen
top case
air horn
probably a light bar like Dail's for better rear visibility...

Still, this one sure looks like a keeper... :thumb:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I can't wait to hear her impressions on riding it. It has to very different even though it leans like a two-wheeler. I can't believe you guys didn't call me or something.

Looks like these guys could use some razor wire....
instructions_5046q.jpg

Those things are so cool. Saw one in traffic and what caught my eye was it did an impossible swerve maneuver for a bike. Really amazing. Have fun with it.:rider:

I just wanted to let you know that this is my bike. Let Gilk51 ride your bike and he thinks it's his...:doh:

This bike is awesome. The handling is quick. The accerlation is smooth and continuous. My A500 would skip to remain continuous. This is such a wonderful bike. I have already bonded. That means I will have to give her a name.
I would like to thank Gilk51, (He never listens to me. Maybe he'll read this), for all the support and the willingness to take on this extra debt. He is a keeper!

Piaggio makes several version of the MP3. A 250 went through the MSF ERC here last year without any problems. Top speed for all 3 models range from ~75 to ~90. Certainly reasonable. They are a little pricey but will get more people into 2(3) wheel travel. Remember that Piaggio has several labels under their umbrella to include the costlier Vespa brand. They've been around a LONG time.

I just wanted to let you know that this is my bike. Let Gilk51 ride your bike and he thinks it's his...:doh:

This bike is awesome. The handling is quick. The accerlation is smooth and continuous. My A500 would skip to remain continuous. This is such a wonderful bike. I have already bonded. That means I will have to give her a name.
I would like to thank Gilk51, (He never listens to me. Maybe he'll read this), for all the support and the willingness to take on this extra debt. He is a keeper!

Susan....it is great that you are riding again!!!! You better be at a) Friday night ice cream b) Hico Pie Run or c) a combination of a & b this week!!!!

VERY cool! I soooo want to take a little spin on that beauty. When are the demo rides? :trust:

VERY cool! I soooo want to take a little spin on that beauty. When are the demo rides? :trust:

I'd like to get my name on that list as well (surprise). My wife REALLY wants one of these and if I can figure out how to swing it financially, I'd love to get one for her if they are as reliable as they are...um...distinct. :mrgreen:

"TWEE"? That's a name that could stick!

Back