• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Uncle's Around the Bend - Feb 19-22, 2009, Big Bend

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
Uncle's Around the Bend​
"Non-Event" Event

Dual Sport and Street Riding in the Big Bend

February 19 - 22, 2009

Terlingua, TX

Big Bend is full of fantastic motorcycling adventures. From one of the best twisty paved roads in Texas (Hwy 170 from Terlingua, TX to Presidio, TX) to the most scenic dual sport road in Texas (Pinto Canyon Road), Big Bend is a motorcycling paradise. It doesn't matter whether you ride a street-only motorcycle, an adventure touring bike, or a true "street legal dirt bike" there are a wealth of riding opportunities for all motorcyclists in the Big Bend area.

Uncle's Around the Bend Non-Event: Uncle is pleased to sponsor this 2nd annual "non-event" event and invites all motorcyclists to join him the last weekend in February for a long weekend of motorcycling adventure. Ride, trailer, or otherwise get you and your bike out to Big Bend on or around Thursday, Feb 19th. Spend Friday and Saturday exploring the Big Bend. Head home on Sunday. If your schedule permits, you can even show up early or stay late.

What is a "non-event" event? It means this ride isn't like other organized rides & rallies. No sign up. No registration fee. No banquets. No set schedule to follow. Just show up, ride, and have a great time. Whether you attend by yourself or bring your friends, there will be others to ride with. Ride when you want, where you want, in the middle of winter and in the middle of nowhere. Team up and head out on an adventure. Got a few extra days off? Then come on out early. Or stay a few days late. Uncle will be around and he's a friendly guy. He can recommend roads to ride, or ride with you, or drink a beer with you, or even toss a few horseshoes with you in the evening (especially if you are buying the beer).

Rider Meeting: Riders are invited to converge each morning at 9 a.m. at Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe to meet up, find someone to ride with, and/or select the day's route. Come early if you want breakfast or to enjoy Kathy's campfire (highly recommended).

If possible, please bring some firewood with you to Big Bend. Kathy always needs firewood and there just isn't a lot of firewood available in the desert.

Evenings: Each evening at 6 p.m. there will be an informal rider gathering on the front porch of the Starlight Theater / Terlingua Trading Company to drink a few beers, grab a meal, and share the adventures of the day.

Hanging Out at Uncle's Place: Uncle says stop by his place and say hello. The grid coordinates to Uncle's place are 29°18'49.32"N 103°36'33.39"W. Most evenings you can find Uncle and lots of riders hanging out at his campfire, having an adult beverage or three. Bring a chair if you don't want to sit on the ground.

Sleeping: Need a place to sleep? Grab a room at one of the local motels; there are several to choose from. Uncle suggests the El Dorado hotel in Terlingua as the "Uncle approved" hotel of choice. It is a nice place to stay and is centrally located. The last time Uncle checked single rooms were $79 per night and doubles were $89 per night. Their phone number is 432-371-2111. Tell 'em Uncle sent you.

Camping: Uncle has some camping at his place and lots of overflow next to his place at Gareth Park. Most campers end up at Gareth Park, which can be good and bad (good = lots of folks to hang out & visit with; bad = might be a little too close to snoring campers; the good probably outweighs the bad).

There are camp sites at the Study Butte Motor Lodge where you could pitch a tent for a few dollars.

Dirt or Street? Is this a dual sport event or a street bike event? Yes! It is both. It doesn't matter what you ride, there will be places to ride and people to ride with, so come on out. You won't regret it.

There are some awesome paved roads in the Big Bend area that really shouldn't be missed, especially if you are a Texas motorcyclist.

Uncle got has a nice DR350 dual sport bike and usually leads small groups off into the Big Bend boonies, so if you've always wanted to go play in the dirt at Big Bend this is a wonderful opportunity.

What if you don't have a motorcycle? That's okay, come on out anyway. There is lots of cool stuff to do in Big Bend in the middle of the winter and the weather is nice. Besides, we are probably going to need a designated driver or two each evening.

Who's In Charge Here? No one. You are. This is a non-event. No one is in charge and there isn't anyone to complain to if things aren't organized the way you would like them to be.

Will it be Fun? Absolutely! No question about it! We are going to have a blast. If you haven't ridden in Big Bend before you simply don't know what you are missing. If you have, then you already know how much fun it is. In any case, if you miss it, you only have yourself to blame.

T-shirts? You betcha! Sweat shirts too. Mrs. Dirtbike Dave (Demra) was kind enough to design a cool logo for this year's event and orders are being taken. Place your order for a t-shirt or sweat shirt here.

Can we ride in Mexico? Not only can you ride in Mexico, but we think you should seriously consider it. Actually, there is a really awesome canyon (Peguis Canyon) about 25 miles south of Ojinaga, Mexico that is well worth a visit. You don't need any paperwork to visit it either; just cross the border and head south, you can't miss it. Bring your passport or birth certificate though, so you can get back into the US.

For you dual sport riders, I've heard there is some good off-road riding in the desert outside Ojinaga. Somebody needs to go explore that area and get back to us with a good ride report.

Mark your calendar. Hope to see you there.

Last edited:
Done deal. I will be there the weekend before the event and staying throughout. That Mexico thing is sounding pretty cool, I think that might have to make it's way into my plans.

I AM IN

Will be arriving the weekend before the non event. Is it Feb YET !!

Most probably in. Submitted time off at work, just have to wait for the approval.

I have made my hotel reservation. I just need to put it on the family calendar in hopes that my lovely Wife will not schedule a business trip for the same time. Only problem is, we don't have a 2009 calendar hanging in the kitchen yet.

Put me down as a definite probable- van camp and bring the DR650, leave the FJR at home this time.

I'm in! The boss approved my vacation time today!:clap:

Camping in my truck and bringing my dual sport. I plan on arriving a few days early. I'll be coming solo so I'll be looking for people to ride with.

Looking forward to meeting y'all and can't wait to ride!:rider:

Speaking of being in, I happen to have an extra slot in my trailer as well as the cab of the truck for anyone that might need a lift from the DFW area. Just please remember, I am going down the weekend prior to the non-event and staying throughout. Not just for the weekend.

I will have to see if I can sneak this into my work scheduele for Feb. Not sure about getting there.. as I might have to ride out unless I can find a ride on someones trailer. But I would just be camping.. just need a patch of dirt for a tent for me.

Josh

We hope to be there. We're traveling the area in our 5th wheel RV trailer and old F350 with 2 Super Sherpas hanging off. Plan on spending a couple weeks in Big Bend NP as well.

Dick from Oneonta, NY

humm..... this sounds fun ..... I like the idea of a "non-event"! and this doesn't interfere with the enduro schedule, yeah, I"m in! I think my little wr250f is gonna like this! anyone got some gps data to share?

I am going to plan on it. Have even convinced another Florida rider to come along. Bringing my enclosed trailer to camp in. Loyd--Where are you going to set up your toy hauler?? Working on an another dual sport bike I just bought. 2001 KTM 300EXE -TWO STROKE. If I get it running good - I might bring it. Was in the area earlier this year on my V-strom. What a wonderful place to ride.
Cotton

Back