• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A quick trip to Ashland, MO

Janet

Reaction score
First Name
Janet
I have a friend that decided a while back to have a 9-11 memorial ride and get-together at his place. He has a farm in Ashland, Missouri just north of Jefferson City and this year was the 6th year for the event. I had not been since the 1st one in 2004.
The weekend consists of hamburgers and hot dogs on the grill Friday evening, followed by fireworks. Saturday is breakfast in Jefferson City and then a ride out through the rolling hills of the countryside that is crisscrossed by three different rivers in the area. We end up just south of Vienna at Moreland's Restaurant along the Gasconade River for catfish lunch. This is followed by more twisty, hilly riding back to town for a little rest before dinner back at the farm. Dinner is catered by a local BBQ guy and is accompanied by more laughing and story telling. The riding continues on Sunday, but I had to be back in Dallas Monday morning, so that was the end of the party for me.
One of our friends was just back from Iraq safely, so it was a special weekend to have him back there with us.

On to the ride......

I left out of Dallas Thursday morning amd headed up 75. I always feel that there is nothing better to get your blood flowing first thing in the morning than a spirited juant up Central Expressway during rush hour. :eek2:
I made it out the north end of the mess and stop for breakfast at the IHOP in Dennison.
After breakfast I headed on north and noticed a confererate museum in Atoka. I had been by here many times, but had never seen it on past trips.

Who knew that the shopping cart was invented in Oklahoma? :ponder: (taken with my cell phone...)

DSC00518.jpg

There was a monument to the Butterfield stage. This is for Elzi…

DSC00519.jpg

DSC00520.jpg

A historic cabin and church that were nearby on the grounds. It was a very well done exibit for such a small museum.

DSC00523.jpg

DSC00524.jpg

Headed on north, I decided to cut over to Tulsa and take a look at Route 66. As I have posted before, I have been on all of 66 from Shamrock, TX west to Santa Monica, but only bits and pieces of it on the east side. After arriving in Tulsa, I went west into downtown on 66, then turned around and came back east.

The Farmer’s Public Market building was beautiful. I love art deco and this was a great example.

DSC00526.jpg

DSC00528.jpg

DSC00529.jpg

DSC00530.jpg

I did not get a lot of pictures in town, mostly because I was a little pressed for time. I did not get to go see the Boston Avenue United Methodist Church. I am sure I would have loved it.

DSC00531.jpg

I stopped at Tally’s Café for a lunch of an open faced roast beef plate and fried green tomatoes. It sure was good.

DSC00534.jpg

DSC00533.jpg

On the road again, I went through Catoosa and saw this :clap:

DSC00535.jpg

I was so excited! I had read about the Blue Whale and had seen it on TV many times, and here it was right in front of me. I know this sounds stupid, but this was the highlight of the entire trip,

DSC00537.jpg

DSC00539.jpg

DSC00536.jpg

DSC00540.jpg

The bridge over the Verdigris River

DSC00541.jpg

DSC00542.jpg

I went through Claremore, home of Will Rodgers without stopping, but there was lots of things to see as I was passing through town.

A few assorted photos taken along the way heading northeast
Things that “Used to be something” It was kind of sad to see these places that were new and special in another time….

DSC00543a.jpg

DSC00544.jpg

random shots

DSC00547.jpg

DSC00548.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

DSC00553.jpg

Cool bumper sticker. No idea why…..

DSC00549.jpg

For Tim K.

DSC00551.jpg

Packard dealership in Afton

DSC00554.jpg

DSC00556.jpg

peeking in the window...

DSC00558.jpg

DSC00559.jpg

Another place that “used to be”

DSC00560.jpg

I had a little free time to kill while someone with the Oklahoma State Police was checking on my driving record….
(Just a warning - 74 in a 65 completely out in the middle of nowhere…...

DSC00562.jpg

DSC00561.jpg

On to Miami, (pronounced Myamuh by those that live there, for some reason…) :shrug:

The Coleman Theater, 1929

DSC00563.jpg

and the last of the Waylan’s Hamburgers the Ku-Ku chain. There used to be over 200 in the chain…

DSC00565.jpg

DSC00566.jpg

NEXT

DSC00567.jpg

Baxter Springs

DSC00568.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

DSC00571.jpg

DSC00573.jpg

Rainbow Curve Bridge

DSC00574.jpg

DSC00575.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

"Used to be......"
Spring River Inn, built 1905. Burned down

DSC00580.jpg

Galena train depot

DSC00583.jpg

NEXT

DSC00584.jpg

I met up with some friends in Joplin that were heading my way. The next morning, all decided to come with me as we continued East on 66 to Springfield. I didn’t get to stop for pictures much, but I did get this one…

DSC00585.jpg

We turned North in Springfield and went by Lake of the Ozarks on the way to Jefferson City.
No pictures.
Once arriving at the motel, we met up with more folks headed to the farm. A lot of people were camping at the farm, but there were quite a few at the motel.

My trusty steed on the farm

DSC00605.jpg

DSC00606.jpg

sunset at the farm

DSC00603.jpg

Saturday morning after breakfast, we all headed to the capitol for a group shot. I did not take the “official” photo, but here are a few random shots

DSC00610-1.jpg

DSC00618.jpg

DSC00612.jpg

In the countryside

DSC00620.jpg

DSC00619.jpg

DSC00622.jpg

After lunch, a friend and I broke off from the group. We headed back over some of the roads we had just come down in order to look around and take a few pictures.
All that is left of the mill town of Paydown, MO.

DSC00632.jpg

DSC00633.jpg

DSC00634.jpg

DSC00636.jpg

DSC00637.jpg

DSC00639.jpg

DSC00642.jpg

In Vienna

DSC00644.jpg

DSC00645.jpg

DSC00648.jpg

Check out the hinges on this Catholic church’s doors in Westphalia

DSC00653.jpg

DSC00651.jpg

And it was back to the farm for dinner.

Sunday morning I left Jeff City and went south to Rolla where I got back on 66 and headed west.

Sunrise

DSC00655.jpg

A few assorted 66 pictures from Rolla back toward Springfield.

DSC00656.jpg

DSC00657.jpg

DSC00658.jpg

DSC00660.jpg

DSC00662.jpg

I hit the interstate in Springfield and headed home. I hit rain at the Missouri – Oklahoma state line and was in it all the way to my driveway.
Back in Texas

DSC00663.jpg

DSC00665.jpg

"Silence is Golden, but Duct Tape is Silver"
I like that!

:tab I love all the "used to be" shots! I often encounter old and run down places and wonder what they must have been like in their prime. So often we take for granted that many thing will simply endure forever. I like reminders like this that things don't always work out as we might expect.

Thanks y'all. I had planed to head to Chicago after the Moonshine Lunch Run this last April and start at the top. Somehow, I managed to end up in California instead. :scratch:

I guess I have some kind of mental problem, I get depressed when I see that old, run down stuff. That Country Court sign that obviously had neon when it was new.....now long forgotten.

It was a nice trip. Exploring that stuff by myself was great.

Now that I have everyone questioning my sanity, I will say,
thanks for the kind words.

Thanks y'all. I had planed to head to Chicago after the Moonshine Lunch Run this last April and start at the top. Somehow, I managed to end up in California instead. :scratch:

That must have been some good moonshine... :mrgreen:

I love old Route 66. That farmers market is really cool! Was it open for business? Nothing better than some fresh fruit on the road.

I love old Route 66. That farmers market is really cool! Was it open for business? Nothing better than some fresh fruit on the road.

No, There was no farmer's market. You can see on the front of the building all of the businesses that were open.

I guess I have some kind of mental problem, I get depressed when I see that old, run down stuff. That Country Court sign that obviously had neon when it was new.....now long forgotten.

Now that I have everyone questioning my sanity, I will say,
thanks for the kind words.
"Question your sanity"? Why? Everything's relative :mrgreen: We're all bozos on this bus!

I'm with Scott; all the run down, old things intrigue me. They grab me because they make me think about the times and places when they had meaning for other people. All that's left are accessories and coincidentals that had life around them at one time. As if they are memorials left behind. But you don't really know the stories and you have to imagine what they are in the context that was then and now.

A French philosopher commented that we are more than just bodies, and minds in our bodies. We are part of what we have around us, they are all a part of us: machines, buildings, changes in the landscape, animals, plants, even the weather. Because we impact our environment (in the context of everything around us) as well as our environment impacts us.

When our bodies die and are gone, parts of us still remain. All those things you saw and photographed. They still mean something, but some of the pieces are missing. So the observer has to think about what was or might have been, including the context of society and culture (including economic and political) of that time, and fill in the blanks.

But we can't recreate what it meant back then because we are looking at it through our mind's 'eyes'. In other words, in the context of today: our values, society, culture, economic and political situations. And from the prospective of us as individuals.

Nevertheless, one can either shrug their shoulders, continue on and forget, or weave all we know, what we can hypothesize, and what we imagine, into stories and narratives. For me, this is the attraction, and the nature of my insatiable curiosity. Are these stories authentic? We don't know. We may never know. But that's the nature of history.

Try that on for size next time on your travels and see what stories form in your head ;-)

Thanks for the photo of the Butterfield Trail monument. Glad you had a good time and missed the rains.

Bravo Janet! The Route 66 pics are great.

Route 66. Ah - One of these days........

.... what we can hypothesize, and what we imagine, into stories and narratives.

That is where I am coming from here. I can almost see opening day. The wife taking a picture of her husband next to the pretty new sign in front of his new business. The travelers driving late through the night and coming around a curve to see the bright neon inviting them in out of the weather for the evening......

I do have one odd thought though....

Is anyone besides me impressed with the paint job that they put on this sign way back when?
:clap: Bravo

DSC00543a.jpg

Back