• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Devil's Highway ride report

I love that road, wish it were closer. Even so, I've got to enjoy it four times and the weather was splendid every time. Even got to spend some time on some of the NF roads. A rider could burn up a lot of vacation time up there on a GS. :rider:

Would you believe I did it on my TW200?:eek2: :lol2: A couple miles south of Hannagan Meadow look for a sign that says Blue Vista Scenic Overlook. There were 2 different thunderstorms out in the distance and the sound of the thunder rolling through the mountains combined with the view was absolutely beautiful!:sun: My only disappointment was I was the only one there to see it. Hope you get a chance to get off the highway and wander around the FS roads:flip: cause if ya don't, you will not have seen a 10th of the splendor.

A couple miles south of Hannagan Meadow look for a sign that says Blue Vista Scenic Overlook.
You mean this one? :trust:

wht%20mtn%20sunrise34.jpg

wht%20mtn%20elevation.jpg

wht%20mtn%20warning.jpg

:eek2:

:clap::clap::clap::lol2: The locals hate the wolves. I'd never actually heard one in real life until I was laying in bed at my cousin's cabin in Alpine when they started raising **** behind the house. I stood strait up in bed!:eek2: It was the creepiest, most eerie thing I'd ever heard!! It was fascinating!!:clap:
I rode up on a couple bears too. One of them was on a dead end road at a place called Horton's Creek S. of Alpine and W. of Hannagan. It was going the other way and I had to backtrack in the direction it ran. It scared the &*%$ out of me!!!:rofl:

:clap::clap::clap::lol2: The locals hate the wolves. I'd never actually heard one in real life until I was laying in bed at my cousin's cabin in Alpine when they started raising **** behind the house. I stood strait up in bed!:eek2: It was the creepiest, most eerie thing I'd ever heard!! It was fascinating!!:clap:
We were camping between Blue Vista and Hannigan Meadow the night before I took those photos. Having grown up in Tucson I'd heard coyotes calling all the time, but this was the first time I'd ever heard a pack of wolves howling. It was right about 4 am and just like you, it brought me wide awake. I don't know how far from the campsite they were, but it sounded like it couldn't have been more than 100 yards or so. I was very happy to be inside the travel trailer that night.
:trust:

Dang, I just went and looked at those photos again... I sure have gotten fat since those days.

Off to ride it. I'll try to post a ride report on Sunday. You can follow my SPOT tracks by clicking on the link in my signature.

Nice vid on old 666. touched on it briefly in '04. Now need to do it all soon. Thanks for sharing.

Do you guys carry when running around in the NF out there in case you encounter unfriendly wild life?

Do you guys carry when running around in the NF out there in case you encounter unfriendly wild life?

Most of the guys in the Goldwing group I ride with carry. Some have one on them and one on the bike. I'm not currently carrying but will once the new law is in effect (I never applied for my AZ CHL). :doh:

The bears will steer clear of you if you give them a chance (make a lot of noise), the wolves are primarily active at night. The only thing you really need to be careful of up here is the Elk.
:rider::eek2:

Back